Figs

Options
Does anyone eat figs? They look so cool and interesting to eat.

Where is the best place to buy them?

I see so many recipes which call for figs and they look pretty good but I have never cooked with them. I am thinking of trying something with figs. For those who do eat them, what is your favorite way to eat figs.

(I think I will like them, but my experience with figs is limited to Fig Newtons which I really enjoy.)

Replies

• mossyoakgirl77
    mossyoakgirl77 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like figs. Unfortunately, up here in the northwest, at least where I live we can't grow them and they rarely are seen in our stores...BUT I did recently find some and they are super delicious just as is. They are sweet and tender and you can eat the whole thing except for the stem. Perfect snack paired with a protein like a string cheese. I've never cooked with them, so not sure how that would go but again, delicious on their own.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I love figs...But I have an allergy to them! :(
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    they're really great in fresh salads in the summer! I can't think of a recipe off the top of my head, but like a normal savoury salad with rocket and walnuts with some fig thrown in. Ask google :D
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

I think I will go to Whole Foods and see if they carry figs.
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've found organic (Made in Nature brand) dried figs in a bag at Costco. They keep forever, as long as you store them in the fridge. The variety I have is the calimyrna and I find them delicious all by themselves. Here's an amazon link, in case you don't have Costco: http://www.amazon.com/Made-In-Nature-Calimyrna-40-Ounce/dp/B004LWJFFY
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I generally only have fig preserves and jam. With fresh figs, I know I wrapped them in prosciutto and grilled them once and they were fabulous.
  • jbastone
    jbastone Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love figs. Fresh they are fantastic stuffed with blue cheese, wrapped with prociutto and grilled! mmm goey, salty and sweet. They are great added to salad as another poster mentioned.

Dried figs are available year round are are good as well. try stuffing them with an almond or half a walnut and roasting them in the oven...like candy...watch out though they are addictive.

35250411.png
  • stepyogameup
    Options
    I've only had dried figs & fig preserves! Delicious. I eat dried figs by themselves or with almond butter. I've read that they're amazing stuffed with avocado!

I buy them at a Middle Eastern produce store, and I know they sell them at Whole Foods.
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone -- I knew they looked good.

I do have a Costco and a Whole Foods not to far from my house so I will look for both fresh and dried figs!!

Cannot wait to try them.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I had figs as a component of a sweet bruschetta, toast, goat cheese, sliced fig and honey drizzled on top...amazing!