Should I get a HRM?

Options
So... I am considering getting a HRM... but I am not sure it is worth the investment ($80 - $100) seems like a crazy amount to spend on such a thing... BUT... if it will help me get in shape and really understand how many calories I burn it might be worth it... I never eat all my exercise calories simply b/c I don't trust the elliptical or the estimated website numbers... so what are your thoughts?

If you think I should get one... what brand / type etc... I don't need anything too fancy... I want to know my heart rate, calories burned and time spent working out... I really just want something that it no fuss... and accurate... HELP :)

Thanks for all your input in advance!!! K

Replies

• SFinn
    SFinn Posts: 43
    Options
    I think that it is worth the investment, but remember, HRM's estimate calories burned just like elliptical machines and this website. It is slightly more tailored to you but it is still an investment.

I had the Timex Ironman one and returned it because I felt it severely overestimated the amount of calories that I burned at the gym.

I just purchased a Polar FT4 and feel that this one gives a much more accurate reading. I would highly recommend this one.

Hope that helps some!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Just for the accuracy of calories and to be able to monitor my HR in spin class its worth it, I love my Polar Ft7
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM! I wish I had more money to get a Polar as they seem to have the best reviews, but I got a Reebok Precision on sale and am very satisfied with that one!
  • lessjess1
    lessjess1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar F6!
  • LHuffman24
    LHuffman24 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY worth it! I love my Polar FT7 as well.

The treadmill is way off for me, usually about 100 calories over for a 20 minute run.
  • luvstolose
    Options
    My YMCA has them you can check out to use while you exercise I love them it is the only way you can put your weight and age into the treadmills to get a more accurate calorie count. I was thinking about buying one of my own though so I didn't always have to ask for one the brand they have is Polar and they work great.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    So... I am considering getting a HRM... but I am not sure it is worth the investment ($80 - $100) seems like a crazy amount to spend on such a thing... BUT... if it will help me get in shape and really understand how many calories I burn it might be worth it... I never eat all my exercise calories simply b/c I don't trust the elliptical or the estimated website numbers... so what are your thoughts?

If you think I should get one... what brand / type etc... I don't need anything too fancy... I want to know my heart rate, calories burned and time spent working out... I really just want something that it no fuss... and accurate... HELP :)

Thanks for all your input in advance!!! K

If you have a Sports Authority close by, sign up for their emails and sometimes they send out a $25 off $100 coupon. Every bit helps!
  • Freckles3
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    absolutely! as a personal trainer and fitness instructor, i recommend using a heart rate monitor for every workout. not only to track your calories burned but it helps you regulate your goals and workouts better. you need to know where your max heart rate is and how you feel when you are there. it helps motivate you on your bad (lazy) days to hit a goal in your zone or to push yourself a little harder to stay in fat burning zone. it also helps to keep you informed during interval training so you know when to add more push or back off to lower the heart rate. i use it during weight training to see where i am during heavy training days and to regulate how much time in between sets. i record my heart rate training just as the exercise i do and the foods i eat. a wonderful training tool! Polar F6 is the one i have now. the F4 was a great one too!
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    I love my PolarF4 but would recommend getting a PolarF6 or better. The F4 doesn't calculate the distance I walk.run/jog. F6 and above I believe will do that.