Good-Bye Coors Light (kinda long)

Options
Okay so here goes. This is something I have avoided thinking about and part of the reason I didn't want to really get serious about weight loss and evaluating my habits. I'm a weekend warrior. I don't drink during the week, but come Friday night, I party.....all weekend....sometimes until Sunday night which makes for an awful Monday. I try to limit myself to a couple of beers a day, but that almost always turns into at leat a 6 pack a day.

I love the taste of beer...I always have and always will. I don't care for any other type of alcohol, only beer, and only Coors Light. I was trying to think of the reasons I drink too much on the weekends. I have a stressful job (I'm a civil litigation paralegal), I have a 2 and 1/2 - 3 hour commute everyday, I'm gone from my home at least 12 hours M-F, and on and on, but that is just normal everyday life/stress. I love my job, my commute doesn't bother me too much on most days and life in general is really good. So what is it? Well, the bottom line is, I love a good beer buzz (not being drunk). The reason I like the buzz is because when I drink I no longer have a weight problem. I feel like I become thin, pretty, I don't have health issues (I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol), and basically I just feel awesome. I like those feelings, so I don't want to stop having them. However, I'm no longer satisfied with "feeling" those things.....I want to "be" those things.

Drinking too much on the weekends has severly affected my weight and general health. I would like to say that I should just limit myself to one or two beers and count the calories, but I know me and I know that once I feel relaxed, all bets are off. So, I have to say good-bye to Coors Light possibly forever. I will re-evalute my ability to have a beer once I reach my weight goal to see if by being at my healthy weight changes my perception of the beer buzz feeling/need.

This will be tough for me. We have an extremely active social life that includes lots of camping, BBQs, dining out, parties, etc. where beer is always around. I know it should be easy to give up beer, because unlike food, you don't need beer to live, but I really like feeling positive about my body/person and overeating doesn't do that for me (makes me feel the opposite), but beer does. I will have to constantly remind myself, that the feeling I get from drinking is not reality......eating right, exercising, and not drinking will lead me to the reality of being thin, better health, and more attractive in general.

Thanks for letting me put this out there.

Replies

• 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Wow.. that's very insightful! Thank you for sharing!

I do the same thing... but with ice cream and the like. For some reason it makes me feel better .. but only for awhile.

I think you are on the right track. Now you know the why.. it's just a matter of the slow ride to being the person you want to be without the need for pretending with beer. It can and will happen.
  • aflewis1
    aflewis1 Posts: 12
    Options
    I found Budweiser Select 55!! It still tastes like beer (if that's what you like) and it still get's you a good buzz. give it a shot, just don't over do it. there's 139 cal in a bottle of coors light. there's 55 calories in a bottle of Select 55. If you still want to go out and have a good time then try the select. it's actually not bad at all. i prefer the taste of it over anything else and it's 1/3 of the cals from your normal beer.

i got made fun of at first but i was like.."hey, i'm out here having a good time with you guys and you're going to make fun of what i chose to drink? I'm making a lifestyle change for myself and this just so happens to include it!!" and then made fun of them for something (i hang out with a bunch of bikers so if they aren't picking on you, they don't like you and vice versa!! lol)

so anyway..give it a shot!!!
  • jyrowe34
    Options
    Sandy, I know just how you feel. I kind of operate the same way on the weekend and believe I am in denial. I am just not ready to give up beer altogether, so I am working on my limitations. I have been successful a couple of weekends and then comes the stress where I fall back into that bottomless pit. I am still looking forward to the day where I can be at a reasonable weight that I am pleased with and still be able to drink a beer if I want. Thanks for your story because it is truly inspirational.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I am so with you! I love Coors light too!:drinker: :blushing: Also, after I've had a few I'm likely to want to snack, usually something salty! Bad!
    I'm sure that's partly the reason me weight got so high in the first place.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Good luck sista!
    It's a hard thing to do when your social life revolves around it - trust me - I know!
  • RDTaylor13
    RDTaylor13 Posts: 160
    Options
    I know where your coming from. I use to drink for that exact same feeling. it takes a lot of sefl control for me not to slip back into old habits.

