Thinking of the Weight Loss Surgery?

Options

Replies

• Mseleanor1
    Mseleanor1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I believe the surgery be what it may is a stepping stone to get whoever does it moving in the right direction.. I don't believe it is a easy, lazy way out because the folks that opt for it still have to work just as hard as someone like myself to keep the weight off. At the company I work for there are lots of folks that had gastric bypass and the lap band. They go through a lot after the surgery and life for them totally changes. One friend even ate his way over the vomiting and nausea and is gaining his weight back. That's another thing once people know they've had the surgery they are constantly watched to see if they'll gain. I have one friend that is doing awesome with keeping her weight down but she counts calories and exercise. So they don't get away from it they just get a big jump start on their weight loss journey.

I'm not a candidate for the surgery so I can't get the jump start - but good luck to all that can and did!

Just my opinion!
  • Readytodothis1
    Options
    Why do people feel that when other people don't agree with them there comments are negative? This is a very sensitive subject and on a weight loss site such as this you're gonna have a lot of people not in favor of surgery. I'm not being negative but I know a couple of people the had wls and had to lose a certain amount of weight before the could have it. If you can get it together and lose weight to have the surgery, why not just keep going to avoid it? If weight loss surgery is what you decide to do Good luck and I wish you all well.
  • Lovelyladydawn
    Lovelyladydawn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Why do people feel that when other people don't agree with them there comments are negative? This is a very sensitive subject and on a weight loss site such as this you're gonna have a lot of people not in favor of surgery. I'm not being negative but I know a couple of people the had wls and had to lose a certain amount of weight before the could have it. If you can get it together and lose weight to have the surgery, why not just keep going to avoid it? If weight loss surgery is what you decide to do Good luck and I wish you all well.

Honestly it's a choice that we have every right to make and it's as simple as that. True everyone will have opinions and they are welcome to them, it's a bit ridiculous when people become flat out rude. You are unable to read the actual comments because the webmaster deleted them. However, I see this surgery as no different from any other elective procedure, many woman have breasts implants, buttock implants, tummy tucks, LIPO and nose jobs yet they arent given this much negative feedback about it. Perhaps if it was called a "Cosmetic" procedure over "Bariatric or WLS" it would be better accepted.
  • irishgirlonajourney
    Options
    I think you could achieve better results without the surgery. Its shouldn't be the first choice, its should be the last resort. I've lost 111 lbs with hard work and diet, changing your lifestyle is what you need to do.

Just my 2 cents.. for what its worth.

For many of us this was our last resort/choice. This choice isn't the easy way out either. I was Sleeved on 11/5/2012 and would never change my mind to do it if I had the choice to go back and revisit that time in my life. I am happier and healthier, and have the greatest tool I could ever ask for.

For me strict diet and exercise didn't work. Remember your accomplishments won't work for everyone, and neither will mine.
  • Quilled
    Quilled Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    because i weigh 504 pounds and i have to do this or i will die. I have disabilities that limit me from exercising as avidly as the "average" person. Honestly, you don't know my story, so don't try to guess what's in my book

I think the person was more asking 'if you can lose 80lbs without the surgery, can you continue to lose weight the same method you are losing now and potentially not have surgery.'

Surgery is dangerous and there are a lot of complications to WLS and its not a fix all. As many who have had it in this thread already know. Its not easy but it is a guarantee (at least for a short while), that you will lose weight. Someone without the weightloss surgery has to exercise or they wont lose the weight. Those with the weight loss surgery are pretty much guaranteed weight loss (at least for a while).

Now I am not saying people who get WLS are lazy or that its easy to live with, just that its very different from traditional. I know a lot of people go into the weight loss surgery, take it seriously and do everything right. But to say weight loss surgery is harder than traditional... I would say thats wrong. Traditional have to make food choices and resist things not because its going to make them throw up or get sick but because they will gain weight otherwise. They have to exercise and burn the calories off to see faster weight loss and better muscle gains (which help more with weight loss).

I am by no means saying WLS is in any way 'cheating' and I know for many people its an emergency situation where they need to lose a lot of weight fast. But I do feel that WLS isnt the best option as its not 100% preparing people for the 'rest of their life' stage of diets. I know there is lots of therapy and nutritional advice involved but traditional diet and exercise not only starts to get you where you should be but it helps you deal with everyday life and prepares you for the future. WLS you lose all the weight then have to deal with the rest of your life and so for many people who get WLS they dont manage the 'rest of your life' part well and end up gaining back a good portion of the weight.

Now these are just the major flaws I see with WLS, congrats to anyone who got it done and was successful, it was by no means easy and you are definitely healthier now and in a better place for doing it.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am type II diabetic and had also considered weight loss surgery. The meds I have taken for diabetes as well as a beta blocker for my heart and hormone issues kept my body from losing weight. I was desperate and ready to try anything. My endocrinologist in Dallas put me on one last diabetes medication and it made all the difference. If it hadn't, I would have done the surgery because the complications from the surgery were less frightening to me than the complications from obesity and diabetes. You do what you've got to to get to a normal, healthy weight. I want to be able to play with my grandchildren!
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I contemplated surgery late last year. I met with dietitians and nutritionists, had psych evaluations and many consults. In the end, I couldn't go through with it, but realizing that that's where I was at was such a huge motivating factor in my decision to change things up.

