Exercise doesn't have to kill you

Options
One thing I just learned -- exercise doesn't have to kill you. In the past when I've started exercise I went all out -- pushing myself to do more and harder each time. I got sore -- and thought I was doing things right. I hated the idea of going to exercise and didn't feel any better about it when I finished. And it lasted for a week or two... or maybe even a month. But then life got in the way, and it was easy to quit.

I've tried a different approach this year. I'm not going to "exercise" anymore. I am going to move more. I figure the more I move the better -- and it doesn't have to be a chore, be painful or "kill" me. I started with doing about 30 minutes of walking, three times a week. I squeezed it in when I had time, like when I was waiting for kids at sports and dance. When I felt like I had a burst of energy, I would run -- until I didn't want to run anymore -- and then I walked again. I found that I could easily add between 2,500-3,000 steps and considering how sedentary my lifestyle was -- that made a difference. Knowing that I don't have to run the whole thing made it imminently more doable. And interestingly, I find that I am actually walking/running longer distances now than I ever have before. And I look forward to it. I actually schedule it in -- not squeeze it in. And by not killing myself and feeling totally wrecked at the end, I have actually experienced that wonderful, elusive thing called the "runner's high" -- hey, and I'm usually getting it by mostly walking. My speed has increased and hills don't hurt as much anymore! And I walk for at least 30 minutes most - if not all days of the week.

And I find I want to move in other ways -- especially now that I have a FitBit Flex and really am traking my movement. My son wants to kick the soccer ball -- more movement. Score! My daughter wants to dance around the living room. Swing! Family after dinner stroll. Good times. Now, we've even planned a family vacation that includes white water rafting, hiking and kayaking.

So yes, I learned exercise doesn't have to kill you -- and if you find something that you like, it will even help you live a little more!

5631799.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You've stumbled upon one of the best kept secrets in the world of fitness............you have to find activities that you enjoy, unless you're a real masochist or extremely motivated people rarely stick with routines or programs that they don't enjoy.

My epiphany came a few years ago when I realized that my running and biking weren't a "workout", they're playtime........
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    This should be seen & read by 100's of people on here!

Instead, dozens of utterly useless threads will be created and debated to no end.

There are thousands of ways to exercise, why would anyone choose a way that they loathed?

Kudos to you for being sensible!
  • kristinksmith
    kristinksmith Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Rybo!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    While I will agree that exercise doesn't have to kill you and that you SHOULD continue doing physical activity you can do for life, if one is shooting for a specific physique look, there are exercising protocols that one does have to follow to achieve it. For example one can't increase better muscle tone in the triceps from just walking. However, just some stress on them will help to increase better muscle tone.
    But all in all it's more important to find a way to stay physically active.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    This should be seen & read by 100's of people on here!

Instead, dozens of utterly useless threads will be created and debated to no end.

There are thousands of ways to exercise, why would anyone choose a way that they loathed?

Kudos to you for being sensible!

^^^Totally agree with this. People in general are more likely to stick with something that they enjoy. Congrats on finding something you like and sticking to it. Keep up the great work.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I actually love exercising... with my ipod cranked up... it helps me destress. I love to run.... but I run at intervals (like you) 100% 3 min, 50% 1 min, rinse and repeat. Like another poster said... I'm not gonna get rid of those flabby underarms by walking/running... but its important that you enjoy it or you won't stick with it.. that is true.

Also, I only go to the gym 3-5x/week. Usually on the weekends I'm too busy and don't make it and that's OK. Some people work out 7x/week or several x/day. That's cool if that's what works for them... maybe they'll lose the weight faster... but I could never keep up with that.

To each his/her own :)
  • Cassea7
    Cassea7 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I completey agree with you and thankyou for posting it!!

I am moving more and I feel so much better.. ..I used to work so hard and got to dreading it.
    I suppose its difficult for someone who works at a desk job though.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Exactly - no need to run when you hate it (I don't get when people say they enjoy it) or pay a ton of money for a gym membership, when dancing counts as exercise!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    So yes, I learned exercise doesn't have to kill you -- and if you find something that you like, it will even help you live a little more!

That will never catch on.

It makes far too much sense...
  • anazombee
    anazombee Posts: 31
    Options
    Great advice and I totally agree! Just move more, that is the key and enjoy exercise. Do something active that you love even if it is walking, dancing, riding a bike or swimming! Just get that body in motion!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Ive been going regularly to the gym and doing an elliptical and some weights for a while now. I do enjoy it,or I wouldn't have stuck with it this long. However I recently started walking at the park a couple of times a week instead...and I am surprised how much I am enjoying it! Ive even made plans to do a 5k walk in a few months. Its hard right now since it is so hot even early in the morning...but I am sticking with this because its so satisfying!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I agree. This is how I started. Once I got myself in good enough shape, the I started to really push myself. In the end though, all that is necessary for body recomposition is strength training and a good diet. The running I do for cardiovascular health and fun.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The most fun I have while exercising is when I go on trails and run when I feel like running, walk when feel like walking, and stopping to take a picture when I see something beautiful.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    No! We must PAY!

Deprivation and physical punishment. It's the only way.
  • elleryjones
    elleryjones Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Glad you're figuring out what works for you. :)

I was pacing in the den the other night trying to reach my step goal for the day. My 6 year old started throwing his stuffed gorilla at me as I walked by him each time, and it turned into a game. A combination sprint/dodgeball dodge the gorilla kind of a thing. I'm thinking of turning it into the newest exercise sensation, kind of like "prancercise." It's fun, got my heart rate up... I'm totally going to trademark it.

:wink:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Exercise should be fun and people should do the things they enjoy. I can definitely get behind that.

That said, if you are specifically training for something or trying to achieve a certain look, you will need to do the exercises and regimines that will help you get there. I'm going to sign up for a half marathon. I know that the training will be tough. There will be days that I want to quit, days that it's hard to run. I won't enjoy it 100% of the time, but I know that I will be overjoyed when I cross that finish line. So, I'll trade uncomfortable now for awesome later. But, I'm at the point that the pursuit of a goal is more important to me than the temporary pain of training.
  • JDySart777
    JDySart777 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    No! We must PAY!

Deprivation and physical punishment. It's the only way.

Preach! LOL
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Found my good weather passion, cycling, last fall. Don't tell hubby, but when I say I'm going for a ride, it's about fun, new routes AND the HUGE calorie burn, and playtime, and pushing myself for a new great pace. Now I just have to find something in winter that doesn't suck my spirit right out of me...
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    What exactly is runner's high? I used to run in high school with one of my friends from the cross country team. All I ever did was hurl? I was running hard too, to keep up with her and she was one of the best one's on that team. Is runner's high something we can get from other activities too? Like how long do you have to walk to get it?
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump!