Low carb diet - insomnia & mood swings?

Options
Hi all,

I just started a low carb diet last Friday. I have noticed that in addition to insomnia, I am having issues with mood swings. Issues at work are stressing me out more than normal. I wake up in the middle of the night and have crying fits and cannot go back to sleep.
Is this common when starting out? Will it go away?

Please tell me it will go away....

Thanks!

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    When I was trying low carb, my b**** attitude went away the minute I decided that I didn't need low carb to lose weight.

I now have moderate amounts of carbs and a normal attitude while losing fat at the same time.
  • canhardlyweight
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. What is your definition of a moderate amount? I am consuming about 70-100 grams of carbs per day. Is that good?
    I have yet to see a professional nutritionist, but it's on my list of things to do. :)

And what's worse is that my husband is eating the same as me, but he's sleeping comfortably right now, and is perfectly fine, emotionally.
  • JudieJudes
    JudieJudes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I just started a low carb diet last Friday. I have noticed that in addition to insomnia, I am having issues with mood swings. Issues at work are stressing me out more than normal. I wake up in the middle of the night and have crying fits and cannot go back to sleep.

Thanks!

If I dont get a carb load at my evening meal my sleep quality is compromised - wake regularly and I am generally restless and wake unrefreshed. Lack of restorative sleep can impact negatively on mood.

JJxx
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks!

how low ?

i ve just carbed up after a spell below 20g and have to admit i wish i didnt have to but have none of the symptoms you show and have noted i sleep much better when in keto. sunday was my carb up day and having consumed 400g carbs that day i m still not back in ketosis.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks!

Read this FAQ asap!Good luck!Hope you know what you're doing:noway:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq#wiki_welcome_to_the_.2Fr.2Fketo_faq
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people suffer a drop in mood, but what you are describing is something more extreme. I'd seriously reevaluate your goals and your plan and talk with dr. if these symptoms persist.
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    I did low carb and the headaches and dizziness were really bad and didn't go away . I returned to healthy eating and stopped with the fad plan. Hey presto, I'm losing weight and feel great!
  • stagingfirstplace
    stagingfirstplace Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    in my experience a low carb diet seems to hinder my performance in the gym and recover as well as making me tired/moody trying to keep up with an intense workout routine. for that reason i ditched the lower carbs for now and have slowly been raising them and im feeling quite good with increased recovery and energy, keep in mind that a higher carb diet usually includes lower fats (still enough).

my advice is to find out what works for you, for NOW. just because something works for someone else/worked for you in the past/SEEMS like it will work does not mean it will work for you now.

i think that a low carb diet should be kept to extreme ketosis (no carb - super high fat) or an all protein diet, which are extremes not many people could keep up and they take a long time for the body to adapt. honestly, weight loss with or without carbs is the same, but ive found fat loss/muscle retention best on a high carb diet (looking at now, past etc ive been into fitness/health/MFP for 2.5 years so my trial and error is through the roof!) but thats just ME :) do your own research and your own experiments - but avoid being too drastic, make small changes!

i will repeat SMALL CHANGES, SMALL CHANGES! as this is one mistake that has derailed me many a time :)

have a great day and good luck on your journey! sorry for the long winded post!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. What is your definition of a moderate amount? I am consuming about 70-100 grams of carbs per day. Is that good?
    I have yet to see a professional nutritionist, but it's on my list of things to do. :)

And what's worse is that my husband is eating the same as me, but he's sleeping comfortably right now, and is perfectly fine, emotionally.

I typically have 120-150 grams per day of carbs. I enjoy pasta and potatoes and have them nearly everyday at dinner or lunch.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks!
    Carbs are a key part in the process of creating melatonin and serotonin. One regulates sleep, the other regulates mood. That would explain both of your issues.
  • ruthiejewell
    ruthiejewell Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I sleep well on a very low carb way of eating which is not a fad but a healthy lifestyle choice .. a necessity for some with diabetes and other health issues. I feel much healthier in every aspect of my life. Mood is improved if anything. I believe in the early stages changes can be negative but they don't last. Many people have eaten this way for years and are experiencing great health and fitness levels. I've been doing it for over a year, with occassional breaks which I've always regretted so they're becoming less frequent. Eating more healthy fats and no sugar or grains feels so good! I hope you find a solution whatever it may be, good luck!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Issues at work aren't related to diet so that may not go away.

In general the switch to low carb can take up to two weeks to adjust to, but you're not aiming that low carb really.

Your symptoms are not typical of low carb eaters.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    It's a personal thing but some people don't sleep well on a lower carb plan. I added magnesium to my nightly routine and this helped, I was less than 30g carbs a day for a few months.

Now I'm not low carbing I still add magnesium actually. Works the same way as Epsom Bath Salts.

As far a mood swings go I'm a cranky bugger whatever I'm eating. ;)
  • banana_milk
    Options
    I've had issues sleeping when I was on a low-carb diet as well, but I've never gotten mood swings!
  • nettie1969
    nettie1969 Posts: 107
    Options
    I really don't think your symptoms are to do with your "low carb" diet. Techincally a low carb diet is less than 50g of net carbs (that is carbs less fibre content).
  • T_Marie323
    T_Marie323 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are "carb crashing" if you don't ween off carbs and go for it all of a sudden this will happen. It happened to me in the first week. It does get better though! I feel completely back to my normal, energetic self. I can't lift as much but I'm progressing back to what I used to lift with carbs. Do some online research and google carb crash. Here's a good read as well about types of carbs http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/betteru35.htm Good luck!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I did 30 grams or under for about a year-
    insomnia - check,
    anxiousness - check,
    I gave it all away and now I'm more energetic, the same weight, but feel so much better.
    I'm eating a whole food plant based diet and it agrees with me.
    Never say never!
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks!
    If it is a carb crash, which is possible, it will go away when the carb withdrawals ends. Try increasing your fats and make sure you are getting enough salt and water.

Insomnia will do all those things as well. Watch your caffeine intake. I am far more sensitive to caffeine eating low carb.

If it doesn't go away in a couple of days, it probably isn't due to the low carb diet.