Diatomaceous earth?

Options

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but I can't wait to hear all about your experience with it. Please do keep us posted.

Seriously?? :huh:
  • ChristyMomx3
    ChristyMomx3 Posts: 176
    Options
    Blech that stuff is gross. We have a 50lb back of it for our dogs/rabbits/and cattle. It kills any bug with an exoskeleton. Great for killing cockroaches. If you get the food grade you can put it in your food as well.
    The advantages of this are several:

-regularizes bowel movements (this is the most frequently mentioned benefit about D.E.)
    -creates a healthier colon environment (a cleaner colon helps to keep away polyps, cancers,
    and ulcers)
    -gives increased energy and less need for sleep (with a cleaner colon, food and nutrients are
    better absorbed into the blood stream)
    -reduces inflammation of the intestinal tract (can prevent or clear up diarrhea and, rather
    intelligently, also cures the opposite condition of constipation)
    -helps to normalize hemorrhoidal tissues
    -alleviates lower back pain that is caused by a too-full colon

But the health benefits of D.E. only begin with colon detoxification. Other benefits of Diatomaceous Earth can be organized around three principles: over-all health; anti-aging; weight loss.

Over-All Health Benefits:
    -helps repair and maintain vital lung tissues and protects them from pollution
    -lowers high blood pressure
    -lowers high cholesterol
    -addresses osteoporosis?& joint problems
    -acts as a cough decreasing agent; tones the upper respiratory tract (nose, pharynx, larynx)
    and reduces swelling because of its positive action on the lymphatic system
    -helps to prevent many unwanted side-effects of menopause?
    -helps to prevent kidney stones
    -heals infections of the urinary tract; is a natural diuretic which can increase excretion of
    urine by 30 percent, thus flushing the water-excreting system and restoring normal
    function to these vital organs
    -effective with female discharge, abscesses and ulcers in the genital area and cervix, as well
    as mastitis (especially for breast feeding mothers).
    -acts as a supportive treatment for inflammation of the middle ear (effective in reducing
    swelling of the lymph nodes in the throat)
    -has anti-inflammatory disinfecting, absorbing and odor binding effects
    -normalizes circulation and regulates high blood pressure (hypertension)
    -decreases vertigo, headache, tinnitus (buzzing of the ears) and insomnia
    -promotes synthesis of elastase inhibitor by the pancreas, thus helping to normalize diabetes
    -strengthens blood vessels
    -helps to prevent Tuberculosis.
    -improves the elasticity of the joints; helps rheumatism
    -stimulates metabolism for higher energy levels

Weight Loss:

One of the benefits of silica is that it helps to destroy bad fats. Taken in the morning, it helps to curb appetite throughout the day.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/033367_silica_diatomaceous_earth.html#ixzz2Wh69F6CZ

However it looks like concrete powder and taste like dirt. so I'll pass
  • mumofzoe
    mumofzoe Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I dust my chickens with it to keep lice t bay
    Sue
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/033367_silica_diatomaceous_earth.html#ixzz2Wh69F6CZ

Wikipedia: Silicon dioxide, also known as silica (from the Latin silex), is a chemical compound that is an oxide of silicon with the chemical formula SiO2. It has been known since ancient times. Silica is most commonly found in nature as sand or quartz, as well as in the cell walls of diatoms (frustule).[2]

*where did I just put that Darwin pic???*
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You know... whenever I see this topic all I think is "mud pie, anyone?"
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    *Wonders silently whether it will make you poop out a seashell necklace*
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I put this stuff on my chickens when they get mites. I have to wear a respirator when I do it.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mkhaceM4bg1qz4rgp.gif

This made me LOL.

and I echo: no no no no.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I always get a kick out the outrageous claims made by some of these "alternative" medicine sites. Interestingly the source they quote is a book written by a psychoanalyst (different from a psychiatrist who is a real medical doctor specializing in mental health) who also runs a day spa.

Why is it none of these claims are ever supported by any form of scientific research? (a rhetorical question........you could process dog poop into capsules and, as long as it didn't kill anyone, make spurious claims about its health benefits as long as you included the famous disclaimer - These products have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose or treat any disease)
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I put this stuff on my chickens when they get mites. I have to wear a respirator when I do it.

Yep, when breathiong silica dust, important to wear a respirator/mask....

Can cause silicosis.....kind of like breathing in asbestos fibers.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Blech that stuff is gross. We have a 50lb back of it for our dogs/rabbits/and cattle. It kills any bug with an exoskeleton. Great for killing cockroaches. If you get the food grade you can put it in your food as well.
    The advantages of this are several:

-regularizes bowel movements (this is the most frequently mentioned benefit about D.E.)
    -creates a healthier colon environment (a cleaner colon helps to keep away polyps, cancers,
    and ulcers)
    -gives increased energy and less need for sleep (with a cleaner colon, food and nutrients are
    better absorbed into the blood stream)
    -reduces inflammation of the intestinal tract (can prevent or clear up diarrhea and, rather
    intelligently, also cures the opposite condition of constipation)
    -helps to normalize hemorrhoidal tissues
    -alleviates lower back pain that is caused by a too-full colon

But the health benefits of D.E. only begin with colon detoxification. Other benefits of Diatomaceous Earth can be organized around three principles: over-all health; anti-aging; weight loss.

