How to NOT look like I just lost 30lbs

Options
Ok, I'm a white or black kinda guy. Very little grey. So, when I decided to lose weight (6'2", 255lbs), I went at it hard. I've been going about 2 months on 1600 calories/day (though I struggle to actually eat more than 1300 most days) and I'm doing the C25K running app for cardio. The weight has been coming off very quickly, since I had it to lose....I'm down almost 30 lbs in 2 mo. Don't worry, all the 'easy weight' is gone and my lose/wk is down in the 2lb range now.

So, the problem is...now when I look in a mirror, I look like someone who's just lost 30 lbs and have no muscle mass. no shoulder muscle, toothpick arms, etc. While my goal weight is still 25lbs away, I don't want to come out of this looking like a starved stick. Soooo, what types of strength training would you recommend for my upper-body? Right now, with my cardio added in, i'm netting out at about 1000 calories/day and having to force myself to eat more. How would strength training affect that? do i need to dbl up on protein? Sorry for the noob questions...but as you can tell from my starting point...I'm much better at eating than losing :)

Replies

• ced1389
    ced1389 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Strength training will most definitely require more protein. Your goal weigh is around 200 pounds?? This is not from personal experience, as I am a 5'4" female, but my boyfriend is 6'2" 215 and built like a brick house. If you're planning to get to 200, you're going to look like a twig! He lifts 3 days on, 1 off, each week and ALWAYS has a protein shake directly after, about an hour before he will consume his actual meal (he works out after work).

However, he doesn't have a problem consuming a ton of calories a day (fast metabolism jerk!). So if you do, I push the protein shakes even more because they're high calorie but very good for you while lifting. Make your own rendition of them as well, with peanut butter, yogurt, fruit, etc. Find what you like. I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be a shake, I just figure if you're having trouble shoveling in 1300 calories, drinking them seems to be easier (for me).

Also, don't be so concerned with the number on the scale. Toning and/or bulking will make it a little harder to lose weight but you're gaining muscle!!! Sorry I can't help so much with the upper body work outs, as I said before... I'm a 5'4" female :)

Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm a white or black kinda guy. Very little grey. So, when I decided to lose weight (6'2", 255lbs), I went at it hard. I've been going about 2 months on 1600 calories/day (though I struggle to actually eat more than 1300 most days) and I'm doing the C25K running app for cardio. The weight has been coming off very quickly, since I had it to lose....I'm down almost 30 lbs in 2 mo. Don't worry, all the 'easy weight' is gone and my lose/wk is down in the 2lb range now.

So, the problem is...now when I look in a mirror, I look like someone who's just lost 30 lbs and have no muscle mass. no shoulder muscle, toothpick arms, etc. While my goal weight is still 25lbs away, I don't want to come out of this looking like a starved stick. Soooo, what types of strength training would you recommend for my upper-body? Right now, with my cardio added in, i'm netting out at about 1000 calories/day and having to force myself to eat more. How would strength training affect that? do i need to dbl up on protein? Sorry for the noob questions...but as you can tell from my starting point...I'm much better at eating than losing :)

You're a guy ......... and netting 1,000 calories a day! You ARE going to look like a "starved stick" when you're done ..... your body is feeding itself on existing muscle mass..... strength training won't help you if you don't FUEL your workouts.

With 25 pounds to lose your weight loss goal (healthy weight loss goal) should be 1 pound MAX.

Healthy Weight Loss .............
    Between 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb per week
    Between 15-25 lbs to lose 1.0 lb per week
    Less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs per week
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    double post .... oops!
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options

You're a guy ......... and netting 1,000 calories a day! You ARE going to look like a "starved stick" when you're done ..... your body is feeding itself on existing muscle mass..... strength training won't help you if you don't FUEL your workouts.

This is correct. When I read your net calories my eyes got a little bigger. Eat more!
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I'm no expert. Just saying.

I agree...add more protein & if you are having problems reaching your calories, protein shakes may be beneficial to you.

I have recently started strength training....I found some great apps on my iphone that show step by step instructions on different and affective exercises. I also searched and found some strength programs online.

Everything that I have read thusfar, states you should lift 3x a week and light cardio on your off days.
  • faithnna
    faithnna Posts: 42
    Options
    I'd suggest looking into a beginner weight lifting program like Stronglifts 5x5, great for building muscle & mass. Eating is key though. My BF is 6'1 and roughly 205lbs with only 15% bodyfat. You've gotta eat about twice as much as you're eating right now to actually put muscle on. If you open your diary, it would be easier to help so everyone can tell you replacements or additions to what you're currently eating. Avoid things that say fat free or low fat, eat real full fat food for those extra cals
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    EAT MORE FOOD

Lifiting isn't going to do anything for you when you're 6'4'', 225lbs and only net 1000 calories.

You went from eating too much to not eating enough, and they're equally bad for you. Figure out how many calories you need and make sure you eat them.