Cheated on my low carb diet and I feel like capital S*it?

Options

Replies

• shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Go easy on yourself here, everyone will fall off the wagon occasionally. The key is to get back up on the wagon and progress forward. You messed up, move on, do some extra exercise to help compensate (remember exercise burns up blood sugar too!) and move forward another day.

10g of crabs a day is very very low, even for a fairly strict keto diet, are you in the first introduction phases? If not I would seriously consider upping your potential carbs a bit.

Another thing to consider is this ~really~ going to be something you're going to be able to do long term or is this a quick fix? If it's a quick fix try adjusting to a lifestyle change dietary goal instead, maybe lower carb higher protein works for you, but maybe not 10g a day?

No matter what, don't let a single slip up get you down, everyone makes them and the only way to fail is to give up, so don't.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    why don't you pick a diet (like a reasonable caloric deficit) where you don't have to eliminate foods from your diet?

This is amazing - in theory. I ate at a reasonable deficit (TDEE-20%), 40/30/30 macros, lifted, and the scale didn't move for months. I could see changes, but wasn't losing any weight. For me, cutting carbs is pretty much the only way to get the scale to move. Call it insulin resistence, call it what you will, but that has been my recent experience. I'm doing much better now on a high fat, high protein, low carb diet.

Why would you care about the scale if you were seeing visible changes?

*sigh*

Because my body fat wasn't decreasing; I was measuring that as well. I was developing muscle - the changes I saw, but not decreasing body fat.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    why don't you pick a diet (like a reasonable caloric deficit) where you don't have to eliminate foods from your diet?

This is amazing - in theory. I ate at a reasonable deficit (TDEE-20%), 40/30/30 macros, lifted, and the scale didn't move for months. I could see changes, but wasn't losing any weight. For me, cutting carbs is pretty much the only way to get the scale to move. Call it insulin resistence, call it what you will, but that has been my recent experience. I'm doing much better now on a high fat, high protein, low carb diet.

*sigh*

Because my body fat wasn't decreasing; I was measuring that as well. I was developing muscle - the changes I saw, but not decreasing body fat.

If the scale was not moving, and you were increasing muscle mass, then your fat mass HAD TO BE DECREASING.
  • KatLifter
    Options

Water weight is an amazing thing- in theory.

I see what you did there - clever.
    I only said this is my experience. It works for me. It's great if you found something else that works for you.
    Calories in calories out is sound - but the way our bodies work (hormones) affect the calories out part. That's where shifting macros helps me.
  • KatLifter
    Options

*sigh*

If the scale was not moving, and you were increasing muscle mass, then your fat mass HAD TO BE DECREASING.

Sorry, should have been clearer - scale didn't move DOWN.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Well, I can see that no amount of reasoning wil change your mind, so best of luck to you on your low carb diet.
  • KatLifter
    Options
    Well, I can see that no amount of reasoning wil change your mind, so best of luck to you on your low carb diet.

Oh you. Sorry, I didn't realize your way was the only way. My bad. :flowerforyou:
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options

^This

If you enjoy carbs and want to eat them after you lose weight, how about eating a balanced healthy diet that is within your calories? Something you can do for life, not just to lose 40lbs by August. Something you can live with, forever.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Oh you. Sorry, I didn't realize your way was the only way. My bad. :flowerforyou:

When you cut the carbs down, did you make up the macros elsewhere?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

What he is trying to explain is that if the scale did not move as you note, but you gained LBM, then you have to have lost fat. It's math.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

What he is trying to explain is that if the scale did not move as you note, but you gained LBM, then you have to have lost fat. It's math.

This too
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options

^^ This
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Hope this post is a joke.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Why are you acting like your "diet" is a homework assignment? If you are feeling uncontrollable urges to "cheat," then clearly your diet doesn't work for you. Find something you can stick with permanently.

True.
    I did the 5-10% carbs for a good 90 days Id say. I did feel great. I was also able to eat from home.
    Since returning to work I havnt been able to maintain that Lifestyle.
    I have been back on Moderate Carbs and I have been sick for 2 weeks.
    My body isn't adjusting well on the carb intake, I have had severe headaches, stomach aches, nausea, vomiting and severe fatigue.
    Just feed your body normally at the 40, 30, 30 macro.
    I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    U ARE ALLOWED TO EAT CARBS
    THE REASON U CHEATE DIS BECAUSE U DEPRIVED YOUR SELF
    dont deprive yourself....................
    eat what you want ........stay under calories................exercise it off....................................
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    If this is a real post............it seems nearly impossible or unhealthy to lose 40 pounds in 2.5 months. And we all mess up. Pick up and keep moving. What is dwelling on it going to help? Might help if you made a more realistic goal as well. And 10 carbs a day? Crazy! I <3 carbs. :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    just give up. it's over
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. Whats wrong with carbs?
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Long term-low carb dieter here (and yes, it's a lifestyle change, not a weight loss change). Getting off track is a bummer. If your goal is ketosis, you may have knocked yourself out, depending on how long you have been in ketosis, or how fat adapted you are (assuming you're eating low carb, high fat). If you knock yourself out, all of your old cravings may come back. Or they may not with the right mind set.

One thing that helps me is a "just do it" mindset. When I get off track I have to first, be ready to get back on. Second, make my next meal count. You don't have to wait for next week, you don't have to wait for tomorrow. Make it your next meal.

Also, lean a little on your MFP friends. I suggest making some low carb additions to your friends list. Everyone takes a different path to health, and not all agree with a low carber's choices. Get a good support group of friends on your feed, and rely on them. That's what has helped me the most.

Best of luck to you. If you really want it, it's yours for the taking!