Weights at home... can it be done effectively?

Options
bubaluboo
bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
Being a gym member is out of the question for me just now as I have to squeeze in exercise when I can and the travel to the gym would eat the time that I do have. So is it possible to get the same results at home? I have done lots of free weight classes in the past so I think I'd be OK with posture and technique though perhaps a workout schedule/refresher DVD may help if there is such a thing out there. The next question is, if it can be done, what's the minimum kit that would be needed?

Finally (this is a genuine question and I'm not trying to be contentious) I've read a lot on here about exclusively weight training. Is weight training good for general health (heart, diabetes etc) as well as muscle building/fat reduction?

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    many people turn into monsters in home gyms... just gotta buy what you need to do what you want....

i guess a barbell and plates would by my minimum
  • hannahlclrk
    hannahlclrk Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    ive been wondering the same - for days when i cant make it to the gym! but struggle with a workout routine/programme - as i do mainly classes at the gym (bodypump for weights)

Great thread!!
  • bubaluboo
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. That's encouraging astronomicals :). hannahlclrk, I used to love doing bodypump...ideally, I'd like to be doing something like that at home but perhaps with a some more heavy reps too.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Bar, plates, bench. Adjustable rack of some sort for loading the bar, preferably with safety pins.
  • QueensGirl83
    QueensGirl83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have a full time job. I walk to and from work which is a total of 40 mins of walking but I want to incorporate some weight exercises and I want to do it from the comfort of my own home because A) like I said, I have a full time job, amongst other things, and not a lot of time and B) I do not want to pay for a gym membership. I live in NYC, I do not get paid nearly as much as I would like to be and rent is really expensive and so is everything else like electric, internet etc... all of the gyms near me are charging like $70 a month which I think is nuts.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I suggest you look at You Are Your Own Gym and start doing a nice bodyweight program while you look for weights and figure out what you're going to buy. There is no point in procrastinating until buying stuff. Bodyweight exercises are usually plenty of resistance, for a lot of people, when starting out. Also, now is a great time to start doing some research into lifting programs and proper form. Hell, you can practice squats with a broomstick across your back, its better than nothing and will help you prepare.
  • jackflak
    jackflak Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Try craigslist. All sorts of people out there selling weight equipment. Body pump, Les Mils Pump from beach body, or even stronglifts 5x5 are good programs. I believe a good mix of weight lifting and cardio are good for the body. Plus eating healthy and at a slight deficit will get them muscles building and the fat burning off.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    And to answer your 2nd question........yes, there's a growing body of reliable research that suggests weight lifting can offer many of the cardiovascular health benefits that steady state aerobic exercise does.

Your choice of exercises should be dictated by your personal objectives, schedule and preferences. Personally I think a well rounded fitness program would include both strength and cardio (whether it's biking, swimming, rowing, running is entirely your choice and, unless you plan on running in an endurance event, needn't be hours at a time)
  • avatrx
    avatrx Posts: 52
    Options
    I thinks the Sparks website is a great place to learn about weight workouts. Coach Nichole has a DVD out that gives you a daily workout that uses your body weight as weight.. Total Body workout. It's not expensive. I think it was less than $15. Gives you a daily workout with rest days. It may not be enough for someone who is already doing weights, but if not, there are lots of recommendations on that site.
  • sarajcurrie
    Options
    I'm having a go at this, http://wholelifestylenutrition.com/articles/the-full-workout-library-of-the-free-30-day-dumbbell-challenge/ but I am a complete beginner.

Sounds like you may want something more than this bit it might be a good place to start or there maybe more on their website thats more suitable.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on you. If you are self motivated, you probably don't need to go to a gym to get the same results. I haven't gone to a gym in about 3 years now. There are no 24 hour centers around here and their schedule is not conducive to mine.
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If cardiolus strength training interests you then you can do jillian micheals 30 day shred and lot of her other workouts...I do at home as I cannot go to gym at this point...I use 5 pounds weight...Other than that, body weight excercises are the best...squats, lunges planks etc.....Even I am considering buying barbell for the squats...
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    Being a gym member is out of the question for me just now as I have to squeeze in exercise when I can and the travel to the gym would eat the time that I do have. So is it possible to get the same results at home? I have done lots of free weight classes in the past so I think I'd be OK with posture and technique though perhaps a workout schedule/refresher DVD may help if there is such a thing out there. The next question is, if it can be done, what's the minimum kit that would be needed?

Finally (this is a genuine question and I'm not trying to be contentious) I've read a lot on here about exclusively weight training. Is weight training good for general health (heart, diabetes etc) as well as muscle building/fat reduction?
    Working out a home can offer great benefits. I do the P90X programs, mostly at home. Really, all you need are some dumbells or resistance bands - dumbells will get better results but the bands will work to start.
    As for weight training, it has great benefits for you. If that's all you like doing, then that's fine. However, for best fitness, a well roundeed program that trains the four fitness fundementals would be prefered:

Muscular Strength - resistance training heavy weigh/low reps
    Muscular Endurance - resistance training light weigh/high reps
    Cardiovascular - Running, biking, et.
    Flexability/mobility - Yoga, foam rolling, stretching routine, et.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Do not underestimate body weight exercises. There are variations to make them extremely hard.

nerdfitness.com
    globalbody weight training
    YAYOG
    shot of adreniline.net

If you do the strength part & try to get the cardio gains from it. I suggest a circuit type workout, with shorter rest periods. Otherwise you aren't going to build any cardio capacity.
  • bubaluboo
    Options
    Wow thank you all so much for your replies. I will read through them all in detail and take a look at the links this evening! It all looks so inspiring and I'm feeling very motivated.