I wish you luck in giving up your Coors Light.
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I can relate... I gained all this weight because of a too close relationship with wine. And, as a cocktail waitress / bartender, it's a part of my every day life, like it or not. For me, taking alcohol out of my life completely began to make me feel like I was being punished... like I had no freedoms left... so I took a couple of weeks off and have resumed drinking wisely... one or two nights a week and watching my calories while I do it. I think that this lifestyle change is just that... a change in your life. But I also think it's important to still feel like YOURSELF. Drinking is certainly not an identity, but it can be used as a treat to have some fun with your friends. At least, I think so.
  • dhaverly
    Options
    Oh my gosh! I just got done with logging my food for yesterday and had a few too many Coors Lights for happy hour yeserday, and then went home and ate 2 brats!!! So I feel your pain! I love beer too, and then I love snacking afterwards and that's not good! I wrote myself a note that if I want to lose this weight, I have to cut down on the beer, or cut it out all together which makes me kind of sad, but I know It will make me feel better in the long run, and you as well! :) Good luck to you! :)))

P.S. I am from Wisconsin, so beer and brats are a staple here.....this is going to be tough! lol!!
  • NoelleLou
    Options
    I am also with you & Jacki! I LOVE me some Coors Lights.. My husband & I do the same thing on Friday nights.. And I have been thinking how those calories affect my intake.. But like you, after one- I justify it to myself.. Ill do more cardio during the week or Ill walk 2 miles instead of 1.. And when the Coors Lights are drank & we are sitting giggling- somehow we end up with chinese delivery & Im eating my days worth of calories in a sitting~ before bed.. Ive found though lately now that I am eating better & working out I dont seem to want or need the "beer buzz" My healthy choices changed my attitude & I didnt need it.. Give it a few weeks. You can always go back to the Coors light! LOL Good luck!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! I just got done with logging my food for yesterday and had a few too many Coors Lights for happy hour yeserday, and then went home and ate 2 brats!!! So I feel your pain! I love beer too, and then I love snacking afterwards and that's not good! I wrote myself a note that if I want to lose this weight, I have to cut down on the beer, or cut it out all together which makes me kind of sad, but I know It will make me feel better in the long run, and you as well! :) Good luck to you! :)))

P.S. I am from Wisconsin, so beer and brats are a staple here.....this is going to be tough! lol!!

As I was reading this post and you mentioned going home to eat brats I said to myself "this person has gotta be from Wisconsin" LOL I'm from Wisconsin as well. Nobody knows what brats are here in Texas. Weirdos! JK JK!

Good luck with giving up the Coors Light!! It's gotta be tuff!
  • coppertop07
    coppertop07 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I too am a lover of beer. In fact, I swear my family has a Coors Light-loving gene! My personal philosophy is that beer does not make us fat, it's the Mexican food (and Whataburger!) we eat when we've been drinking that makes us fat! In fact, I love beer so much and want to lose weight so badly, and believe so strongly in my philosophy, that I have trained my buzzed brain to resist the urge to eat. It wasn't easy and didn't happen in one weekend, but after I while I've learned to resist late night munchies. I find it really helps to have a high-protien dinner (usually a steak and baked potato!) with my first beer of the evening, and that not only helps to keep me from getting too drunk, partially by making me feel full so I don't drink as much, but also allows me to resist taquitos and quesedillas, etc when my friends drag me to Whataburger or Taco Cabana at 2am. Another thing that helps is laying off the beer for a couple of weeks altogether. After a few weeks w/out the deliciousness of beer, I find that I'm much more satisfied with just one or two. So I guess my advice to you would be to give it up for a little while, then when you are ready to have one, have it w/a steak!
  • BRITBRITNOLA
    BRITBRITNOLA Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am glad someone posted about this. Being a true New Orleanian, my weekend starts on Wed night. All the mixed drinks and daiquiris and bar food to boot is killer and soooooo abundant here. And it's good bar food too lol, pretty much resturant quality so it's more irresistable. I have a my b/f's med school party tonight and am scared I will negate my progress with the alcohol. What advice do you guys have for liquor, not beer, consumption?
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options

As I was reading this post and you mentioned going home to eat brats I said to myself "this person has gotta be from Wisconsin" LOL I'm from Wisconsin as well. Nobody knows what brats are here in Texas. Weirdos! JK JK!

