Video Workouts - what are the best ones?

Options
JoyTH
JoyTH Posts: 14 Member
Hi, I've been a video/TV workout girl forever. Between running, walking and video workouts, that's how
I as a student, then later employee and a mother continue to get my workouts in. I can workout on my time
at home, no babysitter necessary.

I've done some great Weight Watchers videos, and Tae Bo, and have now done the 30 Day Shred.
Am looking for a good workout to strengthen my legs (for running) and abs (for core) with some
cardio. I'd like to find something I can do now. but will want to do later too! And I'd like
to just buy a few and have them handy instead of renting, and using Youtube for what is there.

I really like Jillian Michael's 30 day shred, burned the calories and strengthened my body! However, she has a ton
more. Are there any specific workout videos you love and would do again. (maybe with a little break in between - but would
definitely come back to and purchase for SURE!)

Thanks,
Joy

Replies

• FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend anything fromThe Firm series as they combine weights and cardio. JM 6 week 6 pack is good for abs or The Firm: Core Solutions
  • traviswise71
    Options
    I loved Power 90X. I bought it used from Amazon for $70. The Yoga video is 90 minutes so I usually cut it or substitute. Overall I really enjoyed it and it gave me great results.
  • AmberA219
    AmberA219 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian's yoga meltdown dvd. It really helped me improve my balance and flexibility. I am on level 3 of the 30 day shred right now and I just started the 6 week 6 pack video. I really like that one, it's very intense and will strengthen your core and develop your upper body strength too. I have Jillian's Ripped in 30 dvd but I haven't started it yet. I plan on starting it as soon as I finish the 30 day shred. I definitely recommend the yoga meltdown video though its great.
  • JoyTH
    JoyTH Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'll have to look into the Firm. not heard of before!:smile::happy:
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    Hi, I've been a video/TV workout girl forever. Between running, walking and video workouts, that's how
    I as a student, then later employee and a mother continue to get my workouts in. I can workout on my time
    at home, no babysitter necessary.

I've done some great Weight Watchers videos, and Tae Bo, and have now done the 30 Day Shred.
    Am looking for a good workout to strengthen my legs (for running) and abs (for core) with some
    cardio. I'd like to find something I can do now. but will want to do later too! And I'd like
    to just buy a few and have them handy instead of renting, and using Youtube for what is there.

I really like Jillian Michael's 30 day shred, burned the calories and strengthened my body! However, she has a ton
    more. Are there any specific workout videos you love and would do again. (maybe with a little break in between - but would
    definitely come back to and purchase for SURE!)

Thanks,
    Joy

Sounds like P90X2 would be good for you. Very core oriented and lots of plyo for leg development. You can message me if you would like more info. I've done three rounds of X2 and loved it.

Good luck!
    Joe
  • amberecochran
    amberecochran Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My personal favorites and what I'm currently doing is the TurboFire/Les Mills Pump hybrid. I love both but I think TurboFire would be good for you if your looking for cardio/abs/legs.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I do DDP Yoga. I don't recommend it around here half as often as I'd like (because people tend to want free videos), but since you're open to buying something, I'm throwing it out there. It's changed my life.

Good luck with whatever you choose. I'm sure there are lots of quality workouts floating around out there.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    ChaLEAN Extreme is a great program.. Has combination of strength & cardio. It's also a great workout to start with if you are new to lifting.
  • Dhellia
    Dhellia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Check out Chalene Johnson's videos! I'm a home workout person too. I started with her Turbo Jam and then moved on to Turbo Fire. Those sets of videos are mostly cardio but I've been looking into her Chalean Extreme which I heard is similar to 30DS but harder. I love Chalene's attitude and her workouts are fun and complicated enough to keep me interested for a long time.

P90X and Insanity are other good options too. I haven't done them myself but I know many people are very happy with them. It seems like Beachbody products are good in general, too bad their marketing is so corny and gimmicky!
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    What works for you is all good and fine. For me Beachbody programs like P90x, Insanity and Jillian Michaels - all of her's, and maybe new Focus T25 if it's not too dancey ;). On the other hand I'm totally lost with Turbofire choreography in a little confused with Brazillian Butt Lifting.
  • caitlynah12
    Options
    I like Jillian Michaels, Tone It Up, Ballet Beautiful and Blogilates. I want to try Brazilian Butt Lift as my co-workers do it and hate/love it.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    bump
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I do DDP Yoga. I don't recommend it around here half as often as I'd like (because people tend to want free videos), but since you're open to buying something, I'm throwing it out there. It's changed my life.

I love DDP yoga!!

I also love Turbo Fire. Chalene is so motivating!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Turbo Fire and Zumba. Both are great calorie burners and are really fun (which is important to me). Turbo Fire is a more intense and full body workout, especially if you invest in the weighted gloves and use weights instead of resistance bands for the strength workouts. But Zumba is absolutely the most fun I've ever had while getting all a sweaty. Both do wonderful things for your core.

Turbo Fire is the better bargain I think. It isn't cheap but there are more than 15 separate workouts included. But TF has a lot of plyometrics so if you have any problems with jumping or live in an apartment over someone else, keep that in mind.
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Turbo Fire. I am almost done (halfway through week 11 out of 12). I have P90X as well. I will say when I tried it the first time I didn't enjoy it and lasted maybe a week but my BF loves it! I plan to do it when I am through with Turbo fire. Maybe now that I am much more fit I will enjoy it more being better at it. Lol who knows. Also I am very interested in Chalene Xtreme and Insanity but I haven't done them so can't give advice.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'll have to look into the Firm. not heard of before!:smile::happy:

collagevideo.com & totalfitnessdvds.com are websites that sell hundreds of workout DVDs.

There are video clips & reviews. The reviews tell you what equipment is required, if the workout is high impact, if the choreography is complicated, what the fitness level is .... ton of info available.

Kelly Coffey Meyer is a favorite instructor of mine..... genuine and encouraging .... but not in (too) sweet kind of way.

Cathe (Friedrich) is fantastic ...... but most of her stuff is more advanced (than I am).

Netflix (by mail) has hundreds of workout DVDs ...... I had a subscription for several months ..... I recommend it for anyone.... there is just so much stuff out there.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I think you should try Jillian's Killer Abs. It is fun and awesome and you will love the way your tummy feels!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I LOVE jessica smith - she has loads of workouts free on youtube - why pay for them eh :-D
    I only happened upon hers a few weeks ago and most days I've already tried a different workout, thats how many she has! anything from HIIT to power walking to dance to pilates!! such a mixed bag - can't you tell I love her! lol
  • JenGranzow
    JenGranzow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've done JM 30DS and Ripped in 30; Butt Bible; Turbo Jam; Turbo Fire; ChaLEAN Extreme and Insanity and I like all of them for different reasons (I do hybrids now, with CLX 3 days/week for strength training, and then something else for cardio and/or endurance.

If you have Time Warner Cable, there are a ton of free exercise videos available On Demand. I'm sure other cable providers have something similar, too. You can try out different things there, for free, and decide if you like something well enough to buy the dvds. You won't find the Jillian or Beachbody stuff there, but there are a variety of options to choose from and it's nice to be able to switch things up or just check something out without having to buy the video.