Is obesity a disease or a symptom?

Options

Replies

• salydra
    salydra Posts: 29
    Options
    Technically, it's a symptom, but is also a risk factor. It can be a symptom for a number of things including an eating disorder, depression, gluten sensitivity, thyroid problems, and a host of other physical and psychological conditions.

It *can* be treated as a disease, as it can technically be "cured" without necessarily addressing the underlying issues, but there usually is some kind of accompanying problem.
  • keina629
    keina629 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It can be a disease if you have a leptin deficiency which is a hormone that tells your brain to stop eating! Not sure how common a leptin deficiency is though.
  • dbratton87
    dbratton87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    not a disease...just a ploy by Big Pharma to sell more drugs.

Your profile pic just made me really sad..... Charlie :'(
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It's hard to agree that obesity is a disease. I see a disease as something you contract unvoluntarily. What we eat is a choice and if not done carefully and consicously, it can lead to obesity. And grant it, some people have thyroid problems and slow motabolisms but if you have those problems and you're eating healthy, you're not going to become obese. Now, if you have those problems and you're eating unhealthy, you can become obese. So therefore I think it's a result of bad decisions. There is a cure for obesity, a healthy diet and exercise. I heard a commercial the other day and the lady was like, I eat right and I exercise and I still gained weight (it was a diet pill commercial). I thought, that's impossible to eat right, exercise and gain weight unless you're strentgh training. So as an obese person myself, I disagree that it's a disease. I know I gained weight as a result of my food choices.
  • dbratton87
    dbratton87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I agree, disease. Some people's attitude toward overweight people is very sad. Like someone above said, a very insignificant number of people maintain more than 15-20 lbs of weightloss. It is simply not as easy as eating less. Some people are very genetically predisposed to weight gain. The genetic risk factors alone would cause me to categorize it as a disease.

I don't mean to be negative. I believe anyone CAN lose a significant amount of weight and maintain it but few actually DO. It's just a depressing fact and I have resolved to be one of the few. That said, we all know it is NOT easy. We should have more compassion.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    not a disease...just a ploy by Big Pharma to sell more drugs.

Your profile pic just made me really sad..... Charlie :'(

if we keep his memory in our hearts he will always live on. :)
  • kevinrbarger
    kevinrbarger Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Obesity is a disease. For it to be a symptom of something, then there would have to be another disease that it was a symptom of.

Being "fat" is a symptom of obesity.

I also find huge issues with some people in this thread who automatically assume that obesity squarely sits on the shoulders of those who are obese. Yes, personal responsibility is a factor, but there are other deep psychological and physiological reasons that keep people from losing weight. Losing weight is not an easy thing. It's not as simple as "put down the doughnuts!"

For instance, did you know that guilt makes "bad" foods taste better and therefore harder to resist? By making someone feel guilty about eating something, you are making it more rewarding for them to indulge. Here is a link to an article about the science behind that:

http://www.psmag.com/health/guilt-makes-the-pie-taste-sweeter-49624/

What about the fact that sweeteners such as high fructose corn syrup (which has found its way into basically everything) reduce the amount of leptin (the chemical that makes you feel full) in the blood, and if you're not mindful of that you will continue eating even though you have had enough. That has nothing to do with personal responsibility, but moreso being the victim of greedy corporations who want you to buy more of their product. Here is the science behind that:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/4/537.long

Or if you want to talk about greedy corporations, we can discuss how junk food has been deliberately designed to be addictive. Here is a New York Times article about that:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html?pagewanted=all&_r=2&

And since junk food has been deliberately designed to be addictive we can talk about how, when someone does decide to go on a diet and quit junk food, they go through the same symptoms as drug withdrawal--on par with cocaine and meth. Here is an article about the science behind that:

http://www.livescience.com/25588-junk-food-withdrawal.html

But let's jump off that train of thought and talk about how people who are overweight have difficulty losing weight because the weight gain has destroyed the body's fat fighting invariant natural killer T-cells. The fatter someone becomes, the less of these cells they have. Here are two links about that:

http://gizmodo.com/5948168/why-fat-people-cant-help-getting-even-fatter

http://www.alphagalileo.org/ViewItem.aspx?ItemId=124501&CultureCode=en

There are a lot of other factors that I could mention, too (such as how MRI imaging has showed that the prefrontal cortex of obese people does not activate in order to stop them from wanting high fat foods when they are not hungry), but I think I've given enough links here already. The point of all this isn't to discourage people from losing weight (or to give them excuses not to do so) because there are all of these factors against them, but to pat them on the back. This is really, really hard. There is a lot working against you, but we're all here because we're doing it. And that's amazing!

To try and act like obesity is solely a "symptom" of a lack of willpower or something is absurd and counterproductive. It is a disease, and there are a multitude of internal and external reasons for it. The science is behind that. A disease does not need to be caused by a virus or whatever in order to be classified as such. Like GetSoda up there so sufficiently said:

The dictionary says:

"A particular quality, habit, or disposition regarded as adversely affecting a person or group of people."

So, just because something is self inflicted, doesn't mean it's not a disease.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Brb selling obesity cure pills.
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I heard this story on the radio this morning. They are adding it as a disease to allow the cost of care covered by insurance and to allow people to seek help without paying an arm and a leg.