Surgery scares me, but if it works for some, I say good for them.

And good job, OP. You look great!
  • Lovelyladydawn
    Options

Surgery is dangerous and there are a lot of complications to WLS and its not a fix all. As many who have had it in this thread already know. Its not easy but it is a guarantee (at least for a short while), that you will lose weight. Someone without the weightloss surgery has to exercise or they wont lose the weight. Those with the weight loss surgery are pretty much guaranteed weight loss (at least for a while).

Now I am not saying people who get WLS are lazy or that its easy to live with, just that its very different from traditional. I know a lot of people go into the weight loss surgery, take it seriously and do everything right. But to say weight loss surgery is harder than traditional... I would say thats wrong. Traditional have to make food choices and resist things not because its going to make them throw up or get sick but because they will gain weight otherwise. They have to exercise and burn the calories off to see faster weight loss and better muscle gains (which help more with weight loss).

I am by no means saying WLS is in any way 'cheating' and I know for many people its an emergency situation where they need to lose a lot of weight fast. But I do feel that WLS isnt the best option as its not 100% preparing people for the 'rest of their life' stage of diets. I know there is lots of therapy and nutritional advice involved but traditional diet and exercise not only starts to get you where you should be but it helps you deal with everyday life and prepares you for the future. WLS you lose all the weight then have to deal with the rest of your life and so for many people who get WLS they dont manage the 'rest of your life' part well and end up gaining back a good portion of the weight.

Now these are just the major flaws I see with WLS, congrats to anyone who got it done and was successful, it was by no means easy and you are definitely healthier now and in a better place for doing it.

-Isnt any surgery dangerous?
    -Weight loss surgery isn't guaranteed weight loss, many people have had the surgery and not lost a thing because they dont follow directions.
    -It's not fast weight loss, I am not allowed to lose more than 1-2lbs per week which is the healthly suggested pace of any physician.

Overall, what I am getting at is it's so easy for someone who has not had the surgery to state "facts and details" about how unhealthy or unsafe it is, but really have no idea of what its like other than what you have read, heard or seen on a youtube video. This post wasnt to recieve your negative opinions, it was to assist those who have had the surgery to give their input or to help someone through the process. We are all on MFP to lose weight and become healthy so try uplifting instead of putting down...
  • Lovelyladydawn
    Options
    I never imagined it would be such negativety surrounding this topic, especially when there are individuals out there who abuse diet pills, intentionally make themselves regurgitate, cases of starvation, depression from obesity etc just to become smaller. I'm so glad to have a great support system, family and friends who understood my lifelong struggle. My decision to have the surgery was not made over night in fact it took years of research, prayer and thought..I take it upon myself to workout daily, eat the right foods and live my life as I see fit to be here for my son, so again if I can help someone along the way, I will.Just smh...
  • 240x30
    240x30 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
  • lisafoster66
    Options
    I want to agree with something you said.........I had Gastric bypass in 2001. in th first yr I lost 160 pds. Lack of knowledge/rsearch on my part and a doctor who didn't inform me of things I needed to know, I have regained 100 pd back over the past 10 yrs or so. I am, vit. difficiant which has cause major health problems. So YES it can have complications in the long run. I don't regret having the surgery but I do regret my lack of learning more AND that the doctor I choice didn't feel some things were important for me to know. Nor was I ever told or made to have any councling, seminars nothing. just did consult, lab work and scheduled surgery. My life did depend on this surgery but my life now depends on losing these 100 pd again........by watching what I eat, excersing very slowly and learning about health and nutrician.
  • lisafoster66
    Options
    I had WLS in 2001, gastric bypass. Lost 150 , regained 100 over the years since surgery. My advice to anyone who is considering having this suregery is make sure you have a Doctor who will tell you ALL the things you will need to know to make this surgery work for life. Do A LOT of research, talk to people who have went thru it recently and in the way past. I was told back in 2001 many different things then they are saying now about the gastric bypass. If you go thru with it, use it as a TOOL to get healthy. It isnt a "quick fix" Just my opinion.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    In all fairness limiting your intake is huge. Someon e doing it on their own does not have that assistance to be fair.
    I think you could achieve better results without the surgery. Its shouldn't be the first choice, its should be the last resort. I've lost 111 lbs with hard work and diet, changing your lifestyle is what you need to do.

Just my 2 cents.. for what its worth.

I'm sure the surgery is everyone's last resort as I have spent half of my life batteling weight loss/gain. After trying every diet in the book, this is what worked for me..Since when does having the surgery mean it's easy and not hard? My dear the band only limits how much I intake, everything else is on me.. Working out, eating the right foods etc. Thanks for your input..
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would never contemplate it, ever. I work in the health care industry and the horror stories make me believe the risks far outweigh the reward. I don't judge others for making the choice but if you have to discipline yourself anyway to diet and exercise, why not lose it the old fashioned (healthy) way.

