Trouble with Water

Options
Drinking water is tough for me. I am a sweet tea/coke type of girl and getting out of that habit has been very tough for me. In the evening I like to get a kiddie cup at home and fill it with ice and sweet tea but I tend to go back for a second drink. I also love wine on the weekends. I started a water challenge for 21 days drinking only water throughout the day but wasn't so successful. Any tips, motivations. ideas, encouragement. It's all welcomed.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am with you there...I love diet soda. To make sure I drink my water everyday I make a rule (which I follow most of the time). after my coffee in the morning nothing but my water until I have at least 6 cups in. so that is a bottle of water in the morning, one at lunch and one in the afternoon. That leaves me 2 more cups for supper/workout. And if you stick with water you will find you want it more then the sweet stuff.

Good luck.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I have read on this site that tea and coffee can be counted as water providing they are decaf. My doctor confirmed that so enjoy your tea{decaf} I know I do after getting used to it.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Looking into Crystal Lite or Slim Sticks to flavor your water would be a great way for you to get in the habit of drinking more while satisfying a little sweet. Also, Vitamin water or Propel. Now, don't get carried away because you will add sugar and calories with some of these enhancers and flavored waters, but it will be oodles better than sweet tea or soda. I like to drinks San Peligrino or Perrier with some lime or grapefruit in it-you can purchase it that way. Not really sweet but has the carbonation. One soda a day = 12 lbs of fat a year. So try whatever you can to get away from it!
  • Smirfettewithmuscles
    Options
    Water consumption does not effect weight loss over time. Additionally, there is water in most of the foods and all of the drinks you consume, so if drinking water is tough for you, this is ok because you get water elsewhere.
    Either don't worry about it or enjoy other drinks when your thirsty and eat fruit and vegetables which tend to contain more water.
  • runboettcherrun
    runboettcherrun Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I find drinking out of a straw really helps. And if I have 4 cups plain, then I allow myself crystal light. Try getting a 8 cup water bottle , fill it and mark it with times so that by noon you drank half.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I love good coffee and could drink it all day, but I find it hard to drink plain water. I bought a 32 oz sport bottle (the BPA free kind sold everywhere in grocery and drug stores). I fill it with filtered water and lemon or lime slices and try to drink two of those a day. I've read that a lot of people add other fruit or even cucumber slices.
  • jmbcab7
    jmbcab7 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have found that if you drink filtered water, I can tolerate it more because it does not have the foul
    Tastes or smells. Hope this helps.

Have a great day.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Recent research on hydration indicates that water isn't all that much better at hydration than other fluids we tend to drink. That isn't to say that the sugar in sweet tea isn't problematic. It is. But straight iced tea is almost as good at hydration as straight water. What they used to say about the diuretic qualities of the tea wiping out the good effects turns out to be less true than we thought. So, drink straight iced tea.

"But," you say, "it's the sweetness I crave." And indeed, that's a problem. But over the course of a few weeks you can retrain yourself on how much sweetness you crave. I used to sugar everything from my morning coffee to a bowl of blueberries. But in the 3-ish months I've been watching what I eat, I've found I want the sugar less and less. Limiting my sugar intake has limited my sugar desire.

So, over the next week, drink your sweet tea but cut down the amount of sugar you use with each batch until you are using none. If you are buying tea by the gallon, the easiest way to make it at home is just to fill a jug full of water, throw in some teabags, and put it in the fridge. A few hours later, it's made itself into tea.

Don't replace the sugar with sugar substitute. That won't reduce your sweet cravings but just increase them. Recent research also suggests that, at least for some of us, artificial sweeteners mess with our appetites and increase sweet cravings.

Finally, as far as the "drinking water makes you lose weight" idea. There isn't much science behind it. You may find, however, that when you think you are craving food what you are really craving is hydration and a glass of water is the snack you really need. If your tap water tastes lousy, get a filter pitcher or install an under-sink filter. For the discarded swimming pool water our city supplies to our taps, the filter works wonders.
  • maureensimmons92
    Options
    I was also like this. Try putting some lemon in your water, or other natural flavors. I also always drink a bottle of water on the way to work, because im distracted driving it doesnt really feel like im drinking as much as I am. I then fill up that bottle two or four times during work, and drink one more bottle on the way home. Thats a quick way to get a minimum of eight glasses not including what you have for meals. The only problem with so much water is that i always have to go to the bathroom. It can be annoying when you arent used to having to use it as much but i look at it as extra exercise walking back and forth the the bathroom as well as a great way to flush out the posions from my body.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Get some decaf crystal light tea - although some people thing artificial sweeteners mess with your body, the science is pretty thin on the subject. I think you can get away with switching to that, then start watering it down more a little each day.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Try DaVinci Sugar Free Syrups. Tons of flavors, I use it to sweeten plain yogurt too.
  • sweetpeas317
    sweetpeas317 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Drinking water is tough for me. I am a sweet tea/coke type of girl and getting out of that habit has been very tough for me. In the evening I like to get a kiddie cup at home and fill it with ice and sweet tea but I tend to go back for a second drink. I also love wine on the weekends. I started a water challenge for 21 days drinking only water throughout the day but wasn't so successful. Any tips, motivations. ideas, encouragement. It's all welcomed.

I hate water yuck! I have been making fresh tea, rasberry or green and I brew 6 teabags and fill up a jug with ice and add a little bit of raw honey or raw sugar (just a little to give it a slight sweet taste) and every morning before work I fill a travel jug and drink it throughout the day and it has been working for me.

Try it its also caffeine free:)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Get some decaf crystal light tea - although some people thing artificial sweeteners mess with your body, the science is pretty thin on the subject. I think you can get away with switching to that, then start watering it down more a little each day.

The science is pretty thin on a lot of this stuff. I think it differs a lot from person to person. For me, I have recognized a distinct relationship between artificial sweetener consumption and the desire to eat anything that isn't nailed down. Some recent experiments confirm that a relationship exists. Whether an individual is susceptible to the effect can only be determined by that individual.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    As far as hydration goes it really doesn't matter what you eat or drink. As far as diet goes there's a lot of useless calories in sugary drinks that will definitely hinder your weight loss unless you are logging them and fitting it into your budget. There's no advantage to drinking a lot of water or anything else. If your urine is pale yellow then you are hydrated enough. Beyond that you're just stressing out your kidneys filtering all of that water and excessive water consumption can also deplete minerals your body needs.
  • lulavenus
    lulavenus Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    SPARKLING WATER! It's so light and easy to drink - I find that still water just sloshes about in my tummy. It also feels less bland. I get a 2litre bottle every day on the way to work (only 59p!) and drink most of it by the end of the day.
  • cphorton28
    cphorton28 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks that's a really good rule to go by. I appreciate the tip.
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    If you like sweet tea try making your own Arnold Palmer. Brew your tea and then sweeten it with crystal light. That always seems to satisfy the sweet tea craving for me with little to no extra calories.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    For every diet soda i drink i drink a litre of water.
  • cphorton28
    cphorton28 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    All the information is so helpful. Maybe I've been too stressed about my water consumption. With many of the changes that were suggested in reply I can pull back creatively and still enjoy the beverages I like. Thank you very much everyone.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    As far as hydration goes it really doesn't matter what you eat or drink. As far as diet goes there's a lot of useless calories in sugary drinks that will definitely hinder your weight loss unless you are logging them and fitting it into your budget. There's no advantage to drinking a lot of water or anything else. If your urine is pale yellow then you are hydrated enough. Beyond that you're just stressing out your kidneys filtering all of that water and excessive water consumption can also deplete minerals your body needs.
    This is the correct answer.