Been on this journey for 2.5 years and still...

Options
Hey all! I still need help after 2.5 years on this journey. I started losing weight in Jan 2011, and weighed 240. I lost my first 90 pounds within my first year. I felt lean and healthy- but in reality I know that I wasn't. I was doing cardio like a mad woman, not lifting weights, only eating 1,000 calories/day. I decided that I was going to try for a healthier style instead.. around the same time of the "healthier" style my grandfather passed away (my rock and best friend), I got married and did the honeymoon thing, moved, had knee surgery, but I was also eating around 1200-1400 calories/day at that point. I gained back 15 pounds. Since then I have been struggling. I can't seem to lose the last 22 pounds I want to. I weigh 162 right now and my height is 5'3".

This is my normal schedule- I do a bit of cardio and weights 6x a week. Sundays are my "rest" days. I also eat around 1200-1450 calories/day. My diary is open so you can check it out. I sleep 7-8 hours/night.

I'm just getting discouraged that it has taken this long to lose the last bit of weight I had. The thing is- I wouldn't be so discouraged if I didn't feel "squishy" lol. Advice?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Anytime I start to feel discouraged and whatnot, I remind myself that I ended up where I was with a good decade + of neglecting my nutrition and fitness...I didn't end up fat and out of shape over night...or over the course of a few weeks or even a couple of years...I ended up fat and out of shape over the course of 10-15 years of neglect. Thus, I cannot expect to regain my former fitness body in a matter of weeks, months, or even a couple years. Personally, I think it'll take me at least a couple years to be even 1/2 of what I was when I let myself go. Considering how long it took me to got to ****, a couple of years to get half way back isn't too bad really...
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Anytime I start to feel discouraged and whatnot, I remind myself that I ended up where I was with a good decade + of neglecting my nutrition and fitness...I didn't end up fat and out of shape over night...or over the course of a few weeks or even a couple of years...I ended up fat and out of shape over the course of 10-15 years of neglect. Thus, I cannot expect to regain my former fitness body in a matter of weeks, months, or even a couple years. Personally, I think it'll take me at least a couple years to be even 1/2 of what I was when I let myself go. Considering how long it took me to got to ****, a couple of years to get half way back isn't too bad really...

Thanks so much! I just didn't know if I should be doing something different besides try being patient, lol
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Wow...you LOST 90 pounds...that is freaking inspiring!! I think you need to keep doing what you are doing, maybe change up some of your work outs and keep trying new things. Your goal is for a long term sustainble healthy life style. You are doing that! Congratulations and keep up the good work. Don't get down on yourself, I always here that those last few pounds are the hardest. So just keep putting in the work, and taking the accolades when they come. Great work!!
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open. It sounds like you took time off and 90 pounds in a year is incredible. How long have you truly been working towards these last 22 pounds? Now that you are closer to goal it is meant to be a slower process but that's as much as I have for ya. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Thanks so much! I just didn't know if I should be doing something different besides try being patient, lol

You're doing awesome...dropping 90 Lbs in a year is fantastic. Just be patient...keep on keepin' on with the good livin'...everything else will take care of itself.

Also, with 22 lbs to lose, you may want to re-evaluate your per week goals. Generally speaking, the less you have to lose, the worse your body is going to respond to large deficits. With only 20 Lbs to lose, I'd dial that back to 1 Lb per week loss goal...then 1/2 Lb per week loss goal when you're within about 10 Lbs or so. The less you have to lose, the slower it has to go. When you have a lot to lose, you can drop pretty fast.
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    i'm on here for 3 years now. lost my first 100lbs in a matter of months and then the 50 after that in months again. still working on the rest. it's hard but we can get there.
  • eliz_in_pink
    Options
    Your diary isn't open. It sounds like you took time off and 90 pounds in a year is incredible. How long have you truly been working towards these last 22 pounds? Now that you are closer to goal it is meant to be a slower process but that's as much as I have for ya. Good luck!

My apologies! I thought it was- will be open to public (instead of just friends) now. I have truly been working towards the last 22 pounds for about 9 months or so?
  • eliz_in_pink
    Options

You're doing awesome...dropping 90 Lbs in a year is fantastic. Just be patient...keep on keepin' on with the good livin'...everything else will take care of itself.

Also, with 22 lbs to lose, you may want to re-evaluate your per week goals. Generally speaking, the less you have to lose, the worse your body is going to respond to large deficits. With only 20 Lbs to lose, I'd dial that back to 1 Lb per week loss goal...then 1/2 Lb per week loss goal when you're within about 10 Lbs or so. The less you have to lose, the slower it has to go. When you have a lot to lose, you can drop pretty fast.

Will do! Thanks!
  • rockbottomfarm
    rockbottomfarm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've read that a lot of people plateau in weight but then drop inches... Keep measuring yourself and see if you are loosing there (but don't get discouraged). Also, when weightlifting lean towards lower weights and higher reps... And do planks! And as far as your body is concerned this is the new norm for you... So you may have to kick up the workouts a bit or just change then up try a new class.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    NECRO THREAD.