How did you prepare/begin your new lifestlye?

Options
I'm picking a day to begin (to work myself up to it and to give me a chance to get rid of the
unhealthy stuff from the cupboards ;) )
I'm also going to keep a food log and I've written my 'plan' in it ready for when i begin.

How did you prepare? what did you do first? did you just go for it?

thanks

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I just started logging. Actually, I think logging without changing anything gives you a good baseline to compare yourself to. It also gives you a sense of where your calories are coming from so you can make better choices.

For me the biggest thing I get out of MFP is that educated me about a few things that I was doing that added up to enough extra calories that I had gained a pound a year for 30 years. Then it was easy to drop those few things and lose weight.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I just started logging. Actually, I think logging without changing anything gives you a good baseline to compare yourself to. It also gives you a sense of where your calories are coming from so you can make better choices.

I agree completely with this statement because all or nothing can easily lead to binge eating after a week or so...not always, but can. Just take a REAL look at how you eat and log every single thing(every thing) and then eliminate things one by one over a few weeks while adding in some activity. For instance, soda one week then fried food the next. The real grey area for me was whether or not to keep the occasional treat on hand and I went with NO for a long while until I knew for sure that I would not eat too much of it. I still go out and have Mexican once a week or have a good dessert once in a while, but I stick to healthy eating 95% of the time and that has worked very well for me. Best of luck to you and if you need any support you can add me.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Sorry, it quoted the whole thing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I started logging without any changes whatsoever...from there, I could easily see where I needed improvement and where I could make better, healthier choices. I could also see where I could easily cut to reduce my calories for my deficit. Also, for me it was more about health and nutrition than actually losing weight...weight loss was just kinda gravy. I was trying to reverse a lot of bad blood work with diet and get off my meds (accomplished BTW)...everything else has just been gravy.
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I just simply pick one bad habit and reduce it or eliminate it from my daily rountine. I first started out with reducing my intake of soda to once a day then once a week, and lastly none...

I have learned in a health class that starting with small steps will last a life time. So far it is proven me right.
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I just jumped right in and started logging. Then I started buying healthier food while still (sparingly) eating the "junk" that's still in the house.
  • Chemburly12
    Options
    I just went for it and started logging. At that time it was so hard to eat only 1700 calories a day, I didn't realize how much I was actually eatting. It gave me a chance to evaluate the things I normally eat and figure out what I needed to get rid of and what I could keep around in moderation. Doing a cleanse of my cabinets never worked for me. I need to have a treat from time to time.

I do agree with though, just start logging to see where you are now for a baseline. Then modify what you eat to fit into your daily nutritional allowance. Just keep at it! It does get easier.
  • cdqtducks
    cdqtducks Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started wearing a pedometer for about a month before I did anything with my eating. wanted to know how many steps I normally took and if there was a way to get more than that. Found out to get to 10,000 steps (the recommending amount) I don't think I will ever get there with my job. (I have a desk job and I ranged from 3000-5000 steps a day) So after that I decided it needed to be food and me working out more. I have JUST started deciding that I need to work out not only after work, but before as well.

Starting to believe I'm going to jog in the morning and do strength training after work.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I watched some documentaries about obesity and jumped in. I love "Killer at Large", on Netflix. I stopped eating junk and animal products immediately. It is not for everyone, but it is for me. I went "cold tofurkey", one might say. (No, I don't actually eat tofurkey)

Many would recommend a more gradual approach. You know what works for you though!:drinker:
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    My planning? Hmmm, I think I'll start running. Followed a few weeks later by "myfitnesspal pal"? Wonder what that is? It's free-why not? If I worried about planning, I'd spend months "planning" and never get around to the "doing". But that's me.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I just started tracking, too. The first few nights, I didn't do it as I went - I just sat down before bed and thought through everything I had put in my mouth that day (which I have since found, is NOT a good way for me to log!).

The first week was horrendous lol but I didn't make any changes to my diet until I could assess just how bad it had gotten. And then I ransacked my pantry and threw all of the crap out, got a food scale, a set of measuring cups and spoons (because, believe it or not, I didn't even have one before). And I forced myself to dole out single-serving portions of my favorite foods until I got into the habit of seeing how much I ought to have been eating all along in place of my super-sized meals.

I also warned my boyfriend that I was going to start making some changes, and that he was no longer allowed to suggest Chinese for dinner until at least mid-summer, once I had established better eating habits. Poor guy. Once, I actually caved and asked if we could get Little Panda for dinner - he said "but you're not supposed to eat that stuff" and he got hell for almost two days lol <3 #hungrygirlgoescrazy?
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I also just started logging. I committed to putting it all in my MFP, no matter what I was eating, and there were a few days there about a week in that were not pretty (that is where in the past I would have quit because I "failed"). Grand gestures like pantry sweeps don't work for me because it freaks me out.

Once I got the logging down, I started tweaking my calories/macros. I was on MFP forums a lot and looked around on fitness sites and played with calculators (TDEE, body fat, BMI).

Right now I am working on figuring out how to get exercise incorporated into my life. If I hate it, I won't stay with it, so this is the challenge and it is going very slowly. But that's OK, I'm in this for the long haul.
  • OGJake12
    OGJake12 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I did a total cleanout of my life.

Did different tasks everyday to prep for my new lifestyle. Like clean/scrub my refrigerator and get rid of all the bad foods in the cabinets.

I made a playlist specifically for working out.

I bought some new workout clothes/shoes

I made a list of reasons on why I should change my lifestyle, and a list why I shouldn't. (Obviously the list to change was much longer and more meaningful)

I began a guided workout program.

I joined a gym

I made a detailed grocery list. and went grocery shopping

It gave me a lot of momentum, and its done nothing but help me change. I am a changed man, and my preparation helped me overcome my addiction to food, and laziness.
  • katmariew
    katmariew Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Like how I start many things, I just dived right in. Seemed to work!
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    It was just a mind over matter for me!!! I got fed up enough to change!
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I did the extreme.. cleaned out the cupboards and donated what I could to a shelter.
    Stocked up on healthy foods and just went balls to the wall in.
    I actually didn't work out that first month, added exercise after that.

That was 170 days ago today :-)
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I hit rock bottom first, saw pictures that made me ashamed. So ashamed. Then jumped right in, no tiptoeing into the shallow end, full head first dive into the deep end...
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I got thrown in at the deep end and doggy-paddled. ;)

My husband signed me up to a 6 week challenge with a colleague of his and I felt awful if I said no as he made it out like she was relying on me to help her win something. So I reluctantly went to the classes...and never looked back. I still work out with the same trainer and, in fact, I actually work for her now (networking and the like) and I'm hoping to get a training certification in the future!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    The logest journey begins with a single step. Which is to say, one day I signed up on MFP and started logging every bite I ate. Then I started eating less to stay under my goal. Weight loss followed.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Started logging everything, realized where I had my biggest issues and began making small changes that I could continue forever, set realistic goals from myself when I reached those I set new ones.

If I had waited until tomorrow or another day I would never have started.