Good-Bye Coors Light (kinda long)

Options
2»

Replies

• BRITBRITNOLA
    BRITBRITNOLA Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    found some really useful information on WebMD.

Link is here http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/low-calorie-cocktails

The good stuff is below, looks like I'll be sticking to one or two mojitos tonight..:frown:

How Many Calories in Popular Cocktails?
    So just how many calories are in your favorite cocktail? These calorie counts for popular alcoholic drinks are approximate, based on popular recipes, but may vary depending on ingredients and portions.

Pina Colada (6 oz): 378 calories
    Mojito (8 oz): 214 calories
    Cosmopolitan (4 oz): 200 calories
    Chocolate martini: (2 oz each vodka, chocolate liqueur, cream, 1/2 oz creme de cacao, chocolate syrup): 438
    Margarita (8 oz): 280
    Green apple martini (1 oz each vodka, sour apple, apple juice): 148
    Martini (2.5 oz): 160
    Port wine (3 oz):128
    Bloody Mary (5 oz): 118
    Red wine (5 oz):120
    White wine (5 oz): 120
    Alcohol-free wine (5 oz): 20-30
    Beer (12 oz): 150-198
    Light beer (12 oz): 95-136
    Ultra-light beer (12 oz): 64-95
    Champagne (5oz): 106-120
    Coffee liqueur (3 ounces): 348
    Godiva chocolate liqueur (3 oz): 310
    Wine spritzer (5 oz): 100
    Eggnog with rum (8 ounces): 370
    Hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps (8 oz): 380
    Hot buttered rum (8 oz): 292
    Spiced cider with rum ( 8 oz):150
    Mulled wine (5 oz): 200
    Vodka and tonic (8 oz): 200
    Screwdriver (8 oz): 190
    Mimosa (4 oz): 75
    Gin and tonic (7 oz): 200
    Long Island iced tea (8 oz): 780
    White Russian (2 oz vodka, 1.5 oz coffee liqueur, 1.5 oz cream): 425
    Mai Tai (6 oz) (1.5 oz rum, 1/2 oz cream de along, 1/2 oz triple sec, sour mix, pineapple juice): 350
    Rum and Coke (8 oz): 185
    Rum and Diet Coke (8 oz): 100
    Mike's Hard Lemonade (11 oz): 98
  • christopher_stockdale
    Options
    I have many reasons for staying away from Coors Light which have nothing to do with dieting, lol. But, Everything in Moderation, I think. I tend towards very full ales and lagers, which are often higher in calories, but at the same time have more taste and usually more alcohol. As an example. Coors Light is 4.2% alcohol and 102 calories. One of my favorites is Bells Two Hearted Ale, 202 calories, but almost twice the alcohol content at 7%. Unfortunately, more taste and more alcohol always means more calories, but usually you drink a fuller beer slower, leading to fewer beers drunk and fewer calories, which is always a good thing.

www.realbeer.com has a good guide to calories/Alcohol for beers.
  • sharmonesq
    sharmonesq Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I loved this thread, although I was always a Budweiser (full flavor) girl. I also like margaritas, long island iced teas, etc. I had started drinking A LOT there for a while and I think that had a lot to do with my weight gain. I'm not always a hungry drunk (although when your friends stick stuff under your nose while drinking and playing cards its easy to loose track of what you eat), I really think mine had a lot to do with the alcohol itself. I am only drinking Bud Select 55 now, and only 1 or 2 days per week.
  • 2bthinsandy
    Options
    You all rock!! I was sort of ashamed/embarrassed to post about this issue and thought for sure I would get flamed by someone for liking beer so much. At any rate, I'm still going to try and stay dry for a while to deal with my self-percetion issues and to see if my weight loss is helped. I'm also going to stay off of artificial sweetners too to see if my "bad carb" cravings decrease some. I may have to warn my family not to mess with me for the next few days.........lol
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    You all rock!! I was sort of ashamed/embarrassed to post about this issue and thought for sure I would get flamed by someone for liking beer so much. At any rate, I'm still going to try and stay dry for a while to deal with my self-percetion issues and to see if my weight loss is helped. I'm also going to stay off of artificial sweetners too to see if my "bad carb" cravings decrease some. I may have to warn my family not to mess with me for the next few days.........lol

I just want to say how excited I am for you! From what you have posted, you are willing to be very realistic about the effect of of choosing beer (after beer, after beer....) over choosing your best self. And that willingness (instead of denial) will take you a very long way.

I can relate to all that you've said. I too, love beer. (Heineken Light please). I used to drink daily ... after work, with my friends, or at home. We cracked jokes about it all the time, justifying the habit.... but somewhere in there, I knew I wasn't treating myself well. In efforts to wean myself off, I gradually shifted to wine, and had a glass or two a night. Not great, but certainly better than the several beers in a sitting. That really helped - I've gotten to the point that my craving for a beer is actually.... rare. ( NEVER thought that day would come.) If I actually want it, I enjoy it. It's not mindless. And I'm a much cheaper date now... :wink:

Last words of wisdom - if nothing else works, a REALLY BAD hangover will probably do the trick. I've gotten to the place where even wine has lost its luster. I"m hoping it's temporary, but it's been weeks and each "tester" sip I take is still a turnoff.

:drinker: to your health. (That glass is full of WATER, btw).