Free Food

Options
2»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Isn't the properties of these foods processed differently, ergo more usable calories that don't get stored as fat? Just asking.

There are some extremely low calorie foods (lettuce, celery, cabbage, cucumber) ......that are also high in fiber. Your body doesn't absorb all of the calories from fiberous foods (net carb concept). Those to me are like "free foods." I do log lettuce (and the rest) .... but I don't bother to measure it out.

However, fruits would never be free foods (for me). I wish I could eat fruit all day long ...... yes, there is fiber in fruit too, but not nearly enough to cancel out eating it.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Log them as a good thing so you can admire your fine eating habits in your own diary and use it for inspiration. Also, it helps for keeping track over several days. Some days I eat more veggies or fiber or meat than others. I use the diary to help me balance it out over several days.
  • patter10
    patter10 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Well, the reason I've asked is because me and my wife are using this app together. Now I was logging everything, however, I only have 1450 allotted for a day. I ended up getting real hungry and binge eating. My wife, on the other-hand, has been more forgiving. Going the weight watchers route and not counting the fruits or veggies. Keep in mind that theses are being used as in between meal fillers not splurge items. She's managed to lose 25lbs where as I've lost 4. Plus she isn't ready to kill someone most of the time. Where is a happy balance?
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    They are not free and you should log them. At the end of the day, if you're still hungry it would be better for you to have an apple over a bag of chips nutritionally, but they may have the same amount of calories. :flowerforyou:
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Well, the reason I've asked is because me and my wife are using this app together. Now I was logging everything, however, I only have 1450 allotted for a day. I ended up getting real hungry and binge eating. My wife, on the other-hand, has been more forgiving. Going the weight watchers route and not counting the fruits or veggies. Keep in mind that theses are being used as in between meal fillers not splurge items. She's managed to lose 25lbs where as I've lost 4. Plus she isn't ready to kill someone most of the time. Where is a happy balance?

1450 cals for the day? And your a man! How did you come up with this number?
    As a woman, I eat more than that...even more on days where i do a lot of activity.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I'm not a guy .... but I think 1450 is really low (?) Plus even with 1450, you should be eating exercise calories back. No wonder you're ready to kill someone .... and you don't have the energy to do it either.

Your wife may have a bigger % of body weight to lose than you do. If you have a smaller % to lose .... then you will lose weight at a slower rate. When you get close to goal, weight loss can be excruciatingly slow.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    When documenting your daily intake should you document fruits and vegetables? There are so many resources that refer to these items as free food and one should eat as many of them as possible guilt free.
    You should eat as many of them as possible, and you definitely shouldn't feel any guilt about it. They do, however, have calories. Whether you log them or not is up to you, and there is something to be said for flexible logging BUT you should be particularly aware of those fruits and vegetables that have a significant amount of calories, such as bananas or potatoes. You could easily end up ruining your progress if you are consuming large amounts of fruits & vegetables and not counting them.
    Isn't the properties of these foods processed differently, ergo more usable calories that don't get stored as fat? Just asking.
    No
    It sounds like 1450 calories a day may be too low for you. That wouldn't surprise me, especially given that you are a man and apparently only have about 15 lbs to lose.