Good luck with giving up the Coors Light!! It's gotta be tuff!

I'm from Wisconsin too guys - If I can do it - so can you!
  • 2bthinsandy
    Options
    I'm sorry to have so many people going through this, but I'm glad to have you all here to help. When I have a few I think to myself...."hey I look good, I feel good, I don't have weight/health issues, and I can eat whatever I want." I can drink like a man and unfortunately I can eat like one too (of course I weigh the same as many men). Hanging out with my DH and his buddies all the time probably doesn't help either. :laugh: So, tonight will be the 1st Coors Light free Friday night for me in a long time. I just really need to get the weekend beer habit broken now so I can truly look and feel better and truly be more healthy.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    2bethinsandy-
    Off topic, but what a CUTE avatar photo--Hot dogs:noway: and beer, What a combination!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, I know what you mean about the beer. I like Michelob Ultra Lime, and Killian's Red, and my all time favorite Hefeweizen with a wedge of lemon. Unfortunately, alcohol seems to stall my weight loss in its tracks, even if it is within calorie limits.

So, I just decided to not imbibe until I am closer to my goal. Maybe I will treat myself to a beer on Thanksgiving!!

Also, BRITBRITNOLA, who was asking about dealing with liquor. If you are going to drink hard liquor, it's the mixer that can be a calorie minefield--fruit juice for example. Club soda is a good mixer with vodka, and a lemon or lime wedge. Blended drinks, like Margaritas are dynamite!! If you don't have blood pressure issues,(because canned tomato or V8 is high in sodium) and you can't handle the prospect of soda, an alternative might be a bloody Mary, as the tomato juice isn't as high in calories as fruit juice or soda.

I avoid diet drinks, because of the effect that artificial sweeteners has on my carb cravings, but if you don't have that problem, there's always diet coke and rum. I have seen people post that they like diet coke with vodka to, but that doesn't appeal to me personally.

Cheers!! Here's to good choices for all:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: < would you believe he is drinking water?? LOL
  • 2bthinsandy
    Options
    Hi Weaklink109.......my pic is my weiner dog Holly, from Halloween 2009. She still loves that costume for some reason. LOL

Your statement of "I avoid diet drinks, because of the effect that artificial sweeteners has on my carb cravings, but if you don't have that problem, there's always diet coke and rum. I have seen people post that they like diet coke with vodka to, but that doesn't appeal to me personally. " Peaked my interest. Do you think there is a connection between artificial sweeteners has on my carb cravings? I am huge carb craver and I don't want to undermine myself by drinking diet drinks or artificial sweetened foods.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm with you too, except it's me and most alcohol beverages. to make it worse i'm in an all or nothing place because that drink leads me to that snack or bean dip that i didn't plan on, which eventually leads to me totally blowing my day or even a week. I'm hoping if i just avoid for now while i try to drop the weight that once i reach my goal weight i can balance my diet or drinks by excercising and prevent the weight from coming back. That being said- I really do miss my beer, wine, jack and maragaritas. Oh well a new healthier body is well worth missing the bad stuff for awhile and who knows maybe by going with out I'll discover my social groups are still cool and love me without the need for alcohol. (right now it's too much a part of a lot of our lives and being a fire family our weekends are any days off that they give us (the 4 days)) as the Jullian says- it's a life style change, not just weight loss-so if i want it to stick that's what i have to do
  • Freckles3
    Options
    i <3 this post - although it stinks we are all in this boat - I love a good beer... or a cocktail... and it is not the alcohol that brings me down... it is what I eat after :grumble: I am going to try to avoid it tonight... (sat. will be a wash - little bro's 21 b-day... but i can jump back on sun... and hopefully a good dry week or two will help me realize if i can't stay away from the snacks... i can't have my beer :drinker:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi Weaklink109.......my pic is my wiener dog Holly, from Halloween 2009. She still loves that costume for some reason. LOL