Good luck to all who choose this path.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I have never had or needed weight loss surgery, but I know people who have. I think we need to remember that we are not all working on a level playing field here. There are so many factors that come into play with regard to weight loss. Just because one person was able to lose the weight without undergoing weight loss surgery, doesn't necessarily mean that everyone can, or should, be held to these standards.

Yes, weight loss surgery should absolutely be a last resort option. People should absolutely exhaust other options before undergoing weight loss surgery. It's easy for us to judge, but when you have struggled with your weight all of your life, and you are literally being told by your doctors that you need to lose weight or you will die, then you absolutely need to do what you feel is best for you. Sometimes this means taking drastic measures to make the change.

MFP and weight loss surgery are tools to aid us in our health, fitness, and weight loss goals. They don't do the work. We do.
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I know so many people who had the surgery, and many of them have intestinal issues, chronic vitamin deficiencies and/or chronic abdominal pain. 50-100 lbs is not a lot of weight to lose, and I personally don't think any physician should operate on someone who just want to lose that much weight. Anyone, and we've seen many stories on MFP of men and women losing that much weight by going to the gym, can lose weight with proper diet and exercise. It's not rocket science.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I am totally against it. I believe it's too dangerous and even if it doesn't kill you many people have problems from it. So not worth it. Just track your calories and go for a walk as often as you can. This makes me so sad when I hear people considering it. It's no magic cure..
  • wbaumgartner59
    Options
    Until very recently, I have never given it a thought to have Weight Loss Surgery. I have been struggling with being a fat man my whole life. I have tried diet and exercise and the weight goes off, the weight comes back. I walk and ride my bike as much as I can, been doing this for 3 years now. I watch what I eat and I still cannot lose the weight. I truly believe that genetics is a factor in obesity as well as lifestyle. I have changed my lifestyle, now what?

For the last several months, I have been doing my research on WLS and what effects it will have on my life. I understand the risk and the challenges. I am nearing early retirement at age 57. There are many "Epic" things in my bucket list, many of which I cannot do carrying an extra 125 lbs. I am tired of the roller coaster dieting, and I am tired of being FAT.

Is WLS the right choice for me? For many years I thought not. I thought I could do this and be able to do the things I want. It never came true. I have chosen to take the next steps in reaching my goals of hiking for days in the mountains, walking the Appalachian Trail, and riding my bicycle across America.

I will have the WLS performed only because I believe it is the last resort for me. This is not a magic cure, it is not the best of all options, but it is for me the right thing for me. It is a life style change that cannot be backed out of once it is done. Monitoring Vitamin levels, and the food that are consumed will be a forced life style and not one that can be ignored.

It's not a matter of being for or against it. It is a choice someone makes in their life that will be permanent. I commend the people who can lose the weight and live normally. But I have respect for the people who have chosen to change their life by having WLS. For most It is not an easy choice, for me it is by far the hardest choice I will ever make in my life.
  • kandienicole
    Options
    Cant believe all the negativity! Whatever works for you! You cant get surgery and then just eat what you want ...it takes alot of work to maintain and keep it off. Leave the girl alone just because you don't believe in it or don't agree with it DOES NOT MEAN ITS WRONG!

Agree...it works for some and doesn't for others...dieting and exercising works for some and doesn't for others. Don't judge her on your thoughts of how it may have helped/hurt someone in your life or even yourself. Congratulate her on making the decision to go on this journey and the fact that she has had success. Success is the best motivator....I foresee great things in her future!
  • ashleegil
    ashleegil Posts: 26
    Options
    I had the gastrric sleeve on April 25, 2013. While I have lost 57 pounds since surgery, it is a struggle every single day. Eating is a chore now, it is mentally awful. I have a therapist I see for emotional and binge eating 3 times a week and without her I am pretty sure I would fail in the end. I have started to address causes of the eating issues I have had most of my life and I am enjoying the ride down the scale. I will say that type 2 diabetes is hereditary in all of my parents, grandparents, and uncles. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. has it. If I didn't get ahold of myself now I would continue to yo yo diet and eventually end up that way too.

People like me aren't always lazy. It's not always because they just want an "easy way out" because trust me this most definitely is harder than any diet I have ever been on. The thing about it is, I followed many diets in my life and would lose 100 pounds and gain 150 left lose 150 gain 100 back over the past 10 years I figure I have lost over 400 pounds and gained 300. I am 100 pounds more than I weighed in high school and thank god there is a surgical tool to help retrain me to eat properly and control my portions.

Emotion eating and binge eating are now classified as mental medical disorders. People aren't born this way.

That being said. I did this for me and MY FUTURE. If it doesn't work into your mind or your plan fine, I am guessing I don't know you and you aren't likely in MY FUTURE either. That by no means gives you authority to look down on someone for getting surgical intervention and using their TOOL. In fact, if you are using MFP it kind of makes you hypocritical because like MFP surgery only provides a tool to aid in recovery of obesity.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!