Should I start using protein shakes

Hi, I'm wondering if I need to start drinking protein shakes. I do very little weight training mainly cardio with a few reps with resistance bands and some abdominal workouts. I'm am making progress however I'm wondering if I would benefit from drinking protein shakes?

Thanks

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    I think the average person can get all the nutrients they need in a balanced diet. Adding a protein shake as part of that diet won't hurt, but it isn' going to drastically improve anything.

IMO.
  • lurcstet
    lurcstet Posts: 77
    Try it, add a shake after a work out, they will help with recovery, but beware they also add calories and I also agree that you should also ensure your diet is giid with quality clean protein.

But just go for a basic whey powder. Avoid anything to complex with creatine in.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    If you cannot meet your daily protein goals, then a protein shake can help. However, if you are meeting your daily requirements, there is nothing special about a protein shake. I don't even consider it a supplement. It's food in a powder form, with some carbs and fats as well (carb and fat amounts will vary depending on the quality of the protein). It can be a faster, healthier, less expensive food option for you as well, but it isn't a food option that is necessary to achieve any goals. I drink protein shakes, but that's only because I work out at night, and I don't feel like coming home and cooking a meal. Whenever I can, I prefer to get my calories and macronutrients from whole food sources (something about chewing food vs drinking it appeals to me lol).

However, if you do have room in your diet, or you want to swap out a protein source food for a protein shake, my recommendation is to choose one that has a high protein to serving size and amount ratio. Some of the protein powders on the market are more like carb and fat powders with protein thrown in, or protein with a bunch of fillers. Overall, make sure the protein fits your overall caloric and macro goals.