any tips on toning glutes?

Options
besides squats and lunges? I feel like with my squats my legs have been getting really toned . The problem is I don't see much difference in my glutes. I am trying to tone my whole body but I was just wondering if anyone had any other recommendations. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Well if you do machines the leg press is awesome, my favorite for glutes,

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/babyboom20.htm
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/butt-workout-exercises-sculpt-better-backside

these are all good
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Then you're not squatting deeply enough. Fix your form and your glutes will follow.
  • msqueenofpain
    msqueenofpain Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    awesome! thank you
  • msqueenofpain
    Options
    how low should i go? i've read different opinions online . It can get confusing.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    how low should i go? i've read different opinions online . It can get confusing.

At least deep enough so that the top of your thighs are parallel to the ground. If you go lower you will get a bit more glute engagement and it will also hit your inner thighs. I warm up with some body weight squats, then with an empty bar, and then start my warm up sets. That routine has made all the difference in my form and progress.

I sometimes sound like I'm selling books but check out Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength for help. He also has videos on Youtube but his step-by-step instructions in this book are quite good.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Deep squats and deadlifts have been helping my booty.
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    i find that when i'm doing my squats ATG I can feel the glute muscles engaging on my way up. stopping anywhere above parallel i feel nothing.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Squats (hip crease below knee) & deadlifts... now go.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength for help. He also has videos on Youtube but his step-by-step instructions in this book are quite good.

Rippetoe changed my squat form forever (and saved my back)! highly recommended.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    You could also try kick backs ( on all fours) or stability ball pull ins....
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    The lower I go, the more I feel it in my butt and the inner thighs. Also the leg press machine with your toes pointed out works the glutes. I have also started a recent love affair with cable kick backs.
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    besides squats and lunges? I feel like with my squats my legs have been getting really toned . The problem is I don't see much difference in my glutes. I am trying to tone my whole body but I was just wondering if anyone had any other recommendations. :flowerforyou:

If you're squatting, and not seeing much difference in your glutes, then you aren't going low enough. The next time you squat, record yourself with your phone and don't come back up until the backs of your thighs above the knee touch the backs of your calves below the knee. Two other possible factors could be that your stance is too narrow, or that you're "butt-winking". "Butt-winking" is a funny term for dipping your lower back at the bottom of your squat. Make sure (again, with video) that you keep your core engaged, and that your back is straight and that the lower back doesn't "swing" down at the end.

Lastly, SQUEEZE YOUR GLUTES! Getting that mind-muscle connection going will help you to work the muscle you're targeting!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    besides improving your squats and lunges as suggested above, as well as some yoga-type moves I can't describe....sprints...and let me tell you how to do a sprint to help your *kitten* (among other parts).

you go outside. you go as fast as you can for 15ish seconds, pushing from your *kitten*. A sprint is not running. You engage your *kitten* when you sprint. I promise you that you will know what it means to "push from your *kitten*" once you've done it. The reason each sprint is about 15ish seconds because if you do it right and go all out, you're not going to be able to go much longer. you can't do this on a treadmill. treadmills don't go fast enough (and, if they did, you'd have a hard time maxing out without killing yourself at the end trying to adjust the speed down or jump off to the side).

anyway, if you did the sprint correctly, your HR should jump into the 165-175 range. After the sprint, rest until your HR drops below 130. Then do another all out sprint. Do 6-12 of these each training session....no more than 3x per week (and not on consecutive days).

make sure you stretch your hips, along with your calves, hammys and quads before sprinting.
  • crashalot2
    crashalot2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    you need to be pressing through your heels. Don't let your heels lift. Almost like you are sitting in a chair. You can also vary the width and angle of your feet to change the way it affects your legs.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Apart from squats, lunges and deadlifts the best glute exercises are weighted hip bridges or hip thrusters. Trust me you'll feel these, they really isolate the glutes in a different way
  • calbadger
    calbadger Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Grand Plie Squats. When I used to do light mountain climbing, I found them amazing.

http://exercise.about.com/od/lowerbodyworkouts/ss/pliesquatball_2.htm

Also, many gyms have a glute machine. I use one as part of my regular workout.
  • melmobs1
    melmobs1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had the same Problem, thanks for the help!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    use a roman chair, lie face down and let your upper body drop, now lift yourself focusing on using(squeezing for lack of a better description) your glutes to lift yourself to a parallel position.
  • msqueenofpain
    Options
    WOW ! GREAT FEEDBACK FROM EVERYONE ! I am excited to work out now, i will be at the gym in less than an hour and plan to take everyones advise. :happy:
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    squats *kitten* to grass