Any success stories from 250+ and barely able to move

Options
hisgirl86
hisgirl86 Posts: 142 Member
to being a good BMI and have good mobility and flexibility? I want to hear them!

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Not quite yet, but already the improvement has been amazing. 250+ lbs and 52 yo, I was in really bad shape. Now, at 217 lbs, I can't believe I'm over halfway through C25k now! My mobility and flexibility is so much better! I'm seriously looking at exercise programs I never would have believed that I could still tackle despite my age. I'm starting to believe that I'm not as "old" as I thought.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I never had mobility problems but i was over 250 (started at 277). Today i'm 156 and feel so much better.
  • cwannabee
    cwannabee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I started at 245 (highest ever was 260). I wouldn't say I was "barely able to move" but I definitly did not have the endurance, stamina, and flexibility that I do now. I'm almost 2 years in and I'm currently at 176lbs (5'7").

As you can tell the weight didn't come off overnight, but with persistance little by little it has. I never did any diets or ate special foods. I just did small tweeks a little at a time. The goal being any changes I made had to be something I was willing to live with for the rest of my life.

I started out by doing the couch to 5K running program. That got me moving 3 days a week and I was wiped out after each 30 min run/walk. By the end of the 9 week program I could run for 25 minutes straight (at about a 15 min/mile pace).

Fast forward to now...I just did my first half marathon (13.1 miles) a month ago and did it at an 11 min/mile pace. I did the Insanity workout back in January. I and lighter and stronger than I've ever been at any other point in my life and I love it. I exercise 6 days/week. Generally I run 3 or 4 days and do some sort of strength training DVD workout 2 or 3 days. I've come a loooong way. I can do push-ups and sit-ups and I've almost mastered a handstand (just to say I can do one)

As for BMI I went from dancing with the 'morbidly obese' catergory to 'overweight' I need to drop another 10lbs or so to hit 'normal' but BMI doesn't account for muscle mass to well so I'm not terribly concerned with it currently

20964725_9112.jpg
  • hisgirl86
    hisgirl86 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You guys are all very inspiring! Thank you for the posts, and great job to all of youns! Congrats on how far you guys have come :)
  • oceanmistcali
    oceanmistcali Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When I began my weight loss journey 3 years ago my BMI was 42.9% I started at 250 pounds. I am currently 176 pounds and my BMI is 30.5% obese.

I have a bit before reaching overweight on the body mass index
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Well three years ago I was close to 300, needed neck surgery, and working 24/7 a year later I got laidoff stayed at 287, went to work again started first of this year found MFP down to 230 now feel great...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I could barely stand for 30 seconds at a stretch let alone trying to walk.... Had a computer chair I rip the back off of and used it to roll myself to the bathroom and other rooms... That was a few pounds ago.... I am now 250 and am in maintenance for the past 8 months......
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh 278lbs, I'm down to the 150's now, only 12 lbs away from my goal :drinker:. I would just sit around,and if I walked, it was very slowly, but now I'm able to be extremely active with my kids and my own workouts. :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I started at 300+ and wasn't unable to move, but standing for long periods hurt my back, walking/doing chores hurt my back some days. Walking a mile took all I had and 24 minutes!

Standing for long periods is not an issue anymore.

Now at approx. 255lbs I just ran a mile straight (first EVER!) I'm starting week 5 of c25k on Friday.

I can walk a 5k (3.1 miles) in about 47 minutes. I can even walk distances up to 4-5 miles easily.

ETA: I can also kick above my waist and reach out and touch my toe when I do it now too!

I have 100 times the energy that I did before. I do more work around the house/small farm and feel great about it!

Good luck!!!! (add me if you want.)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I could barely stand for 30 seconds at a stretch let alone trying to walk.... Had a computer chair I rip the back off of and used it to roll myself to the bathroom and other rooms... That was a few pounds ago.... I am now 250 and am in maintenance for the past 8 months......

^ "a few"

LOL.

You win Ed.
  • katelynal
    katelynal Posts: 114
    Options
    I'm not there yet, but I can definitely tell the difference already. I play doubles tennis in competition league tennis (I'm 54) and I am already moving around the court much more easily even at this weight. My feet are thanking me at the end of the day also and the heat is not affecting me as much.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options

My dude! I just peeped your profile. Very, very Inspiring!

**Anyone who hasn't checked out his profile...do yourself a favor, check it out, feel inspired, get motivated, and get to work! :)

As for myself, I got up to 400 lbs after an injury in which I ruptured my Achilles. It's been a long road but I'm at 257 lbs now and dropping. Feels good to run again, to stretch, to work outside, etc. Good luck to you, OP (and everyone else). You can do it. :)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I am far from a success story but I have lost 50 lbs and started at 280 lbs. When I started I used to be breathless and gasping for air after walking 10 steps up to my apartment. I can now easily climb 7 story buildings back and forth, 4 times. Persistence. Just stay persistence. It won't take a few days and it won't be nearly as easy as you'd wish but just stay persistent. I promise you, you will see good results and feel good about yourself! :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    My all-time high was slightly over 300 and only when I was at that point did I have trouble moving and huffing/puffing on stairs etc. When I got down to the 270 range it was much, much easier to do everything I was used to doing. For years my weight has fluctuated between 260-275. Now I'm at 239 - still a little way to go toward my first goal of 220, and looking at an eventual goal around 180-190 - but I feel better than I have since my teens. It is weird how much more graceful I feel and how I feel as though I fit better into my surroundings. It does seem overwhelming when you are bigger than you've ever been and having some trouble getting around, but for me (I got down to 264 before I found MFP) the key was exercising EVERY DAY at least a tiny walk around the block, and it gets much easier.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    YES. At my highest weight, I was active but my circulation must have been totally screwed up because I felt like I constantly had a pinched nerve in my back.

Make small changes in your lifestyle, and you'll be to your goal in no time. I still have 20lbs or so until my ultimate goal, but every lb I lose is a small victory! Good luck :)
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was at 405 pounds at my heaviest back in Feb. 2012. Even though was I very obese, I still found time to walk almost on a daily basis. I started just increasing my distance with walking when I started my weight loss journey. Walking is a great exercise for weight loss. Swimming is also a good exercise that is low impact.
  • wheelerx50
    wheelerx50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was around 300 lbs and currently am at about 195 or so and don;t really have any flexibility / mobility issues
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!

When I started here, I was 250 lbs and my doctor had just diagnosed me with an under active thyroid, pcos, and diabetes. I also have moderate neuropathy in my legs (which was why I went to the doctor to begin with). Nearly 2 years later, I am happy and healthy. Aside from my weight loss, I now work at the gym I lost my weight in teaching kids' fitness classes. Being active is a part of my every day life.

I know it's hard as hell and sucks in the beginning, but keep going. It will eventually become habit.
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I was 253lbs, sore joints all the time, felt like an old lady and I'm only 34years old. Everything was hard!
    I have lost 40lbs, workout 4-5 times a week (walk daily) and I feel like I have a new life!
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    My highest weight was 285 and right now I'm at 217. I'm a work in progress, but I am def able to move around better and not get so winded. It is possible to get to a healthy weight no matter what the starting weight is. You can do it!! Feel free to add me!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!