New to working out!!

Options
Hello all, hope everyone is well. I wanted to post and see if anyone out there could give me advice about my heart rate. I am very heavy and I want to lose weight. I am 275lbs. When I workout my heart rate is 160 to 170. When it is that high my stomache starts to hurt and it feels as though I an going to get sick. This is not good for me becasue I would like to finish the workout and be able to lose this weight however the pain becomes worse as I continue. I have to stop and then if I go back to doing the workout the pain comes back. I have tried eating before or after the workout does anyone have any advice to give??? I want to push my body so that I can drop the pounds and I have been told that to do that I would have to keep my heart rate up. Is that correct???

Replies

• atombud
    atombud Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started out in May around 260 pounds myself. For the first 2 months all I did was walk, no running just walking keeping my heart rate at the 120 to 130 range. Started of at about 30 minutes and as time went increased my walking time. The weight dropped at the 2 - 3 pounds per week. Now that my weight is around 221 and I have just recently started to add a little running and strength exercise. Good luck and try not to overdo it.
  • Dawn_2013
    Dawn_2013 Posts: 170
    Options
    You need to see a doctor. Exercise is important, and yes, sometimes you can feel like you will throw up, but not usually! :noway:

A doctor can asess your physical condition and tell you how to proceed, it is not worh it to follow the advice of us...we aren't doctors! But I am sure they will suggest exercise...and it may suck at firsl...does for me and I am only 35 lbs overweight. It gets better though and eventually you may even like it!
  • Van3ssa_2468
    Van3ssa_2468 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You need to see a doctor.

I agree, consult with your doctor before starting your exercise routine
  • mariposadedios
    Options
    I also agree that you should probably see a doctor for any recommendations and guidelines to keep you safe.

Also, I think it is great that you are wanting to push yourself - that is great you have the drive, but you have to build up to it slowly as atombud said. It's actually good at first to keep yourself in the 120-130 range, that is more toward the fat burn zone and will also help improve your cardiovascular system. Any higher heart rate isn't as effective at burning fat, you still burn calories but they aren't as specifically from fat, and it is harder on your heart. As you lose weight and have better cardiovascular health, you are going to have to push harder to increase your heart rate. It's okay to start slow, I know you are anxious to get going, but your safety is the most important, and it is important to know which heart rate zone is best for you.

I've had some health issues and get nervous when I exercise, I know that it is medically safe for me to do exercises but I am not sure how much is too much, so I am seeing a trainer for now to help me learn.

Good luck and I hope you can keep your drive up and keep yourself safe after talking with your doctor!
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I agree with not pushing yourself. You can find heartrate calculators online that will tell you what your "fat burning" zone is. For me (and I weigh about 240) it's 150 and below. You don't have to stay in the 160-170 range to lose weight. I rarely get up that high during a workout and I'm down about 20 lbs in 7 weeks. Good luck!
  • pxgabriel
    Options
    My suggestion is to take it slow so you don't hurt yourself.