The Biggest Loser

Options
I just caught a bit of The Biggest Loser.

I don't get or like this show at all.

So, let me get this straight, the person who loses the least, ie needs the most help gets sent home.
That's pretty irresponsible and sends out completely the wrong message.

Reality television sucks.

Replies

• BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    It's just a game show.
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but it's not "just a game show" when you're dealing with people's health showing impressionable people that you shouldn't bother trying to lose weight and be healthy unless you are the best at it.

There is so much wrong with this show it's unreal
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Na, I have to disagree. .
    It's not an educational programme. It's not a heartfelt documentary.
    It's a competitive weight loss contest with a cash prize - it's a game show.
    Is it a particularly tasteful piece of TV - no.
    But the sad truth is that enough people watch it to warrant it being renewed every year.
    When people enter a TV contest, with a competitive element for a cash prize they're enering a game show.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    There are many aspects of the show that are not fair representations of weight loss and adapting a healthy lifestyle. Yes it shows people in pain while exercising, having emotional crisis, getting yelled at, losing massive amounts of weight in 1 week. As "RESPONSIBLE" viewers, we should be questioning what we are watching on T.V. and not taking it all in as fact.

Regardless, this show provides viewers with awareness and for some, motivation. I really don't see how you can hate on a show that does that for the many unhealthy/obese individuals in the world.

And it sounds like you think it would make more sense for the ones who lose MORE weight goes home first?...Way to be an enabler.
  • ladybuggprincess99
    ladybuggprincess99 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    But the sad truth is that enough people watch it to warrant it being renewed every year.
    When people enter a TV contest, with a competitive element for a cash prize they're enering a game show.

Is it a game show? Yes.
    Should it be socially acceptable television? No.
  • NadineSabbagh
    NadineSabbagh Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    More often than not, the person who loses the least is the person who has done the least work that week. The idea is that the ones who give it their all to stay in the game are the ones who deserve to be there. Obviously you get the odd week where someone gives it their all, but their body just does not want to cooperate and they end up being below the yellow line. This isn't exactly fair, but at the end of the day it's a game and the contestants know what they're letting themselves in for. The person who loses the least isn't necessarily the person who needs the most help.

However, if you watch the finale you can see that even the contestants who spend a measly one week on the Biggest Loser go away with enough drive and determination to lose weight on the outside. Sometimes the people who don't put in the work on the show ARE the ones who need the most help, get voted out early, and every thinks that's it for them. But what they really needed was a shock to the system during the one week at the Biggest Loser, but the comfort and support of family and friends at home. A lot of people can really thrive when they're voted out.

Whilst I don't always agree with the politics of the game, I love the program and the change it makes to people's lives is so worth it, regardless of how they got there.

I've given up on the UK and US versions - I watch the Australian version now. It really is fantastic. The trainers and host very obviously care about the contestants, and the producers of the show realise when someone drastically needs help and usually have 'twists' in order to keep the bigger contestants from being eliminated. They have a lot more incentives to lose the weight - frequent monetary prizes, opportunities to win a place back on the show if you're eliminated etc... People like competition and rewards and if that's what it takes for people to lose the weight then so be it :)

I understand where you're coming from, but these people know exactly what to expect when applying for the Biggest Loser :)
  • haidos
    haidos Posts: 69
    Options
    As game shows go this one has a relatively positive message. It gives them an incentive to lose weight even if they aren't 'on the ranch' and has inspired plenty of americans.

I personally find it inspiring that bigger people are fit enough to partake in certain 'tasks' I find the weigh ins boring so i switch it off at that point, I'll find out who left i the next episode anyway.

It's reality entertainment and should be viewed as such.
  • ladybuggprincess99
    ladybuggprincess99 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

And it sounds like you think it would make more sense for the ones who lose MORE weight goes home first?...Way to be an enabler.

I'm fairly sure the OP didn't mean to imply that the person who loses the most goes home. I can't speak for the OP, but I would like to see everyone stay and duke it out. How fair is it to kick out a person who truly needs the help, motivation, and support? I haven't really watched the show much, so I may be wwaaayyyyy off.

I remember reading an article (some time ago) that said after they leave the ranch, they have no support from the show. THAT should be unacceptable.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it don't watch it simple really.

