vitamin D

Options
So....

I was tested low for Vitamin D last year and then again this year. I have tried taking Vitamin D supplements but notice that I get gassy, bloated and a bit constipated from taking them. When I stop taking them, I go back to normal. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed anything similar? I know most of the population seems to come up as deficient in Vitamin D so curious if anyone else has issues with taking it. I was doing some reading that made me think taking magnesium along with it is recommended. I wonder if it will help with my issues since I want to keep taking it.

Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    TAKE A MULTI VITAMIN ?
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    EAT FOODS CONTAINING VITAMIN D
    1. MILK
    2.FISH
    3. MUSHROOMS
    4. FORTIFIED CEREAL
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Your body makes Vitamin D when exposed to sunlight. So try to get some sun exposure, just a little bit each day as well
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Stand in the sunshine as much as possible.

I also have vitamin d deficiency. I have vitamins I have to take. But most people in my city have it because we get more clouds and rain than actual sunshine. haha
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Sunshine, always the answer.

I have a B-12 issue, but I take vitamins for it, and it works out fine for me :)

Even just 10 minutes a day in the sun without sunscreen is the minimum - I get that going on my walks on lunch break!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I have a vitamin D deficiency and I take supplements. I have digestive issues too, but not from the vitamin D supplement. I take a probiotic and that seems to help. Perhaps it is the brand you are taking? Have you talked about this with your doctor?
  • Camilletherealdeal
    Camilletherealdeal Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting your supplements? Because vitamins and other nutritional supplements are not regulated by the FDA, if you are buying the cheap kind from the grocery store there may be a bunch of extra junk in there that isn't on the bottle, or the capsule itself, usually made from some kind of gelatin, may be bothering you. Try going to a local health food store to get a reputable brand. They will be a little more expensive, but shouldn't be too bad. The brand I take is NOW, I think 4000iu per day, and it doesn't bother my tummy at all.
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I live in Vermont and this state is notorious for causing a Vit D defeciency due to lack of appropriate amounts of sunlight. LOL

My doctor put me on prescription dose Vit D until my numbers are normal and then I am to take the OTC dose daily. Even though I get plenty of sunshine when the sun is shining and I eat yogurt, cheese and drink milk, she says that that obviously isn't enough and that is often the case in Vermont and in New England in general because of our numeorus cloudy days.

I didn't notice any side effects from it, but it could be that I wasn't really paying attention either. LOL
    I do however notice it when I eat broccoli. Ugh!
    Good luck!
  • smsavoy
    smsavoy Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues with Vitamin D, my levels were so low for a couple years in a row. I now take a prescription of Vitamin D once a week. I have always had stomach issues, so i don't see a difference as far as that is concerned.

You might want to speak to your doctor and see if they have any suggestions. Maybe see if you can get the prescription to up your levels, then you can use the sun and foods that contain Vitamin D to keep your levels up.

Wishing you much luck and hope you find something that will help you out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Never had any issues with my 5000 IU. I take that and get plenty of sunshine...I have my next panel in July, so I shall see where I stand.

As others have said, get some sunshine...
  • 4bigeasy
    4bigeasy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have vitamin D issues too, having to take the prescription dose and now take 5,000 units daily. I kept getting lower than low normal readings, then I read vitamin D has to be taken with fat to be absorbed, so not on an empty stomach. I now take mine with a fish oil supplement and my readings are now in the low normals. Woot!
  • sunfirelynn
    sunfirelynn Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I tested low also so been taking them for 2 years and so far all is good. I,ve never been one for going number 2 every day so cant say its from the vitamin D. I'd probaly lose weight better if I did go everyday tho:tongue:
  • LovelyVeggies
    Options
    I have heard of people with serious vitamin D deficiencies getting high-dose injections from their doctors. Maybe that is something to discuss with your doctor.

Like others, I get my D from sunshine during the warmer months. I do take pills during the winter, but I haven't experienced any negative side effects.
  • figomezzo
    figomezzo Posts: 29
    Options
    It definitely could be the brand. I'm usually pretty picky with my vitamins and only buy them from WF or a health food store, but I bought this one (nature's bounty) because it was gluten and soy free and I was not eating those at the time. It wasn't the same brand that I was taking last year that also seemed to cause the same issues but that brand is escaping me at the moment.

I think I might just skip it for now and plan on getting my vitamin D through the sun like you all mentioned. I just don't want the gas and bloating anymore and its such a low dose (800 IU) that I'm taking that I just cant see how its creating this havoc...unless its the other ingredients..or its because I'm not taking it with other needed vitamins.
  • figomezzo
    figomezzo Posts: 29
    Options
    Oh and I plan on biking to work about 2 hours round trip twice a week so that should give me my much needed vitamin D for at least the next few months!!
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Standing in the sun to cure a vitamin D deficiency is not an effective way to fix the problem, and could cause other problems.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Standing in the sun to cure a vitamin D deficiency is not an effective way to fix the problem, and could cause other problems.

This.

OP, it may be the brand. I buy mine in liquid drops now and have no issue.
  • lizbeth926
    lizbeth926 Posts: 43
    Options

This.

OP, it may be the brand. I buy mine in liquid drops now and have no issue.

Ok, I too have had issues with taking Vit D. I'm going to try the liquid and see if that helps me out! :)
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any issues. I take the Jamieson chewable.

And for those saying standing out in the sun will help, not only is it not enough, but my doctor also recommends the supplement.

OP definitely try changing the brand.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any problems with supplements. Try a different brand. I take a vegan vitamin D supplement that has more natural ingredients for the base. I found out I had a deficiency shortly after I severely broke my ankle. If you have a deficiency, you should take supplements.