Ideas?

Options
Hey guys, so here's the deal.

One of my biggest issues that makes my diet hard is that when I get stressed, I binge-eat. A LOT. And that can fare very badly for me =/

So, I was wondering if anyone had ideas for habits/vices to take up that could help me transition out of this?

For one, I already game, but unfortunately, I can't do that at work. Don't worry, I never eat while gaming, unless it's a pre-determined dinner portion.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any help that you guys have. Thanks a bunch! (^_^)d

Replies

• ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    when i get stressed i work out now, the endorphins released in a good twenty min burst on the elliptical that's faster than normal, since i'm ususally annoyed ( i end up pushing faster) help calm me a lot faster than a piece of chocolate will.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It's best if you can find out what your trigger foods are and avoid them at all costs. For me, it's breads. If I allow myself one roll, I'll end up eat 3, 4 or more! If I eat a turkey burger on a roll, I crave more bread, so I end up eating it without a roll. So, I have pretty much nixed bread from my diet altogether.

Try to fill up on denser foods like proteins and complex carbs. Review those times when you have binged- what triggered them? Were you really hungry or mostly bored or eating out of habit? Make small changes you can live with, remembering that it takes about 3 weeks to break/create a new habit.

Good Luck!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Running does it for me. I just posted about this recently. It was a lot of effort to go through the whole Couch to 5k process and build up the ability to run, but I feel like having that ability in my bag of tricks is completely priceless.

I've had an incredible amount of job stress recently, and last week had to have a very difficult conversation with my boss. I was a wreck the entire day, and all I could think about was getting home and cracking a beer. A year ago, I would have done just that, and probably added half a bag of chips too. Instead, I came home and ran my little heart out. I'm not fast, and in this heat I take walk breaks, but that three miles made all the difference in the world to me. I felt great by the time I got home, stretched, and showered. It was the perfect way to separate who I am as an individual from a crappy day at work. By the time I came my boyfriend came home, I was actually cheerful. And then we cracked that beer together, and it tasted better than it would have without the run. And I wasn't relying on it to solve some problem it never could.

These days, running is not my primary form of exercise, but I plan to always keep my ability to do it up, because I never know when I'm going to have another day I need it so badly!
  • timewiz13
    timewiz13 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys!

Here's the thing. I want to do all those workout ideas a lot, but I'm at work, and I'm at a computer for 95% of my day.

With that being noted, are there any ideas for things I can do? It doesn't have to be a workout, but a good distraction from eating would be awesome!
  • lizbeth926
    lizbeth926 Posts: 43
    Options
    I too sit at a computer for a majority of my day. When frustrated, I now go for a walk instead of grabbing a snack. Fresh air and getting away from the issues for a while works for me.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Okay, a couple more idea.

1.) I sip water all day at work. That keeps me from snacking. A good, old fashioned tea break in the afternoon also helps me too, on days when I feel my energy waning.

2.) Might sound a little hokey, but I've used meditation at my desk during particularly stressful moments. Here's one from a yoga dvd series I like. It appears on 'Fat Free Yoga: Lose Weight and Feel Great' from RaviAna (http://www.raviana.com/):

Breath Meditation with Hands Like a Teapot, 3.5 minutes
    For this breath exercise, you will wrap your right hand around your left fist, placing your thumbs next to each other. You then slowly breathe in through your nose and breathe out through puckered lips, concentrating the breath out on the small space that is formed between your thumbs. This meditation is supposed to be calming and to help with anxiety.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm a binge eater, not so much a stress eater anymore, but stress can trigger binges.

I used to keep sugar free gum around....until I'd start chew-binging on packs of the stuff a day.

Now I have a hot-pot at my desk to heat water. I drink a lot of hot tea now (no sugar). Keeps me busy and doing the hand to mouth movement....so it's kind of psycological for me. Also, something calming about heating up water and smelling the tea when the hot waterhits it.

I will also get up and take a lap around the cubicals, usually carrying a piece of paper to make it look like I'm on a mission.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Meditation: If you don't want to do the face and hand positions for the meditation suggested above, at least close your eyes and take some deep calming breaths. Shake it out, maybe even do some stretches - they're good for you.

Move: Get up and walk around a bit, or better yet, go up and down stairs a few times - if that doesn't burn off the nervous energy, I don't know what will! Plus it gets you away from your desk. Sitting too long is not good for us and we need to get up and move around as often as we can. If you think your manager will have a problem with you leaving your desk several times a day, give them a heads up that you'll be spreading your breaks out throughout the day if that's cool with them. Instead of two 15 minutes breaks, take six 5 minute breaks. Spread your printing out throughout the day and get up as soon as you hit print instead of going to get all of it once a day. If you have things you file, get up and file them as soon as you're done, don't let that filing pile up anymore.