Over-All Health Benefits:
    -helps repair and maintain vital lung tissues and protects them from pollution
    -lowers high blood pressure
    -lowers high cholesterol
    -addresses osteoporosis?& joint problems
    -acts as a cough decreasing agent; tones the upper respiratory tract (nose, pharynx, larynx)
    and reduces swelling because of its positive action on the lymphatic system
    -helps to prevent many unwanted side-effects of menopause?
    -helps to prevent kidney stones
    -heals infections of the urinary tract; is a natural diuretic which can increase excretion of
    urine by 30 percent, thus flushing the water-excreting system and restoring normal
    function to these vital organs
    -effective with female discharge, abscesses and ulcers in the genital area and cervix, as well
    as mastitis (especially for breast feeding mothers).
    -acts as a supportive treatment for inflammation of the middle ear (effective in reducing
    swelling of the lymph nodes in the throat)
    -has anti-inflammatory disinfecting, absorbing and odor binding effects
    -normalizes circulation and regulates high blood pressure (hypertension)
    -decreases vertigo, headache, tinnitus (buzzing of the ears) and insomnia
    -promotes synthesis of elastase inhibitor by the pancreas, thus helping to normalize diabetes
    -strengthens blood vessels
    -helps to prevent Tuberculosis.
    -improves the elasticity of the joints; helps rheumatism
    -stimulates metabolism for higher energy levels

Weight Loss:

One of the benefits of silica is that it helps to destroy bad fats. Taken in the morning, it helps to curb appetite throughout the day.

However it looks like concrete powder and taste like dirt. so I'll pass

These are all things I've read as well. Mainly, I've read about it's benefits on another board, where people are having very good results with regulating bowel function, increasing hair and nail strength, etc. I'm not saying it's for everyone, or even that it's been proven to be beneficial, but I have seen nothing indicating it's bad for you. Here's one article I read, that has some benefits listed, as well as some indications that the science isn't supported for other possible benefits. This one indicates that it's a good supplement for lowering cholesterol (my cholesterol's fine, so that's not why I'm interested in trying it). I think it's fairly unbiased.

http://drjulianhakim.com/diatomaceous-earth/

I have some intestinal and absorption issues. I'm willing to try it if there's a possibility of allowing me to better absorb nutrients. To each their own.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I second what someone else said, activated charcoal is great for tooth whitening.
    http://mollygalbraith.com/2013/03/my-favorite-all-natural-beauty-products-part-2/
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

I always get a kick out the outrageous claims made by some of these "alternative" medicine sites. Interestingly the source they quote is a book written by a psychoanalyst (different from a psychiatrist who is a real medical doctor specializing in mental health) who also runs a day spa.

Why is it none of these claims are ever supported by any form of scientific research? (a rhetorical question........you could process dog poop into capsules and, as long as it didn't kill anyone, make spurious claims about its health benefits as long as you included the famous disclaimer - These products have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose or treat any disease)

you're wasting your time. there is a never-ending supply of uninformed and gullible people. even if you convince the ones in this thread today, next week there will be another thread about the same thing with a new batch of uninformed and gullible people. if they want to eat crushed up rocks or ground up rusty nails or little pieces of glass... let them. there are too many people on the planet anyway. we no longer live in an age of scientific reason and logic and critical thinking. we now live in an age of wishful thinking and tinfoil hats and snakeoil salesmen with websites. i'd actually be in favor of a worldwide zombie apocalypse at this point. SMH.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    MGTYSJ5.gif
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    darwin.jpg

LOL - quote of the week!
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    SEE A DOCTOR!!!!

This products kills bugs by abrading their exoskeletons so that they dehydrate, dry up and die. Is there some dependable science stating that consuming the equivalent of moving sandpaper is guaranteed not to cause damage to your insides. I certainly wouldn't want to risk consuming any quantity of an abrasive substance without being 100% sure that it was safe. If the abrasive thing is OK then I don't think there is much else in it that would harm you but would definitely be best to check. Also are there more well known alternatives that may give you the result you are looking for.

The last thing you want is to be one of those people who found out too late that their favourite remedy had a downside!!
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    As far as I am aware it used to be used to clean ones teeth. I think that about sums up its cleansing properties.

Yeah... baking soda/salt will do the same thing, just like any mild abrasive.

Edit: You know, reading the "studies" of it... I'm curious if anyone has ever heard the expression "to good to be true" and if any of these "studies" have actual scientific backing beyond someone saying, "We Scienced It For REALS!"
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    All I'm going to say it actually "detoxes" is aflatoxin (and maybe fumonisin, though I'd still have my doubts), but edible bentonites actually have some science behind them as enterosorbents.

Google "aflatoxin" and "entersorbent" and you'll pull up some actual science.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    All I'm going to say it actually "detoxes" is aflatoxin (and maybe fumonisin, though I'd still have my doubts), but edible bentonites actually have some science behind them as enterosorbents.

Google "aflatoxin" and "entersorbent" and you'll pull up some actual science.

Isn't kaolin a better enterosorbent for aflatoxin?
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    *Wonders silently whether it will make you poop out a seashell necklace*

:laugh:!!!!!