Binge Eating...

Options
I really need support and help today. I weighed myself this morning and now I'm extremely depressed. I can't stop crying. I'm 15lbs heavier than my normal weight, which I had been for years even though I ate whatever I wanted. I'm 6 lbs heavier than I was in December. January-March, I had lost 7lbs and then when my birthday came around end of March I let myself have a week of eating whatever I wanted. Now I can't stop binging. It happens atleast once a week. More often it happen twice a week. Just when I think I'm back on track and feeling really good, I screw up again. I feel really ****ty and I need help, I don't know how to stop. It doesn't matter if I think about how the binge will affect me, any motivation tactics don't work. Its like I've lost all control of my actions. The binges aren't even like chocolate, chips or anything like that. Ill grab toast, granola bars, cereal, cheese & crackers. Generally just carb things. I also always sneak the food and make sure no one else sees that I'm doing it.

I'm really just looking for someone who has overcome a similar problem and can tell me how to overcome it. I can't let this continue. I don't want food to control me.

For reference I was 135lbs and 5'4" for probably a good 5 years before I started my weight loss journey back in November. I now weigh nearly 150lbs. I try to eat 1600 cals which is 20% below my TDEE (and what I was eating when I lost the 7lbs). I can easily eat 2000-3000 cals in an hour during a binge.

Replies

• KaelinK335
    KaelinK335 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The only advice I can give you is to try and get out of the house and away from food when you feel like binging. I've found that the busier I am, the less likely I am to binge. I guess just try to get your mind off of food and on something else like cleaning or exercising. Hope this helps!
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Try loading up on water too. Fill your belly up with water. I've also heard brushing your teeth helps because it feels clean and anything you eat afterwards doesn't taste so good. Try filling your fridge with things you can binge on that aren't bad for you. I would say binging on fruits is better than cake, things like that. By the way, I can't even mention how much I weigh. I can only say that 150 is my goal, so for you to be overweight at 150 seems crazy to me and I'm only 5'7. In fact, 150 may be too slim for my body.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I have a go to meal that I eat first if I feel like eating anything and everything. Oats with protein powder. It is very high volume for the calories and fills me up a lot. I still may eat some more after but in general it is difficult to so I won't.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Get some professional help, love. It's very hard to overcome something like this on your own and before you know it you could be hurtling down a much different path of shame and destruction. You need solid tools that pertain to your situation, which more than likely has nothing to do with food or your weight.

Yes, of course you can overcome something like this. Many of us battle everyday. But you need the right tools in order to do the work.

:heart:
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    First, the question I'd ask is... how many calories are you eating a day? It almost sounds like you might be getting too few and your body is fighting you pretty hard to get more. Second question is, how much are you binging? Mind opening your food diary/exercises so people can have a look? Someone might have some ideas there... are you getting your rough macro nutrient quantities for your diet daily?

Second, stop it. Don't panic. Rather than panicking, log it all. You binged. Everyone on the face of the earth who is watching what they eat will do it eventually and it's not a crisis, it's something to figure out, rectify and even out. Lets say you binged yesterday for 1000 calories. This isn't a crisis, work out an extra 200 calories a day for a week and you're STILL going to come out 400 lower for the week than you normally would have without binging! Add more exercise to compensate if you have an occasional binge.

Third, if you get the feeling its coming. Drink a full glass of water. This won't stop it but it WILL cause you to eat less because you'll feel full sooner... does wonders for mitigating the damage of a potential binge. Hell many people have difficulty telling the difference between thirst and hunger.

Lastly, is your period starting soon? I know that is extremely difficult for my SO due to sugar and red meat cravings... and a lot of it may just be water weight and not actual weight. Don't judge by scale numbers too much they can fluxuate +/-5-10 lbs on a daily basis depending on your size.

Just be calm, getting upset, guilty and discouraged will not help you in the long run, this like any other hurdle is something you CAN and WILL overcome.
  • spederse86
    spederse86 Posts: 13
    Options
    Well, I'm about similar to you. I am 5'8", and only about 15 pounds over my target range. (130-140 is what I have been all my life, eating whatever I want. Starting at the beginning of this year I suddenly shot up to 158, and have been working to get back down ever since.)