Your statement of "I avoid diet drinks, because of the effect that artificial sweeteners has on my carb cravings, but if you don't have that problem, there's always diet coke and rum. I have seen people post that they like diet coke with vodka to, but that doesn't appeal to me personally. " Peaked my interest. Do you think there is a connection between artificial sweeteners has on my carb cravings? I am huge carb craver and I don't want to undermine myself by drinking diet drinks or artificial sweetened foods.

Try an experiment-- for a week don't consume ANYTHING with artificial sweetener in it, soda, "diet" foods, anything, including those pink or blue packets or yellow packets (Even Splenda is no good, made from sugar, but processed with chlorine-Yuck!) Get yourself some Stevia sweetener. There is a brand available in a lot of grocery stores now called Truvia, in packets or bulk, or you can find it in your health food store. Keep track of your cravings. About halfway through the week, you are likely to notice they are lessening, and by the end of the week, you may be "cured." The secret is, --don't start using the artificial stuff again., or you get to go through 'withdrawal' again.

I proved this to myself unequivocally about 2 weeks ago. For about 3 weeks, I had been following a low carb regimen (HCG protocol) and not having any problems resisting carbs, and while at the county fair, I splurged on a slice of sugar free peach pie, that must have had a BUNCH of something artificial in it because the next week was a constant battle and turned into "carbfest 2010":mad: I thought I was over it, but I just couldn't seem to get past the cravings. Then I realized that in the past few days, since I had been helping a friend through a tough time by meeting and talking at Starbucks in the evening, I had been absentmindedly ordering sugar free syrup in my coffee, and of course there is artificial sweetener in there. I stopped that practice and within three days, no more late night carb attacks.

When I first learned about this connection, when I started MFP back in April of 2009, I figured it didn't apply to me, but since I was eating all the carbs I wanted, how the heck would I know. I have become much more aware of the difference between physical hunger and a craving, so I finally made the connection as it applied to me.

Good luck!!!
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am glad someone posted about this. Being a true New Orleanian, my weekend starts on Wed night. All the mixed drinks and daiquiris and bar food to boot is killer and soooooo abundant here. And it's good bar food too lol, pretty much resturant quality so it's more irresistable. I have a my b/f's med school party tonight and am scared I will negate my progress with the alcohol. What advice do you guys have for liquor, not beer, consumption?

I used to live there and when i go back i can gain 5 to 10lbs in a week eating everything i love and miss. As for Liquor- i just try to do my homework. I entered it in the food data base and discovered that basically liquor strait up has colories but it's the add ons that really increase the problem. try finding a liquor on the rocks and or with club soda or tonic water and a squeeze of lime. (i went from loving jack danielsmixed with anything to paying more for a maker's mark on the rocks that lasted me all evening) Also pace yourself or self limit so you can be out socially with a drink in hand but not get buzzed enough to eat the bar food unrestrained. Currently I limit myself to 2 drinks when i'm out for an entire evening and I only allow a bite (or tablespoon portion of dip with a chip or piece of bread) of each snack I see in front of me (my friends let me get away with that because i say i'm putting down enough money for buying my own appitizer plate and having a bite of each of thiers- they use the money on the bill total- i get to enjoy the food while still limiting myself- not perfect but better then before)

Oh and sorry for the confusion this is from a previous weight loss plan. For me to reach my goals this time- i'm intending to do no alcohol at all since it is one of my MAJOR vices