Breathing while Running

Options
TdaniT
TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
I am really getting frustrated and discouraged due to my breathing during running. I have been running now since February. I have been running strictly outside since May. I know that is not a lot of time and I am still learning. However, by now I would have hoped that my breathing would be better. I know I could run so much further if I could just breath easier.

Yes I have been to the doctor. They think I have 'exercise induced asthma'. I have never had asthma nor have I had any issues breathing thus far in my life. (until running) I have an inhaler now that I use just when I am going to run. Inside on the treadmill I would have to say the inhaler has improved my breathing quite well. Outside I only notice a small change.

I know outside you deal with heat, humidity, pollen, etc. What else can I do? I am enjoying running and how accomplished I feel. However I am extremely discouraged...to the point of giving up running. :(

Any and all advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Replies

• TdaniT
    Options
    bump
  • fabiomuralha
    fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hey... first.. DON'T GIVE UP!

I have been running for a couple of years until now and the "breathing" always caught my attention with the question "How is the best method to breath while running?" ... and I found that at the start of my runnings the breath wasn't wrong , was just me than didn't have enough fitness to run in a hard pace.

Time passed and I get better and breathing doesn't bother me anymore, just did one little change and that worked (for me!). While running I look for inspire twice through the nose and expire twice through the mouth, I usually do that while running in a harder pace. At the beginning of the race I just breath through the nose... when the body needs more oxygen I start to use nose and mouth...
  • samgolod
    samgolod Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    There's a really good article in last month's Runners' World (UK) about breathing and running...breathing doesn't come naturally while you are running to lots of people and you kind of have to train yourself (and your diaphragm muscles) just like you have to train your legs! Practise breathing deeply and slowly from your belly when you are not running - pushing your belly OUTwhen you breath IN and bringing your belly IN when you breath OUT, which is the opposite of what your mum told you to do. Concentrate on the out breath, really puffing it out, and let the in breath just do it's own thing. If you can master it during the day you'll find it easier when you are running. There is also a good section on breathing in 'The Art of Running Faster' by Julian Goater which, if you are into running is well worth a read because it's a fab and inspiring book. Good luck
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Take yoga classes! Yoga has really helped my breathing with ALL the workouts I do. Yoga really teaches you how to breathe well.
  • aynhagenbarth
    aynhagenbarth Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Something that helps me is counting when I am breathing. 4 breaths in slowly, and 4 breaths out slowly. I don't know if this will help you but when I am having troubles that helps me a lot.
  • Mrsshellers
    Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others it's something that comes with time and practice - but DONT GIVE UP!!!! You'll get there :)
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I have been running about 3 years and about 3 weeks ago I myself started having issues. Right before my half marathon I went to the doctor and was tested and found to have mild asthma myself.
    I use a albuteral inhaler about 1 hour before I run and I also just started the advair diskus twice a day lowest dosage. Did you do the Methacholine challenge test if not I would encourage that it will give you a indication of how bad it is. I will agree after running for 3 years with no issues having them now is frustrating but I have just slowed down my pace a bit and just take it a bit easier. I pay attention to my body and do what I can.
  • TdaniT
    Options
    Thank you!! Makes me feel better that I can continue on and eventually see improvement!!