NEW to MFP and started using a Fitbit. Question on Calories

Options
I have a couple of questions I am new and would like to lose about 65 lbs. I got a fitbit flex and ama aiming to lose 2 lbs a week which leaves me as a target of 1240 per day however my fitbit calculates extra calories i.e. 681 today Am I suppose to eat them or save them to lose my 2 pounds a week. Sorry for the silly question and thanks for the help

Replies

• Zipit57
    Zipit57 Posts: 9
    Options
    Under 1400 calories will mess with your metabolism. I would eat some of those workout calories. (Maybe 200 of them.) How do you like the Fitbit Flex? I am trying to decide which Fitbit to buy. Pedometers never read accurate for me. I can put it on my pocket or waistband and by noon it might say I have walked 10 steps. I wondered how accurate the one that clips on the bra would be. Do you know? Is the Flex pretty accurate?
  • JanTan75
    JanTan75 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have the flex and LOVE it I think it is fairly accurate but I don't think it calculates too well pushing a stroller , grocery cart or wheel chair( i work in a dependent handicapped program so I push a wheelchair daily. However that is fine with me it means that I do extra steps and I am ok with it I don't mind wearing it on my wrist I would worry about losing the other ones and everyone thinks it is just a "magnetic bracelet" :)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear, meaning that you may not lose 2 pounds every week. You should be eating your exercise/ activity calories back. That's how MFP is designed. The goal you are given already has a deficit built in and in the case of weight loss a bigger deficit isn't always better.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    2Ibs a week is generally too steep a weight loss unless you have quite a lot to lose.
    Many go for 1Ib a week, to allow for a steadier and healthier rate of loss.
    You eat back your exercise burned. The deficit is already built in. Mfp works with the intention that you do eat back exercise calories.
    Fitbit is fairly accurate for that, so I would certainly be eating at least 2/3 of those back, if not more.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    2Ibs a week is generally too steep a weight loss unless you have quite a lot to lose.
    Many go for 1Ib a week, to allow for a steadier and healthier rate of loss.
    You eat back your exercise burned. The deficit is already built in. Mfp works with the intention that you do eat back exercise calories.
    Fitbit is fairly accurate for that, so I would certainly be eating at least 2/3 of those back, if not more.

^^ This. FitBit is much more accurate the MFP. Eat based on your FitBit estimates, but less 500 calories per day for a healthy loss.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    In answer to the question above, I have a Fitbit One and think it is really accurate on my steps. Always have it clipped to my pocket & haven't lost it yet. It is more secure than my Fitbit Ultra was. Of course, I always think I should be burning more calories than it says, lol.
  • kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you are getting that high of an adjustment, consider that you have counted your base activity too low. I get about 300 cal adjustment if I go 12,000 steps.