ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
I hear it a lot:

There isn't enough time in the day to exercise and eat right
I hate exercise and would rather watch paint dry
It's hard to lose weight and I'd rather have it easy
I've done fine so far even though I could lose a few pounds
I've done everything I can (not really) to lose weight

Etc. etc.

Then an event/incident happens that changes it all. Loss of a loved one to obesity. Diagnosis of diabetes. Knee replacement for worn out joints due to weight. Diagnosis of heart disease.

Then those excuses disappear because it's no longer about anything but ensuring health and life.

Just to let you know if you're still thinking about it:
The event/incident DOESN'T have to happen. Then only thing you need is the conviction that it IS about health and life.

Carry on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    My "turning point event" was when I decided to change. Some people need to realize that the "big" events that you mentioned aren't the only ones that are needed. All you need to do is decide to make the change and do it.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I agree, there's this girl I work with that always, "my feet hurt and my Dr says it's cause I'm fat" she weights 190 and is 5 foot 2. She is always saying, "I don't have time, me and (kids) fight over the wii so I never get to exercise" lol.. that's the line I get. It irritates the crap outta me!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I agree, there's this girl I work with that always, "my feet hurt and my Dr says it's cause I'm fat" she weights 190 and is 5 foot 2. She is always saying, "I don't have time, me and (kids) fight over the wii so I never get to exercise" lol.. that's the line I get. It irritates the crap outta me!
    0ae98896f3641b2c1d14007a048ceb18.jpg
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    My aha moment was my grandma confronting me and asking me to lose weight so I don't end up like my mom with type 2 diabetes.

I also had to grow up and realize that blaming a lack of money, or time, or anything was just not realistic. There are people with less money and time than me that can do this.

Educating myself on proper nutrition, calorie intake and exercise helped solidify the change, too. I'm not starving and I feel so much better. :)
  • JessieMaeH82
    JessieMaeH82 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My turning point was weighing the most I've ever weighed and actually seeing myself as fat for the first time............ In a picture, with my boyfriend. Awwwful! I am getting on track-with his help!
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Completely agree - I get it all time - "well you're naturally skinny"

Oh really? No one told me that when I was 167 at 5'5. I watch what I eat, and try to exercise best I can with my medical issues. If I can lose weight, you can lose weight. And I'm not being lazy, I have constant pain no matter what, but I still push through to get some exercise in, and the more I do the better I start feeling, then the more I can do!
  • SafiyaBWG
    SafiyaBWG Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My turning point was when I had to wear my mom's clothes 'cause nothing in my wardrobe would fit me anymore. That hurt my pride, and definitely changed the way I saw myself !
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Completely agree - I get it all time - "well you're naturally skinny"

Oh really? No one told me that when I was 167 at 5'5. I watch what I eat, and try to exercise best I can with my medical issues. If I can lose weight, you can lose weight. And I'm not being lazy, I have constant pain no matter what, but I still push through to get some exercise in, and the more I do the better I start feeling, then the more I can do!

I get that a lot too. There was one time when a woman at an event was trying to get me to eat several red velvet cupcakes so she wouldn't have to bring them home and I told her that one was my limit. Her response was something like, "but you're young and can afford to eat them now. I'm old and they'll all turn straight into fat." I didn't tell her that I used to be 160 pounds at 5'3". I just walked away.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    All of the previous reasons mentioned and a few more of my own...but my biggest change was reframing HOW I saw exercise and proper nutrition. I had to stop looking at it from a vanity standpoint and start looking at it from a self-care point of view. Once I started acting like exercise was as much a part of my daily routine as brushing my teeth (I wouldn't go a day w/o that...GROSS!) than my lifestyle changed. Once my lifestyle changed, other changes came about as well...I started liking who I was, I began loving how I felt, my body actually craved HEALTHY foods, and I began to see a lot more joy in this life. It's a domino effect :) All humans are capable of greatness; I just wish more people could find that place in themselves. The BEST compliment I have ever gotten is someone else telling me, "You are an inspiration to me" or "you are the reason I started XYZ"
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with this. My turning point was spending my Christmas in the hospital for my 4th stay of the year. Don't recommend it to anyone. Every pound I lose improves my heart and lungs!
  • nessa2BFit
    nessa2BFit Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i am glad it was not a big event that happened to cause my turning point. I still honestly don't know what was different this time over all the other times over the years. But i am glad i made the life changes i needed to. But looking back i know i made every excuse there was and now know that was exactly what they were excuses!!!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    For me it was a picture, me and my family at Christmas. I was big, my wife was big and my oldest son is starting to get there. I decided that I needed to change for me. It turns out that my wife was ready also, so we are doing it together in a slow, well informed way. I can only hope that my son will see what we are doing and make a change for himself also. Being fat sucks, and its no ones fault but mine.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    It was a photo for me, it really doesn't lie and hit me with the reality of how much weight I have gained.
  • Cryck84
    Cryck84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had griped about being "dumpy" for a long time.
    My turning point was when I told someone that they weren't allowed to complain about a problem that they would do nothing to fix.... then I realized I needed to apply that to myself!
  • Spambo16
    Spambo16 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    The first time was a double-whammy - I hit my top pregnancy weight SEVERAL years after being pregnant, and was diagnosed with "borderline" diabetes. I got really serious really quickly and dropped nearly 30 lbs., but once my bloodwork fell back to the normal range, I got casual and the weight started creeping back. I'd lose a few, gain a couple back, lose a couple, gain a few back... Usually modifying my eating habits, but rarely getting real about exercise.

After New Year's, this year, it was different somehow. I started slowly, avoiding my usual all-or-nothing mentality because that quickly ends up on the "nothing" side of the equation. While I'd love to see quick results, I love even more the increased strength and the permission to be kind to myself. This time is for keeps.
  • Vanilla30
    Vanilla30 Posts: 19
    Options
    My view on this topic is simple, what works for one person may not work for another. Yes we must eat right and exercise daily, no exceptions just life choice for change. One thing that must be considered in doing the darn thing or not is where you are mentally. My brother is pushing 600lbs and regardless of his health issues, he still doesn’t recognize that he has to do something or he's going to die and leave his children fatherless, not a pretty thought for me. I have RA, for the most part its very well maintained by my meds and the physical activities I attempt to do and the choice of better eating, that doesn’t mean I'm not going to have bad days.

Just keep in mind that some of our minds for change is stronger than others...they too are works in progress..
    :wink:
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The OP sadly is right.

My aha moment came the day I was diagnosed as T2 diabetic. My whole world fell apart for a short while. I then picked myself up and realized it's now or never, the decision was easy. Do I wish I had done this sooner? Oh, hell yes. Now, I am on a strict diet for my diabetes and to lose weight. Ok, I rarely exercise (slaps my own hand) but I have lost over 100 pounds in a little over a year. I just grasped the nettle and did what I had to do. I am now a lovely healthy BMI, my BG numbers are so low I could beat some non diabetics :-) and I feel wonderful. I also have the knowledge that I have done all I can and continue to do all I can to make sure I am here for my daughters, even though both are teenagers now. I have given myself the best chance possible to be at their weddings and see my grandchildren. It breaks my heart when I see people struggling with their weight, I know it is not easy and if unlike me you have no real motivation, even harder.

I don't see overweight people as I once did, just tubs of lard who eat McDonalds and doughnuts all day, I see people with weight issues as people with weight issues and possible food addiction, or eating out of emotion (I was like that). I try to encourage where I can, some will listen, some won't, but I can say I tried.