For those who lift and are losing inches.....

Options
For those of you who are lifting and losing inches (or weight), can I ask, do you mainly focus on proteins as a base of your diet (reducing carb intake)? I keep reading things about lifting and making sure you eat enough protein? Right now I lift for 30-45 minutes 3x a week and I do a lot of walking and maybe will run on the treadmill 2-3x a week for about 20minutes (I know-not a lot but that's all my schedule alots me). My goal is to lose weight and inches, and I'm trying to figure out how to do this while feeding my muscles what it needs. Any suggestions or info is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Bump

Similar situation here so I want to see the answers. I lift 4 times a week (60 to 90 mins with a trainer). Walk for an hour 4-5 times a week. After each lift session I am doing 10 to 20 mins on the arc trainer.
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    For those of you who are lifting and losing inches (or weight), can I ask, do you mainly focus on proteins as a base of your diet (reducing carb intake)? I keep reading things about lifting and making sure you eat enough protein? Right now I lift for 30-45 minutes 3x a week and I do a lot of walking and maybe will run on the treadmill 2-3x a week for about 20minutes (I know-not a lot but that's all my schedule alots me). My goal is to lose weight and inches, and I'm trying to figure out how to do this while feeding my muscles what it needs. Any suggestions or info is greatly appreciated.

I focus on calories and getting adequate protein and fat. Carbs fall where they may.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I'm with adini -- close to calorie goal, enough protein, enough fat, let the carbs take care of themselves.

But I have learned that if I go heavy on fats and carbs get low, I don't feel as well. So I try to fill up the rest of my calories with carbs to the extent possible.

Here's a nice summary about setting your macro goals

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    my protein goal is 30% of my caloric intake (about 150 grams per day). I let the rest fall where it may and I am losing inches weight training.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    This depends where you are. You need to take in at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass.

Exp... I'm 134lbs and my lean mass is about 111lbs. I take in MINIMUM 111grams of protein a day. I actually try to get about 200grams within my 1,800 calorie limit.

I eat about 45% protein, 35% carbs and 20% fat - or at least I try to!
  • talisamb
    talisamb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You should aim for one gram per pound of the goal weight you would like to acheive. I am 5"4" 130 pounds and I intake at least 120 grams each day, sometimes way more
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Carbs trigger an insulin response in the body, which promotes both muscle growth and fat storage. If you eat a lot of carbs throughout the day, you're promoting muscle growth (but not giving a stimulus for it so nothing happens) and fat storage (oh noes!).

Try to cut down on your carbs except for immediately following a workout. Even then, if you're lifting and running a deficit, you need lots of protein to keep your muscles. At 200 lbs, I'm regularly over 200g, and often up towards 300.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I am losing inches with heavy weights. However, I am seeing the scale go up, which is tough to watch, I admit. I keep my calorie intake around 1600 (for maintenance) and focus only on protein. I aim for at least 100 grams of protein each day. On the days I weight train, I have a protein shake after my workout.
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am losing inches with heavy weights. However, I am seeing the scale go up, which is tough to watch, I admit. I keep my calorie intake around 1600 (for maintenance) and focus only on protein. I aim for at least 100 grams of protein each day. On the days I weight train, I have a protein shake after my workout.

My wife had a similar issue. Buy a measuring tape and record your measurements for hips, waist, chest, and thigh every week. You'll stop being upset :-)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I focus on my calorie goal, primarily, then protein and fat. Carbs I have to watch because I have a health issue that demands I keep a lid on my carb intake. I'm losing inches steadily, though the scale bounces around a fair bit. The scale number does drop eventually--just not in any real regular or predictable way. I've had to learn to be ok with that.
  • edwardgaweda
    Options
    Figure out your lean body mass (LBM) and consume between .8 and 1g of protein per pound of LBM. If you can't figure it out exactly, estimate. There are plenty of sources online to help you.

Fat consumption should be .45g per pound of LBM.

The rest of your calories should be coming from carbs.

Contrary to what the media will try to make you believe, neither carbs nor fat are the devil. A calorie surplus is what will make you fat. A balanced diet, however, will help you become healthier and more energetic on your way to a more fit and stronger version of yourself.
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Man, how do yall get so much protein??? I struggle just to get 100g every day...
  • banana_milk
    Options
    I eat 120g of protein each day. On lifting days, I do higher carbs/lower fats. On rest days, it's lower carbs/higher fats.
  • edwardgaweda
    Options
    3oz of cooked chicken breast contains 26g of protein.

A single scoop protein shake with 8oz of milk contains 32g of protein.

Hitting your protein mark shouldn't be difficult, especially if its as low as 100g.
  • VanCityFit
    VanCityFit Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I eat 6 times a day and have 30 grams of protein at each meal and I have 100 calories of fats during each meal as well. It does feel like I am constantly eating but the results are phenomenal. I only have carbs three times a day.
  • edwardgaweda
    Options
    I eat 6 times a day and have 30 grams of protein at each meal and I have 100 calories of fats during each meal as well. It does feel like I am constantly eating but the results are phenomenal. I only have carbs three times a day.

No reason to do any of this if you don't want to. There is no scientific data supporting meal frequency for weight loss.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    My first priority is not going too far over my calorie goal. Then I focus on getting enough protein. After that, I really don't worry too much about carbs.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Man, how do yall get so much protein??? I struggle just to get 100g every day...

Greek yogurt is your friend =)

Also, nothing wrong with supplementing with protein powder.

I get over 120lb even when cutting, often without the use of protein powder and I am a vegetarian.

OP: I focus on my calories as well as ensure I hit my protein and fat targets (fats is more of a weekly average and protein is daily). The variable is carbs.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    And French kwark (quark?)! The plain versions are with 55 kcal and 9 g protein per 100 g a really good high protein option.