Just a vent...

Options
I need some serious motivation and a good vent. But I dont want to be lectured or any of that so ill skip the vent and just ask for some motivation. Ive been trying to lose the same 3 pounds for several weeks now. if i lose the 3 pounds ill hit a weight i havent seen in years. BUT. ive gained 3 pounds (meaning i then need to lose 6#). ive lost 2 pounds. ive gained 4 pounds. ive lost 4 pounds. and so on and so forth. but in the end still leaving me with these 3 pounds (just 3 pounds. its not like its the last 3 i need to lose) that i cant seem to shake. Yes i go to the gym. yes it could be water weight. it could be muscle. it could be this or that. but its frustrating. its discouraging. and quite frankly its pissing me off!

I dont measure inches because i have a hard time hitting the same spot every time. my measurements are ALWAYS off. which is equally as frustrating. some days clothes feel like they fit better then other days they dont. i think my head is screwing with me

i loved the gym and now i hate it. i forved myself to go today and i couldnt get into it. so please. what gets you through the day? what motivates you (quotes, thoughts, certain songs, ANYTHING?)

Replies

• C12254
    C12254 Posts: 198
    Options
    oops. should have changed the title of the post before publishing since i decided against actually venting...oh well
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    for today "I got life" by Nina Simone. No matter how bad your day is, that song will make you feel better.

as for long-term help with the 3 pounds: have you lost the rest of the weight using the same technique? If so, it might be worthwhile to shake things up a bit. If you're already trying different new things, then maybe give yourself more time before trying something new.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Change what you are doing and shake up your body...Your body may be settled into the routine.
  • C12254
    Options
    for today "I got life" by Nina Simone. No matter how bad your day is, that song will make you feel better.

as for long-term help with the 3 pounds: have you lost the rest of the weight using the same technique? If so, it might be worthwhile to shake things up a bit. If you're already trying different new things, then maybe give yourself more time before trying something new.
    I was doing well losing weight on my own. then i joined a gym (this is month two i believe) and its slowed down A LOT and the past several weeks have been gaining and losing the same 3-5 pounds. ive tried changing my gym routine and still not budging.
  • kurekam
    kurekam Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. It's so frustrating when it happens like that! What I've done when I have no motivation is try something completelly different - for both eating and excercising. The one time I was in this situation I did all prepackaged food (Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones....) just to keep my calories on track and for excercising, I went roller skating! It was both different and fun but most importantly, it let me shake things up a bit. Hope this helps and good luck!
  • katygirl66
    katygirl66 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Change what you are doing and shake up your body...Your body may be settled into the routine.

Not just by exercise, change the kinds of food you are eating. Also, drink more water!
  • lsgordon02143
    lsgordon02143 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you are now at a good weight for your body? You don't give your height/weight, but I would say that if you have already lost more than 50 lbs, and you've been fluctuating right around a weight you "haven't seen in years," that this could be the reason. But, good luck!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I haven't run into this issue yet, but I can sympathize with your frustration. I agree with the idea to shake up your routine. Your body gets adapted to what you are doing and will burn less and less calories doing the same activity once it gets used to it. Instead of using the treadmill for example, use an elliptical or Arc Trainer. Or better yet, do some jump rope intervals between weight sets as an example.

As for the bloated feeling you described, that sounds like a food issue, your body doesn't like something you're eating. You should never feel bloated after eating.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options

I was doing well losing weight on my own. then i joined a gym (this is month two i believe) and its slowed down A LOT and the past several weeks have been gaining and losing the same 3-5 pounds. ive tried changing my gym routine and still not budging.

hmm, you're still counting the calories - both the spent and the eaten ones? In the gym, do you focus on cardio or weights? because - and this can be highly personal, I'll just say how it is for me - cardio makes me absolutely ravenous. While weights replace your fat with muscle; so it's quite possible that you're slimmer but haven't lost any weight. I'd give it another month, if it still doesn't move then definitely change either your workout routine or something in the food pattern.

also, something I noticed with myself: when I hit the point in my weightloss where I'd been most of my adult life (well in the "overweight " category), it felt like my body didn't understand that I wanted to keep losing weight. As if it had a memory of "but THIS is your normal weight! stahp!" I don't know, maybe it was psychological as well; but anyways, hope it helps to know that I've been there and got past it eventually.
  • SquidandWhale
    Options
    I feel like my weight hasn't moved since the beginning of March. I lost 25 pounds from Jan - Feb, and I've been in a holding pattern since. I cut calories--scale didn't move. I added calories--scale didn't move. So now I've cut calories and have started to work out more (gardening + hikes/walks/jogs-with-mostly-walking). I haven't been great about my eating choices lately, I admit, but I'm regrouping, and refocusing, so I can hit my 45 lb. weightless goal by October.

Mostly I feel frustrated, but I feel like getting frustrated leads to giving up, and that can't happen.
  • C12254
    Options
    Is it possible that you are now at a good weight for your body? You don't give your height/weight, but I would say that if you have already lost more than 50 lbs, and you've been fluctuating right around a weight you "haven't seen in years," that this could be the reason. But, good luck!
    im 253 pounds. im 23 years old and 5ft 9in. not a good weight at all! i was 170ish before i got pregnant with my oldest child and *that* was even over weight. id be happy to be that 170 again though.
  • C12254
    Options

Mostly I feel frustrated, but I feel like getting frustrated leads to giving up, and that can't happen.

right you are! I SO want to give up right now. but im sick of giving up.
  • heatherlee33
    heatherlee33 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I totally feel you! I am struggling with my last 5. The grocery store is my own personal hell, passing isle after isle of delicious food that I USED to be able to eat, but can't even look at now without gaining weight! I've lost 28 pounds and continue to fight for my last 5, and why? Well let me list the reasons-
    - I have a whole new super cute and expensive wardrobe that would go to waste if I put my weight back on.
    - I love looking good. Love it. I know that might be vain but I spent a long time hating to look in the mirror and feeling terrible about myself. I am 34, I will never look any better then I do right now...So why would I waste that on food?
    - Now this is vain but, love the way other people look at me. People are nicer (Minus the random jealous girl) when you look good. I do a damn good job at my work, and sexist as it is this is reality, the way you look- matters.
    - I like the accomplishment that comes with every single triumph throughout the day...I turned down a doughnut, I declined on the m&m's, I didn't eat seconds, measured out my food and ate only that. These are victory's! Little ones that build a foundation and end up building a pyramid.

SO here is the thing, you've done this, you've got this. It just ain't happening exactly the way you want, but it will happen!
  • lsgordon02143
    lsgordon02143 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ok, that makes sense! I think 170 sounds like a reasonable goal for 5'9", particularly if you're big-boned. Good luck!!!
  • kurekam
    kurekam Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It might be time to check with your doctor if you haven't already to make sure there's no other reason you aren't progressing as you feel you should be.