New & 280lbs @ 20 :(

Options
So i am new to this site and i hope it helps me with motivation to stay on track. I am currently 20,5'1, and 280 lbs. there should be no reason why i weigh this much at this age, but i do. And like all of us, i am trying to lose weight. Im hoping to find motivation buddies. Im not even sure where to start but ive cut out juices and all bad food and ive been having 3 meals with snacks in between. Bad food is so tempting, i wish i had ways to overcome my urges. I hope that just eating right and 30 exercise for a start will do a change in my life. I would love to hear feedback on your story, motivation, and anything what so ever. Thanks guys

Replies

• chefwrx
    chefwrx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out the BBC series "Secret Eaters" ?
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    We all had to start somewhere. It's a learning experience. Fortunately, there's a lot of useful information to be found around here and a lot of helpful people.
  • JankaLee
    JankaLee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It'll be fine! Just stay accountable to yourself and try not to get discouraged. Making conscious healthy food choices and working out start to come easy once you get used to it :)
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I'm great with motivation and if I see something that seems off or not right I have no problem asking you.

I'm coming up on my 90th day of straight logging, and although I don't have as much to lose, I'm still on here daily and log everything, even a cheat meal.

My motivation is my health and my "upcoming" wedding (we're debating when still, but sometime between now and 2015). I have a medical condition known as Fibro and pretty much everyone I know with fibro is overweight because they are in too much pain to exercise. I knew that wasn't going to be me, so I started exercising and eating a bit better. I want to be taken off all my meds, and I'll have to be in order to have kids, so I'm starting now while i'm still young to lose the weight.

Heaviest (2009) - 167
    Smallest (2011) - 125
    MyFitnessPal One year after diagnosis (3/2013)- 142
    Today: 127.4
    Goal: 120ish, maybe less, I'll re-evaluate when I get there
  • Jsoyica
    Jsoyica Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Be encouraged and know that it's a journey, not a race! Everything good thing helps and we are all here to cheer you on and encourage you! You can definitely come chat with me if you ever need to discuss something or just need some motivation and cheering up!
  • CaseyM1985
    CaseyM1985 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the beginning of an amazing journey :) It's going to have it's ups and downs but you can, and will, bust right through them. Just got to keep your head up and your "eye on the prize."

I would recommend making short term and long term goals. Like a short term goal could be lose 10 lbs, longer term to lose 50. Or even something not weight related. Short term work out 3 times/30 min per week for 3 weeks, longer term walk 2 miles, etc.

Add me as a friend if you like, I love new friends on MFP and love the support system it can build!
  • Mari_2009
    Mari_2009 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! I am 281 at 22. I know how you feel. I sky-rocketed to this weight through the last year of hs and almost all of my 4 ears at the university. Most of the time I just found myself eating and just not caring about how it would impact my life. I have always been big so it didn't matter. Plus, when life happened food became my best friend to deal with anything. It's sad but it happened! Now, I'm on this journey. A journey to get better! Add me if you like. We can encourage each other!!
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit older than you but I started at 260 and am 5 feet 1 inch so I totally get where you are coming from. I started by slowly changing the way I ate and walking for 15 min on the treadmill. I have since lost 45 lbs and now a serving satisfies me and I can workout for hours if I want to. Make small changes at first so you don't overwhelm yourself. Utilize this site by adding friends and sharing your successes and struggles. People here are very supportive. You are smart to be making these changes now before it seriously impairs your health and your life. Oh and remember that this is a lifestyle change and not a diet and don't starve yourself because that will backfire. Friend me if you want :)
  • ruby_brewer
    ruby_brewer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I looked at food as bad vs good. However, once you start reading labels, you will find that so called 'good' food is bad for you due to the high content of sodium and sugar. You will find that by shopping at meat markets, and getting fresh ingredients, you can eat lots of awesome tasting food that is truly good for you :) Count calories and fat intake an exercise a minimum of 30 minutes each day and will see the weight melt off! The higher the protein the better :) Don't feel like you are losing out on what you can or cannot eat---you will be surprised at how good food can taste AND be good for you!

MFP is a great tool for staying accountable as well ;) You CAN do this!
  • mylord77
    mylord77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Crystal, welcome to the site. I am new too. My friend showed me the app and I already lost 3 pounds using it. Seeing the amount of calories the food I eat has and how much the exercise off sets them helps so much. I also like to think of the pounds as objects like one pound is a package of bologna, five pounds is a bag of sugar, 10 pounds is a small turkey...20 pounds is a bag of dog food ....etc. It just makes the progress more rewarding :-)
  • JanetP124
    JanetP124 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Aw, you are going to do great.

I suggest you take a page from the AA handbook and not concentrate on the long haul. You don't have to conquer the whole entire future, you just need to wake up every morning and promise yourself that you will be and act mostly healthy for one day. Then the next day, you can make the same pledge. After awhile, it is just a habit. :)
  • mdt07
    mdt07 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good Luck with your journey. Im just starting for the 100th time to lose weight. But I am determined to make this the last time I start. You have to change your thinking and know that you can do this. Small changes will help to acheive big results. You've already started eliminating things for your daily diet that will help you get to where you want to be. Remember to keep your eyes on the prize. Ask yourself do I want to weigh this same amount or more in a month? The answer will be no and you will start to take actions to prevent that from happening. I started with the SMASH Diet to help gain control over my eating habits and it has made a difference. Write down all of your foods, try to plan your days meals and enter them in your diary that will give you an idea of how many calories you are planning to consume for the day and it will allow you to make adjustments before you go over your calorie goal for the day.

