A.M.A. Recognizes Obesity as a Disease really?!?!

Options

Replies

• TropicalBiologist
    Options
    YES. OBESITY IS A DISEASE. AND THERE IS NO CURE CURRENTLY. Only blaming the victims.

Only SALESMEN think otherwise.

ALL GENUINE SCIENTISTS KNOW AND RECOGNIZE THIS.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I think of it as a symptom of a disease, rather than a disease in and of itself. Examples of the causative disease might be eating disorders, thyroid disease, etc. Nutritional ignorance, corporate pressure to buy highly processed and addictive "food" and cultural factors play a big role, as well.

Regardless of the cause, abdominal fat is very bioactive, releasing hormones and inflammatory compounds, which lead to greatly increased risk of cancer, heart disease, insulin resistance, etc.

I don't care how if a person sees themselves as "Big and beautiful", "Reubenesque", "Teddy Bear", or however you want to pretty it up. Obesity is a marker for poor health. My husband's ex-wife just died last year suddenly; she was well over 400 lbs in her mid-40's. Her live-in companion, who must be about 300 lbs and the same age, suffers from severe asthma and sleep apnea, and just was diagnosed with uterine cancer (the number one risk for this is obesity). Fat kills, no matter how you want to pretty it up.
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Obesity is the physical symptom of the disease of apathy.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I quit listening to anything the AMA had to say, years ago.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    this is all about Big Pharma being able to sell more pills.
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    A disease process is something that goes wrong with the physical parts of a person. A bad thyroid, for example, is a disease process. A poor lifestyle choice is not a disease.
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't think it should be considered a disease.. We all got ourselves here one way or another, we are capable of getting ourselves out of this problem as well. if AMA keeps considering everything a disease then we are all going to be diseased in one way or another.
    Its time to get it together and call the real diseases a "Disease", self made problems should not be considered a disease IMHO.