Personally I take it for what it is an entertainment program that I know has inspired a lot of people to lose weight and get healthy. Yes it can be unrealistic it can be bad taste but so can a lot of television. I think people having a go at this program are seriously missing the point. What's more worrying is that the health of society is in such a state it enables a program like this to be made.
  • dakotababy
    Options
    Bottom line - its a game.

It is supposed to be a challenge for contestants. If everyone just stayed on the ranch...it would be never ending! I think that is just a desperate reason to talk negatively of the show.
  • dakotababy
    Options
    If you don't like it don't watch it simple really.

Personally I take it for what it is an entertainment program that I know has inspired a lot of people to lose weight and get healthy. Yes it can be unrealistic it can be bad taste but so can a lot of television. I think people having a go at this program are seriously missing the point. What's more worrying is that the health of society is in such a state it enables a program like this to be made.

This.
  • KNarrainen
    Options
    Firstly, there is nothing I wrote that implies I wanted the person who loses the most to be sent home, that's a very strange conclusion to come to, when I'm commenting on the responsibility of the show.

And also, don't worry I won' watch it, but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on what i see as a very irresponsible programme.

If it was a show that was encouraging dog fights, should I just choose not to watch and let others carry on.
    Okay, that is a silly example, but why should I not comment on what I see as a bad programming?
  • haidos
    haidos Posts: 69
    Options
    You can and you have, just expect others to respond with their own opinions.

Bad and irresponsible programming can apply to lots of shows though, you've initiated a specific discussion on the biggest loser.

Obviously people are signing up to it because they want to take part if anything can change the programme it'll be if there is a lack of interesting contestants, or just a lack of contestants in general. I always think viewing figures are a misrepresentation of popularity anyway.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options

I agree and I might add that the show sets unreal expectations for people who watch it. They think that 20 years of overeatting and no exercise can be cured in a few weeks. I watched the first couple seasons but could not take it anymore.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I noticed that too that the ones working the hardest are sent home earlier.

The thing that I disagree with on this show, is the bad form they do while lifting weights and such,, i keep feeling that they might hurt their back and its painful to watch. They do this one lift where they use inertia and their back muscles (wrong use); and i just cringe.

I also dont like Jillian climbing on the contestants like she does.

But I do watch this crazy show, not sure why, but i watch it every year, it sucks me in somehow.. haha so i guess its some kind of entertainment for me.
  • KNarrainen
    Options
    I do expect others opinions, hence me starting the topic, but to tell me just not to watch and also to make assumptions that I want the one losing the most weight to leave are hardly constructive.
  • KNarrainen
    Options
    [/quote]

I agree and I might add that the show sets unreal expectations for people who watch it. They think that 20 years of overeatting and no exercise can be cured in a few weeks. I watched the first couple seasons but could not take it anymore.
    [/quote]

This is my point really, and why I think it is irresponsible programming, I fully accept the others see it as pure entertainment.
    To me, this kind of reality show is horrible, the likes of Britains Got Talent and the X Factor suffer the same to me.

We end up with kids in schools wanting to famous but not with any notion of what for, and that popular notion of the thinking you should get something just because "I want this more than anything"

Well I really want to be able to fly like Superman, that doesn't make it so.

Anyway, I've gone off topic a little, but it's these kind of programmes that breed social decline and quick fix mentality.
    Yeah, I've gone and gotten a little pompous there. Apologies if anyone is offended.
  • _Zardoz_
    Options
    I do expect others opinions, hence me starting the topic, but to tell me just not to watch and also to make assumptions that I want the one losing the most weight to leave are hardly constructive.
    Well you were saying you didn't like it. So suggesting you don't watch something you don't like is just common sense. If you want to take it as an affront that's your problem it was a suggestion. You post an opinion on an open forum just because you don't agree no need to throw your this out of your pram.
  • _Zardoz_
    Options
    , but it's these kind of programmes that breed social decline and quick fix mentality.
    So you're blaming a tv program for social decline! That's just so simplistic. Media and Art are reflections not the cause if the audience want there the programs wouldn't get made. I
  • KNarrainen
    Options
    Well you were saying you didn't like it. So suggesting you don't watch something you don't like is just common sense. If you want to take it as an affront that's your problem it was a suggestion. You post an opinion on an open forum just because you don't agree no need to throw your this out of your pram.

At what point have I thrown my toys out of the pram, as you put it?
    I have responded to points raised. I'm pretty sure that's what the forums are for.
    And I realise you could argue that saying "don't watch" is the same, as I stated before it doesn't address the point, just says, well you don't like it ignore it.