I don't know about you, but I live a sedentary life, and it's hard to get moving sometimes. I need to work for my extra calories everyday so I have enough to eat. XD But, binge eating seems to have always stemmed from depression or stress for me. If you haven't solved those issues, (and it probably has nothing to do with your weight), then you're not going to be able to stop because it's what makes you happy.

So... if that seems to be the case for you too, and you can't properly deal with your issues, find something else that makes you happy. And keeps you busy, like the others said. :)
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Get some professional help, love. It's very hard to overcome something like this on your own and before you know it you could be hurtling down a much different path of shame and destruction. You need solid tools that pertain to your situation, which more than likely has nothing to do with food or your weight.

Yes, of course you can overcome something like this. Many of us battle everyday. But you need the right tools in order to do the work.

:heart:

Yep, there is nothing wrong with having help through this. While people on here can be very supportive, I suggest speaking to people IRL about this issue. It helped me quite a bit.

Also, I've found that when adding friends on here, find ones that have either successfully dealt with their binge eating, have always had a healthy relationship with food, or who are actively making progress on their eating habits. Surrounding yourself with people who have established habits that you wish to have yourself is much better than being surrounded by a group of people who "feel your pain" but aren't serious about dealing with it. We all get to the point where we want to something to be different, but sometimes even though people are unhappy with their eating habits, they just aren't ready to change yet. I've been in those shoes before myself. I also don't recommend adding the "OMG, I can't stop eating", "UGH, I am over again, I have no self control," and "The okay, I've got this, not eating x, y, z and working out for 4 hours tomorrow" folks. Extreme bsessive environments will only bring about more obsession.

While I don't think anyone should be berated for making mistakes with their eating, it doesn't do much good to have a group of people tell you, "Oh, its okay, try again tomorrow." I prefer to have people who understand my issues but can provide constructive criticism and at times some tough love which is why I have a certain criteria for people that I add.
  • shella_bella
    shella_bella Posts: 180
    Options
    I'm happier than I've ever been in my life. ..maybe I'm bored, or lonely - as I'm living abroad and don't really have any friends. Often I spend my entire weekends laying in bed watching tv. I have a history of anxiety and depression and was seeing someone before I moved 9 months ago. But honestly I don't feel anxious or depressed anymore. I'm really happy in general... I don't know. I have no idea what starts it...
  • deepbreaths_strongmoves
    Options
    I feel exceptionally confused by this topic too. I read this article recently and found it helpful. Maybe you will too..
    http://ohsheglows.com/2010/01/20/binge-eating-why-you-shouldnt-feel-ashamed/
  • Karinlin25
    Karinlin25 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm happier than I've ever been in my life. ..maybe I'm bored, or lonely - as I'm living abroad and don't really have any friends. Often I spend my entire weekends laying in bed watching tv. I have a history of anxiety and depression and was seeing someone before I moved 9 months ago. But honestly I don't feel anxious or depressed anymore. I'm really happy in general... I don't know. I have no idea what starts it...

I know exactly how you feel! Trying to find motivation out of this myself. There are time when all I can think about is eating whatever it is that caught my train of thought. It's comforting to know we're not alone!
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Add me girl. I used to be the queen of binging.
  • heatherstone5
    heatherstone5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to binge as well. I talked to a nutrionist, and have made some changes that seem to be helping.

1) Record EVERYTHING you put in your mouth. FP is great for this.
    2) Eat something within 30 minutes of waking up to get your metabolism going. I am usually not hungry when I first wakeup, but have noticed that lately I'm ready to eat sooner.
    3) Eat something every 3 hours when you are awake. Keeps those major sugar dips in check. Doesn't have to be a meal. I usually choose fruit, nuts, yogurt, popcorn...whatever.
    4) Ask for support from friends and family. Encouragement and gentle reminders are appreciated.

In two weeks I have lost almost 7 pounds and I haven't binged once. I have more energy, and feel motivated to make positive long-term changes to my eating habits.

Good luck!