need friends with high blood pressure

Options
I am looking for others with high blood pressure to add for support. I am 25 and have stage 2 hypertension. I hope losing weight can get me off meds or reduce my dose but i also know that Kay not be possible as there appears to be no cause for it unless its ky weight. I just started taking atenolol because I was not liking the side effects of linsinopril and my dose kept having to be upped on it so I hope this works better. I also hope it doesn't inhibit my weightloss efforts as I have lost nothing since I started linsinopril a year ago.

Replies

• kats26eyes
    kats26eyes Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi -

I have BP as well, but it hasn't been bad enough for medication yet. What have your numbers been like? Mine have always been around 120/90. It's always that bottom number. I have found caffeine plays a big part of my diastolic number being high. Also keeping a low sodium diet is a big start to things if you haven't already tried doing that. Do you have family history of high BP? I know I do and that is something that my doctors or keeping in mind.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. Just stay positive and keep exercising and a low sodium diet.
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I also have high BP. Mine runs in the family and I have come to the conclusion that I will be on BP meds for the rest of my life since it is hereditary. I was put on meds when I was in my late 20's. At my worst my BP was 196 over 120 and my Dr was wondering why I wasn't dead yet. Now I run about 130 over 94 which is high for most people but normal for me. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am working toward getting off meds too. The beta blocker really helps my heart from hitting afib, so that will probably not go away completely. I also take a low dose asprin(beat warfrin for me) and Lisiniprol twice a day. I have dropped 30+ lbs since Christmas. I am a walker and a toner. I can do more as I loose weight and tone muscles. Anything is possible, start slow and build up.
  • homegurl
    homegurl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started taking BP meds lisinopril and armour thyroid med about 6 weeks ago along with exercising. BP was running 180/104. Got it to come down some. Been watching my sodium and cutting back on amount of food I eat. Lost 5 pounds so far :)
    I just would like for BP to get to a normal level, I have been told it may take a few months to get it where it needs to be. I see where one person was taking lisinopril but didn't like the side effects. What kind of side effects were you having. I try to walk between 2 and 3 miles most days sometimes I get 4 miles in.
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    I do not have high blood pressure, but I am a pharmacist. There is nothing about lisinopril that hinders weight loss. My best advice for dealing with high blood pressure:

1. Take your medication. On time. Every time. Get your refills on time and do not go without your medication.

2. Regularly monitor your blood pressure and share your log with you doctor.

3. Reduce salt consumption. This means limiting processed and packaged foods as well as fast food and most restaurant food and throwing away your salt shaker.

4.Increase your potassium consumption. Try to eat foods high in potassium.

5. Stay hydrated. With water.

6. Limit caffeine. Do not take any stimulating fat burners or decongestants. These drive up blood pressure.

7.Limit alcohol.

8. Get regular exercise.

9.Limit stress.

10. If you smoke at all, QUIT!

Luckily, all these also help with weight loss. Losing just a small amount of weight can really impact blood pressure. Hope your BP gets under control soon. Best wishes!
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've had HBP since I was 15. Friend me if you'd like :smile:
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have high blood pressure! It's making my life miserable right now! arghhhhhhhh! Friend me if you like!:sad:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Hi, at 22 mine's normal now but when I was 16/17 it was quite high, especially for my age. Average was around 140/90ish, I used to test at home by myself and bring a weeks readings in every 6 months to get the average. Reason being that at the doctor's it would be even higher (150/100+) Was never put on medication, they just kept an eye on it to check it wasn't increasing.

I never had a known cause for it either. They did several tests but they couldn't find anything. Dr seemed convinced it wasn't lifestyle factors (lack of exercise) considering my age and that I was a normal weight (5'8, 135ish)

Started exercising, it actually came down. Loved being right about that! Now it's about 115/70. Be confident that it'll improve, even if you have to stay on meds, it won't do your BP any harm to be a healthier weight :smile:
  • EPierce8
    EPierce8 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I went to the Allergy doctor yesterday and was allergy tested. I am allergic to basically all of outside lol and cats and dogs. My blood pressure was very high when they checked it. 170/103 and I told them I struggle with anxiety as well as being overweight and I have white coat syndrome. It turns out that I have been light headed lately and stress a lot. It all makes since now that I have high blood pressure and I need to do something about it. I have an appointment with my family doctor in a few weeks and they will also start me on allergy shots. My question is does stress cause blood pressure to rise and does it cause it to stay high? I am just nervous about going to the doctor and I want to know what to expect from my appointment. I appreciate what anyone has to add. Thanks.