how do you have 'just a treat'?

Options
How do you stop it turning into a binge?
That's my biggest problem right now, if i decide to have a treat example: meal out, if i overeat a little, i feel like 'oh well I've ruined it now i might as well keep going' how to stop thinking this way, as once i do this it can take weeks for me to start up trying to be healthy again its stopping me from going forwards as i'm scared the second i get invited out for food or something i'll ruin everything anyway :( HELP i really need to lose 21lb by the end of october!!

Replies

• lambchoplewis
    Options
    I cannot have "just a treat" as for me, a glass of wine leads to 3-4 and that leads to a binge. I have tried numerous times to have "just one" of a lot of things and for me, it does not work. I think I am a black and white person. Saying NO to all is easier for me as I have no discipline with "just a little". I am not sure how long (or if ever) it will take to be able to have just one.
  • utterbubble
    Options
    I also have a very 'black or white' way of looking at things but because i don't allow myself anything, i feel restricted and end up binge eating. So I'm learning how to have a TREAT and leave it as that lol how long did it take you to lose 21lb? btw.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I actually had lost 26 lbs and now have put back on 5. That is why I am so afraid and mad at myself. I am ok and getting back on track. It took 4 months. The maintenance has been much harder than the losing. I have been maintaining (until recently) for over a year. That is why it needs to stop. Thanks for comments.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have the same thoughts, but you just have to learn to be stronger. That and also make sure that you don't have any bad food in your house. I had to do this for months and months. Right now there is a pack of chocolate biscuits, and 2 boxes of dark chocolate at arms length and untouched today (8pm here) :happy: I could eat a block of chocolate in 5 mins!

Once you start, tell yourself you are going to STOP. And tell yourself that you have to make up for it tomorrow by having that bit less. Also remind yourself of your goals, that you need to be patient, and ALSO choose a day in the week when you will reward yourself with your favourite treat again.

All I want is a biscuit right now (100cals) but I know that I am having cake with a friend tomorrow, so I am holding myself back. The cake won't just taste good, but I will feel so proud of myself inside for being strong about it and saying no :)

It takes practice. Don't beat yourself up over it, we are all human. The binges will become fewer and time between them will increase until they don't exist anymore :flowerforyou:
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    also, plan social things ahead (like my cake example). If you KNOW you are going to be having a dinner out, reduce your lunch and breakfast portion by 100-150 cals each to give you a bit of room. It is something to look forward to and use as a small reward for having been so good for the days leading up to it :) try and see your weekly intake as an average, so if you're over 100 today aim to be under 100 tomorrow etc etc

And yeah wine is far too good. I just don't drink when I'm out at all, unless I go to a proper wine bar. No drinking at home either. Healthier and less calories and happier - don't need alcohol to be happy anyway! 1 home made iced dark chocolate may have a few more cals than 1 glass of red, but no one stops at a glass of wine, and alcohol stuffs up your system.
  • healthytanya1
    healthytanya1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I count all calories ahead of time so I know what and how much I can eat when I get to that point. Wheather its going out to eat or sitting at my own dinner table. I always read packages and just tell myself if I have this much it will add this much calories to my day. I dont restrict myself from anything but I know if I go for something fried I will only be able to have a couple bites to fit in my calories. So for the most part I dont eat high calorie foods cuz I wont feel full and I will keep eating. I do have bites of stuff here and there though.
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    There are no prohibited foods in my house for this very reason. If I buy a treat I buy one for each family member and that is it. It is different at the restaurant because everything is within your reach but maybe at those times it would be better not to allow a treat?
  • merseyblue
    merseyblue Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the treat thing too!

How I manage is to avoid having a treat such as one of my little girl's biscuits as there are more in the pack and I WILL eat them if I start. Instead, I buy a treat just for me - a fudge or a curly wurly usually - then save it for the evening. Of course, if I'm having a really motivated week, my treat will be a new lippy instead :)

It doesn't always work, but most times I'm good.

Jessica's comments about planning ahead are great. Calorie intake will even out over a week xx
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    its all about portions.

tumblr_inline_mia7apKysw1qz4rgp.gif
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Simply, change your mind, make your treat a reward for your health not about filling a food craving.
    My "treat" is for every 10 lbs I lose or ever other month, I reward my self with entering a 5k walk/run.
    Its money well spent on a treat for me that goes to two good causes,
    1st the charity the race is for and
    2nd me, its a whole morning I spend being mindful of life affirming thoughts, and living purposefully by being physically active and it just makes me feel good about myself afterwards, to me that is a real treat so much better than caving into a foodie moment!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Some people find they need to stay away from treats, (or some treats - for me its brownies) if they can't control themselves.

When you order food at a restaurant, get a to-go box ahead of time and put half the meal in it before you start eating.

It is hardest to break the mentality, here is mine..... "why should I pay $9 for a salad when I can pay $12.99 and have a salad and soup, and an entree, and two sides"
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Binge is not a work in my dictionary and nothing is banned. This is how failure starts I think. If you think you've done something 'naughty' then it's an excuse to give up.

If I feel the need to 'treat' myself (my social life has really taken off recently so it's not a treat, just a part of my life), I tend to limit a few days before hand to save up for an evening out or whatever. I try not to go over TDEE. I will walk further during the day, to earn some more calories etc. I will also be careful what I eat (sodium etc) the following days.

This is working for me.

It's your life - you have to work your diet around it, not the other way around.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I count all calories ahead of time so I know what and how much I can eat when I get to that point. Wheather its going out to eat or sitting at my own dinner table. I always read packages and just tell myself if I have this much it will add this much calories to my day.

This.

Last weekend I had Wawa Hoagies for lunch/dinner on Saturday and then Wendy's and Wawa on Sunday, because I work away from home on the weekends. BUT, I calculated my calories beforehand and "planned" them into my calorie count. I planned exactly what I was going to eat, and I didn't buy anything extra.

For small things like chocolate/ice cream cravings, I got some Dark chocolate Dove Ice creams. They're like the size of half a candy bar, and they're 60 calories. It's small, but I've found if I have that at the end of the night after dinner, I get in both my chocolate and ice cream cravings, and I feel completely satisfied with that 1 piece. It's definitely kept me from overindulging.
  • pearlmorning
    pearlmorning Posts: 86 Member
    Options

When you order food at a restaurant, get a to-go box ahead of time and put half the meal in it before you start eating.

That's a great idea!
  • utterbubble
    Options
    pmsl love that!! the spongebob picture i mean lol thanks for the replys everyone :)
  • froschkoenigin
    Options
    If I want a treat because I earned it from exercise or because it's a holiday, or even if I just WANT to have a treat, I think about this:

It's not gonna taste better if I eat more of it. Think: Just because I ate one cookie, that second cookie isn't gonna taste any different than the one before. The feeling of indulgence once in a while just feels so much better than eating the entire cake or pizza or whatnot. It's your mind you have to train. Take your time and practice how indulgence and having treats works for YOU!

Usually I have a treat right after my workout. I wouldn't want to ruin the workout's results so I don't binge. It's training, I guess...
  • SydneyRenee2
    SydneyRenee2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just set my mind straight before hand that I'm only going to have a certain amount. What really helps is if everyone else is enjoying the treat so you have no choice but to only have a small amount because there's none left after everyone has their share. :)