Good luck!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
  • wendyholla
    wendyholla Posts: 11
    Options
    This will be a difficult journey, but you can do it! The best and most important step is starting and knowing that you want to change. I don't consider this a diet, to me it is a lifestyle change. I've lost and gained over the years, but I am vowing that this will be the last time, that I will succeed and keep the weight off. It is a lot easier to lose the weight when you are young, so this is a great time to start. Don't get discouraged if you don't lose as fast as you want or occasionally have a bad day. This is a journey and it will have ups and downs, but the reward is so great, it's worth every day of struggling. Good luck to you!
  • tails1315
    tails1315 Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi! I find this site helps a lot for support. I have lost 60 lbs and have 40 more to go. It has had it's ups and downs. I actually started a blog today because I have hit a plateau. I hope it helps get my story out there and maybe the extra boost I need to to give back and start motivating others.

my blog if you want to check it out http://livingfatinloreto.blogspot.com
  • dkirkling
    dkirkling Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Be encouraged. Every baby step leads toward a healthier lifestyle. Feel free to add me as a friend if you need a weight loss buddy.
  • crystalroselynn
    crystalroselynn Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    wow! i was expecting to get so many replies. these sites never seem to work. i really appreciate all of your replies. im so proud of all of you and i hope to one day be proud of myself! i will make sure to contact you guys individually. reading your replies made me almost want to cry. i cant tell you guys how thankful i am for the motivation!
  • Kylwalton
    Kylwalton Posts: 8
    Options
    You can do it, girl!! You are beautiful!! Weight is a number, not an identity. Keep moving, keep counting, and understand there will be setbacks. You will eventually settle on the weight you are supposed to be.
  • het1986
    het1986 Posts: 3
    Options
    Nice to meet you :) I started my weight loss journey like three months ago...? I dont really remember because at first I didnt stick to it very well. I am 5'7 27 yrs old, and weighed in at 237 when I first started trying to lose weight, that was before myfitnesspal. Really, it seems like it is the hardest thing to do in the world, I know I thought it was. I kept finding excuses to not eat right or exercise. I would just give up and say " whats the point?" "I cant do this" just a ton of negative things, and I would think like that. After just putting myself down and giving up, I got a message from one of my old friends on Facebook ( which was weird because she hadnt talked to me since she had moved, over 8 months ago) I looked at her Facebook pictures, and could not believe what I was seeing. She had lost so much weight and looked so great!I have to admit that I was a little (lot) jealous. I just told myself, "If she can do it, so can I!".

She was doing a "hunter-gatherer" diet, or thats what she called it. She said she only ate what a hunter gatherer would have eaten like thousands of years ago and she started jogging. I attempted it at the beginning and it was too hard. I kept cheating and stuffing my face with swiss rolls and brownies and anything else chocolate or fudge I could find. Got on the scale at the dosctors office and I weighed 249. Thats when I decided to go ahead and get off my huge butt and accept that I was unhealthy, lazy and fat. so, I started doing a kickboxing video workout in the comfort of my own home so no one was watching me work out at a gym, or watching my if I went running. I had a big fear of being made fun of by people who were more in shape than me. So I refused t work out infront of people. After doing my workout video for a while, I was feeling better about myself. I stopped drinking soda and only drank water. That was hard to do at first because I always needed something to flavor the water, but I was determined to do it right. So I kept exercising and drinking bottled water. After awhile of doing that I decided I am not going to eat anymore junk food. Then I found myself exercising, drinking only water, and making healthier choices as far as snacks. Now, I am doing the hunter gatherer thing my friend was doing but it is really called 'Paleo' and it is worth looking up. I am now 205 and holding. lol. But I am so proud to be able to say that I am 205. It is not where I want to be, I have another 40 pounds to go. But looking back, I wish I would have stuck to it when I first started because I might be t my goal weight by now.
    I know you feel like it is hard, and I know that you are probably just depressed right now and feel like this is your last hope. I was there, and somedays I am still there. lol. My advice is to just do it. Dont make excuses and knock yourself down, because it can be done. And you will be amazed at how great you feel about yourself when you get on the scale and have dropped a couple pounds. It is a great feeling, because you know that the hard work and stress is paying off. I wish you the best of luck. Look up what I was talking about. Its not something that is easy, but it is the best way to lose weight...my opinion. Best wishes to you in your journey :)
  • ndoll99
    ndoll99 Posts: 3
    Options
    no worries, im 23 and 274..you can do it, keep your head up and believe in yourself. my hardest week was the first one, especially the weekend cuz thats when i tend to snack. week 2 was so much better! you have to let yourself cheat sometimes or youll go crazy! try some skinny cow mint icecream sandwichs..only 150 cals and 2g of fat!! Im only on about 40 minute walks(week 2) and it does get better and easier!!! you can do it and so can i! you can always message me!
  • curtissoph
    curtissoph Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'm also 20, I've been a member of this site for ages but only started up the whole being healthy thing again last week so I'm just beginning as well. There are heaps of hints and tricks on this site and loads of good advice too, so lurk on the message boards like I do and develop a routine that works for you :) feel free to add me!