Can you listen to music? There are a few days every month where I have to really focus on the task at hand to meet deadlines and I usually put on headphones in order to tune everything out. My personal favorite is alt metal (A Perfect Circle, Disturbed, etc) - something about it soothes me.
  • timewiz13
    Options
    Wow! You guys are so awesome :D These are all excellent ideas!

I'm going to definitely try the walking around idea. I've tried meditating before, but unfortunately, I just haven't been able to stick with that. I just don't think it's meant for me =/

I've never really been much of a tea fan! Maybe I'll try iced tea? Hmm. I'll keep that in mind.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Hi timewiz.... I second the ideas about walking, breathing, and short meditation. Even if you think meditation isn't for you, it might calm your body down.

When I'm stressed at work, sometimes I watch these favorite videos on youtube. Skip the annoying ads in the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T4vc1QqiPM (driving on a road by the sea in Norway)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjciQMz_irU (ocean waves)

I keep a photo of some spiral galaxies on my desk, plus a rock someone gave me. Nature soothes me, obviously. You might put something on your desk that connects you to calm feelings. Or you might buy a piece of jewelry or have something made that has special meaning to you... with a saying on it, or an object that reminds you of better things.

Also, I bought a 32 oz sport bottle and keep it full of water with lemon slices. I drink that all day and find it's a big help.

You might try aversion therapy. Find a photo of your favorite binge food (pizza, for example) and tape it side by side with a photo of a flat, blubbery stomach and rear end, because that's what will happen if you binge. If you look at the two photos when you feel the urge to binge on that food, eventually your psyche will connect the fat body with that food.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

Can you listen to music? There are a few days every month where I have to really focus on the task at hand to meet deadlines and I usually put on headphones in order to tune everything out. My personal favorite is alt metal (A Perfect Circle, Disturbed, etc) - something about it soothes me.

I do this, too! I went back to college to work on another degree. When it's time to get really, really serious and write a paper or study for a test, I put on a recording of tree frogs (spring peepers) from a marsh in New England. Sounds goofy when I read it, but it's a beautiful, calming sound.
  • timewiz13
    Options
    Nice! I like these ideas too! :D

Thank you so much! =)

I think I'll be able to get over this binge eating much faster than I'd hoped! :D
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Good luck :)

But controlling binging is a constant battle, and requires constant vigillance.

I'm down from a couple of times a week to maybe once a month.

Lots of different teas.....red tea/rooibos (republic of tea brand is my fav) is really good. The vanilla has a naturally slight sweet taste.
  • lougalan
    lougalan Posts: 10
    Options
    I sit at a desk so I get up and walk around the building. The fresh air does me good and I just walk away from the stress. Try and get someone to walk with you. Talk about something fun, movies, music or talk about why you're walking, vent your stress. Hope this helps.
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I work all day at a desk too and sometimes I just can't step away.

When I am stressed I like crunchy food--so I keep baby carrots or celery handy. I find the hard chewing helps bleed off some tension. Or chew ice.

Also I keep lavender spray handy..it is said to be calming.

Lastly I do a 10 min. stretching video or walk thru a karate kata a few times--I can do this while I listen to a conf. call or while I keep an eye on my monitor. The point isn't really to complete the physical exercise--it is to break my mental focus--I can only really think of one thing at once so if I am thinking about my body I can calm down the part of my brain that wants to freak out and binge eat.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    When I am stressed I run!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I bring my lunch in to work, pick out healthy things, salads, string cheese, nuts, veggies, fruit, and well basically whatever you want. Just make sure to count it all. Here is the kicker... I leave my money in the car (yes its hidden) then I can't get a snack out of the machine or decide to throw caution into the wind and get a large fry and big mac from McDonalds... Its been working!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I don't work in an office, so I don't really have the same experience as you. But my rule at home is that no food is allowed near the computer. It makes it difficult to just nosh on meaningless munchies, I actually have to get up and prepare a plate and eat it at the table. It sort of deters some of the inclination to snack. Also, I'm not a stress eater...I'm a boredom eater. A lot of times I find myself walking into the kitchen and standing at the fridge, not even knowing how I got there!! But, taking myself out of that physical environment, out of that room where I felt the urge, will sometime interrupt that thought process. Even just going into another room and futzing around with some paperwork or straightening pictures or looking out the window or just anything. Put something in between your thought of opening the fridge and actually getting to the fridge, place an obstacle there to break the idea apart. It works quite well for me. Um, when I remember to do it, lol.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Iced herbal tea with lemon - unsweetened or with stevia
    guzzle a glass of water
    Sugar-free gum chew it until your jaws hurt & blow lots of bubbles (I like Extra)
    tictacs - suck on them, don't chew
    Go for a quick walk

ETA: Oh and chew/suck on ice!