I think I want to start running...

Options
liya368
liya368 Posts: 122 Member
I have not exercised in quite some time. I used to enjoy walking on the treadmill. I recently purchaced one for my home. A few summers ago I woke up every morning and took a walk outside. I am thinking of taking up running every morning instead but on the treadmill. I do not know how to even begin.

I would think i would need to start walking and slowly work my way up to a jog and then a run. Is there a process or do I just go by how my body feels/

Thanks!

Replies

• HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    dont just THINK about it then...DO IT one foot goes in front of the other...

using the C25K program/app is a good start... and dont wait til "next week" or "next month" start TODAY
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Yep, C25K. I did that late winter to spring and just kept going. Now I run several miles a week. Get good shoes, but don't wait to start. Just Google C25K and you will find a bunch of instructions and/or apps.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Do get good shoes! Go to a running shop and get fitted, just for the first time. Finding the right brand/fit for your foot makes a HUGE difference! After you know the right brand for you, you can then get them cheaper off the internet and on sales. I found Saucony Cortanas and love them! I just keep buying new versions of this same shoe.

Download a good music playlist. All the music on my iPod is specifically chosen for exercising, upbeat to keep me moving.

I, personally, HATE running on the treadmill. I can barely do it. But if I go outside, I can run and run and run. Eight miles on Saturday. But the week before, on the treadmill, I couldn't run three miles.

You can totally do this, Lisa! Start small, work on the Couch to 5K (C25K) program, and trust in yourself. One of my other FL peeps is doing a C25K challenge, OldCrow125. Maybe you could add him to your FL for some more motivation!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Another vote for c25k! It made a runner out of me! :bigsmile: I used the c25kFREE app by Zen Labs - worked great.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Another for C25k program. It works and will turn you into a runner. I'm currently doing a 10K version.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    C25k...but please don't do this on a treadmill...

unless there are rampaging forest fires, biblical type rain storms,earthquakes and tornadoes..then you might be forgiven for running on a deadmill.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Do get good shoes! Go to a running shop and get fitted, just for the first time. Finding the right brand/fit for your foot makes a HUGE difference! After you know the right brand for you, you can then get them cheaper off the internet and on sales. I found Saucony Cortanas and love them! I just keep buying new versions of this same shoe.

Download a good music playlist. All the music on my iPod is specifically chosen for exercising, upbeat to keep me moving.

I, personally, HATE running on the treadmill. I can barely do it. But if I go outside, I can run and run and run. Eight miles on Saturday. But the week before, on the treadmill, I couldn't run three miles.

You can totally do this, Lisa! Start small, work on the Couch to 5K (C25K) program, and trust in yourself. One of my other FL peeps is doing a C25K challenge, OldCrow125. Maybe you could add him to your FL for some more motivation!
    Yes to all of this! I also can't do the treadmill. Something about it makes me stop after about 1 or 2 minutes, but other people I know can go forever so don't let that discourage you.

Definitely go with c25k if you're new. It's amazing! When I started, I could hardly do the first day with 1 minute running intervals without wanting to collapse and give up, but if you stick with it, it pays off. I'm now in week 6 and can run for 20+ minutes without walking, and I actually LOVE running which I never thought would happen. Also, don't get discouraged if you have to repeat a week.
    If you do c25k, join the MFP group for some motivation: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

In addition to getting good running shoes, get moisture-wicking socks, rather than just cotton. They will help prevent blisters, and a lot of people forget this part.
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I took a learn to run course with the running room. excellent program. Get yourself a good bra, as well as adequate shoes. If you have large breasts, look for a bra meant for high impact, preferably with separate cups, they provide better support than one of those uniboob things.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    C25K.

Thumbs+Up.jpeg
  • Resolvedmom
    Resolvedmom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Another huge vote for the C25K program by Zen Labs! Free app, and you can listen to music simultaneously. I also agree that good shoes and good music are a huge motivator. I started from no exercising at all to running at the beginning of April. I am up to 2.5 miles and running for almost 30 minutes. I can't do the treadmill either. Outside running is great! And so great on the exercise endorphins.

You got this! Go for it!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Left foot, right foot.
    Left foot, right foot.

Continue.

That's how you begin.
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the C25K app by Zen Labs - free and very good. I also echo the importance of getting fitted for shoes - have someone analyze your stride to determine if you pronate, etc. Good shoes will pay off in the long run.

I'm going to put in another vote for trying to run outside. I've done C25K on the treadmill and I've done it outside and it's *so much* easier and nicer doing it outside. On the treadmill I find it a real chore to even run a couple of miles, but outside, I feel sometimes like I could go forever.

I listen to podcasts rather than music when I run, and I really find that they let my mind drift as I do my route.
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k for sure. I started the program on April 20th of this year and just ran my first race (3.5 miles). It took me 45 minutes, but let's step back two months to when I could not run for 60 seconds without coughing up a lung! Last night I was able to run straight through to the finish line. The program is designed for non-runners to work up to running and to do so at an encouraging pace. I can't recommend it enough - I was never a runner or even athletic but always wanted to run. This program helped me to finally achieve success, now to keep working at it! Good luck!
  • 55in13
    Options
    In addition to getting good running shoes, get moisture-wicking socks, rather than just cotton. They will help prevent blisters, and a lot of people forget this part.
    Yes. I did get this from the salesperson, so there may be a little positive spin going on, but I was told that the moisture wicking socks could extend the life of my shoes my nearly 50%. The idea being that shoes that come apart at the seams or get nasty inside are destroyed by moisture and using good socks you get the full tread life instead.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/condition.html

There is a beginner program
    8 weeks do the walking-only plan
    Then repeat the
    8 weeks but Do the jog-walking plan
    Then
    If you were doing well at week #16

He has a 5k plan on the same website

Start easy
    Start slow
    When you finish a workout,
    You should kinda feel like you could repeat the workout right then and there.

Easy does it.
    :-)
  • 55in13
    Options
    Left foot, right foot.
    Left foot, right foot.

Continue.

That's how you begin.
    Aw man! I have been leading with my right foot. Back to square one... :laugh: