Meeting Cals and Not Macros??

Options
So, I'm trying to meet macros after learning a ton from a really awesome fitness person I follow on FB and IG.

Anyway, I am just confused on some math the MFP... I entered a sample meal plan for tomorrow, I'm literally just trying to meet the macro numbers, but I don't understand how I can meet fat, and then have protein, and carbs available, but only 3 calories left?! I should technically have 84 calories left, right? (Protein 19x4 + Carbs 2x4).

Totals 1,617 123 36 180

Daily Goal 1,620 142 36 182

Remaining 3 19 0 2
Calories Protein Fat Carbs

It's late and I've had a long day, so I'm not sure if I'm just over thinking it or what is going on... Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Labels are not required to be exact. They can be off by a few calories...and if it's under 5 calories, they can actually report 0 calories. This happens a lot, unfortunately.

As long as you meet your minimum protein and fat goals (it's perfectly OK to go over these, just try not to be under) it's all good. No need to worry about getting them exactly perfect.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Howd you come up with those macros? Is that 36g fat and 180 carbs?
  • anvacarz_again
    Options
    Ah, yes, sorry. I had it all spaced out appropriately and then when it posted it was condensed again. I had them calculated for me by a trainer. Not sure of the formula she uses. I just got this info yesterday, so trying to figure out ways to meet these goals.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Are you an athlete or do you just work out to lose weight
  • anvacarz_again
    Options
    I wouldn't call myself an athlete necessarily; I'm a runner and am trying out longer distances (10+ miles) lately.

My question was mostly about the actual calculations with MFP though more than anything. The numbers don't add up. I had "leftover" protein and carb grams but not enough calories to cover the deficit. I just didn't understand that calculation.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if it's a rounding error - like rounding the meals and totalling them or something.

I currently have 342 calories left, 17g of fat and 46g of protein. 17*9 + 46*4 = 337

If I add up the cals in my totals of food logged it works at 4 cals per g of fibre and protein and 9 cals/g fat and matches the total cals.

The daily goal is out by 5, this is with a small exercise calorie adjustment. Tomorrow's goals work ok so it's somewhere around the adjustment to the totals based on exercise that the error appears.
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    1) check that the entries you use are correct. if it says 100 calories and has (P,F,C) as 15, 5, 10...you know this is wrong since the math by macros = (25x4) + (5x5) = 125 cals

2) I read somewhere about setting your macros and cals. you have to set your cals first them macros or other way around when doing it manually.

3) I wouldnt worry about hitting them spot on. if you are within 5% i'd say your you are good. You could have some low cal protein to catch up today. I pre-plan meals (with MFP the day before) alot to avoid hitting this type issue later in the day and have the wrong foods left in my goody bag or fridge at work.
  • anvacarz_again
    Options
    Thanks! I guess it is just a rounding error. I've never added it up before and was getting frustrated last night trying to figure it out!