Cold all the time?

Options
I used to never be cold. I always appreciated the chill (and I still do) but now it seems like I'm cold all the time unless I'm exercising or have just exercised.

My mother has lost a lot of weight and said she experienced the same thing (and that it went away after her weight settled) but I'm curious to see if anyone else has experienced being cold all the time?

I mean, I used to be comfortable in t-shirts at 68 degrees, but now I'm in long sleeves all day long, and my hands are very, very cold. This topic was spurred by my considering wearing gloves to work. D:

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Me! I'm in this club. So is my mom who has also lost a great deal of weight. From what I understand it's pretty common :)
  • geniebean9
    geniebean9 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid levels checked recently? Being cold all the time could be a symptom of your levels being off. I have hypothyroidism (under-active) and am always cold.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Less fat to keep you warm..... !!!

Get a blood test done, check your thyroids.... Could be lacking iron in your diet? Anemic??

Blood test will show everything
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yes, had same problem, and still do sometimes. Having lost several layers of insulation I notice the cold a lot more now. Although, it is either better now....or warm weather has taken over!
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Get a blood test done, check your thyroids.... Could be lacking iron in your diet? Anemic??

Yep.... this...
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm always cold!!!!
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm there. Though, my weight has about the same for the last few months and I still feel this way.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I experience this. Get about 100-200 calories a day more into you, and it goes away.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options

I don't think I've ever had my thyroids checked, but I have been anemic, so I'll have that checked for my yearly physical in July. Thank you. (:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I've been freezing my whole life.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I am too, I have only lost about 30 pounds, 64 still to go-what will it be like at my goal weight??? Just had a conversation with a co-worker, he walked up talking about how hot it is and I'm getting ready to put on my sweater. This is ALL the time! Thermostat is set on 73, btw...I would have it on 82 if I could!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I was like that until I upped my calories. I was sleeping with 2 comforters and a throw blanket. Yes, I lost some of my insulation, but I've lost even more since and I'm not cold now.
  • Mrsshellers
    Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thyroid or anaemia would be my guess but only a blood test will tell.

I was suffering with coldness and my outcome was I am B12 deficient since taking supplements I haven't had any further problems.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I've always been at a normal weight, and always been cold. I'm freezing all of the time, sitting in my office now with a sweater and a jacket on. And now on meds that make me even more cold. :sad:
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    This is pretty common for people who are on a serious calorie deficit. A major component of the basal metabolic rate (BMR) is keeping the body warm. Lots of people maintain weight without counting calories because if they eat a little more than they need, the body warms up and burns the excess calories; if they eat a little less, they feel cold.

When you're on a serious calorie deficit--500 calories a day or more--your body is trying to conserve energy; one way it does that is by turning down the furnace a bit. The technical term is "adaptive thermogenesis." One clinical study found that it continues for a year after switching to maintenance: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23535105
  • Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    This is pretty common for people who are on a serious calorie deficit. A major component of the basal metabolic rate (BMR) is keeping the body warm. Lots of people maintain weight without counting calories because if they eat a little more than they need, the body warms up and burns the excess calories; if they eat a little less, they feel cold.

When you're on a serious calorie deficit--500 calories a day or more--your body is trying to conserve energy; one way it does that is by turning down the furnace a bit. The technical term is "adaptive thermogenesis." One clinical study found that it continues for a year after switching to maintenance: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23535105
    [/quote

Its not about less fat on your body. This is the best answer here.
  • AutumnRed84
    AutumnRed84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options

This makes good sense, especially when you think of my mother's situation. For her, it went away after her weight settled.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options

^^^^This. When I cut calories too deep, I feel it because I get chills. It happened early on for me.
  • cdgirl
    cdgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    That is so interesting! I'm not cold ALL the time,but I do get cold very easily.Like last night when I walked w/my girls for example-it was about 70 degrees outside and the sun was shining.My girls were in shorts and tank tops and I had to wear a sweatshirt and jeans!It makes sense what the quote is saying.it sure is nice to know I'm not just plain weird LOL!