I personally believe that it isnt a disease but a symptom of something. Diabetes, thyroid problems, etc. But this way, people will be able to get the help they need if they search for it and want it :) which is excellent, but I can see the problems this will probably cause in terms of options of care, etc
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I'd say it is a symptom of:

1. sedentary lifestyles
    2. easy access to;
    3. more processed and sugar laced food than ever before.
    Came into post number 1. Most people don't have to endure physical labor to make a living.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    The AMA is made up of doctors and their main motivator in life is money (not dissing them for that, just stating it as I see it).

Really? How many doctors do you know at the AMA? How many do you know in real life? Do you know what their debt to income ratio is?

Money is NOT the motivating factor for most doctors and, frankly, most doctors could make a hell of a lot more money in other careers at this point...

That being said, the AMA sold out doctors to Big Pharma and Big Insurance a long time ago (80s-90s). Most docs *I* know do NOT feel that the AMA represents them.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I also find huge issues with some people in this thread who automatically assume that obesity squarely sits on the shoulders of those who are obese. Yes, personal responsibility is a factor, but there are other deep psychological and physiological reasons that keep people from losing weight. Losing weight is not an easy thing. It's not as simple as "put down the doughnuts!"

Losing weight is pretty simple and you don't even have to put down the doughnuts when losing weight
    What about the fact that sweeteners such as high fructose corn syrup (which has found its way into basically everything) reduce the amount of leptin (the chemical that makes you feel full) in the blood, and if you're not mindful of that you will continue eating even though you have had enough. That has nothing to do with personal responsibility, but moreso being the victim of greedy corporations who want you to buy more of their product. Here is the science behind that:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/4/537.long

Lol Bray. So where does it say it will reduce the amount of leptin in the blood? Unless you're talking about reference 24, in which case leptin was reduced compared to a high glucose diet. But if you want to go by fructose = bad cause "reduces that amount of leptin in the blood", everyone should stay away from fruit, right?
    And since junk food has been deliberately designed to be addictive we can talk about how, when someone does decide to go on a diet and quit junk food, they go through the same symptoms as drug withdrawal--on par with cocaine and meth. Here is an article about the science behind that:

http://www.livescience.com/25588-junk-food-withdrawal.html

When you say someone, did you mean your pet mouse, since that article was talking about a study on mice.
  • mlfrailing
    mlfrailing Posts: 79
    Options
    Get off your donkey, turn off the tv, grab a bottle of water and take a walk.

That's the plan I have been following and now can say I'm overweight.

That just doesn't look as good when it's in writing.
  • melwharris91
    melwharris91 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Not sure what to think whether obesity should be classified as a disease. It will be interesting to see how insurance companies will handle this issue. I think the bottom line is to find out the root causes of why obesity is so widespread in our society and to address those issues. I
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Probably depends on who you are talking about, and who you are talking to. There are multitudes of reasons why people overeat...some are emotional, some are situational, some are genuinely physical...every person has their own story and all those stories are valid and true. So it could be a disease OR a symptom. OR both. OR neither.
  • keenslk
    keenslk Posts: 126
    Options
    It is definately not a disease... it is a condition or a sympton or in some cases an illness

I have a chronic genetic disease - which can only be controlled with medication. Nothing I will ever do or eat will change the fact I have this disease...

Im not saying in all cases obesity is a choice - but generally people are obese cause they eat too much and dont exercise enough.. this can be due to a mental illness, being under educated about healthy living or it may be mere laziness and love of food. There are many reasons whichcan make a person obese..

However, in my opinion it is not a disease!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I'd say it is a symptom of:

1. sedentary lifestyles
    2. easy access to;
    3. more processed and sugar laced food than ever before.

Yep!
  • Brujah1981
    Brujah1981 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Not to derail anything, but I think it's important that we remind ourselves what obesity is before we start giving our own opinions. It's really not that difficult to be considered "obese" in America, because the definition tends to be based off body fat % and BMI. According to the app here on MFP, a 5'10" male weighing more than 209lbs is Obese. For the guy who is simply overweight, yeah he doesn't have a disease, so putting down the donut will work just fine, but for the person with 60+ lbs to lose, then yeah, we're talking about an entire lifestyle change, not that different from the lifestyle change that someone with diabetes or alcholism needs to make to get themselves healthy.

When the AMA calls something a "disease", that doesn't mean that it's viral or bacterial. It means that it's a condition that most people can't overcome by sheer willpower. Everyone here on MFP is getting help through the site, if nothing else, so we can't claim that we're doing it 100% by ourselves. We're making use of tools, information, education, etc., to better combat something that we were having difficulty with on our own.

And for everyone who wants to blame capitalism for Obesity in America: Take off the tinfoil hat and grow up. No one is sitting in a boardroom going, "Man, how can I rip off America and slowly kill it's people today for my own selfish needs?"
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    for more information read about adiposopathy and "sick fat" - see article and search for others

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21679848

this abdominal fat "sick fat" is possibly acting as it's own "organ"

very interesting
  • Megadautilus
    Options
    Actually alcoholism can be a genetic disease. Most people don't want to hear it but about 20% of people actually have changes in the chemical receptors in their brains. People are extremely prejudice against people who are alcoholics and they are constantly thrown under the bus because most people drink and don't want to hear about how it actually is a genetic illness. With that said there are people that just drink to much regularly.