3 months in/first goal hit <300

Options
TIMv4
TIMv4 Posts: 21 Member
I started using the app March 21 and just crossed under the 300lb level (298lbs). I don't even remember the last time I was under 300. It's probably been at least 7-8 years. 10 years ago I barely fit on the fastest/tallest roller coaster in the world (at the time). Usually the safety straps didn't want to cooperate when I was north of 290. The "test seat" they had out on the walking mall fit snug but they had to fight a bit to click the belt when I got to the ride.

I may have been as heavy as 350, the most I ever saw in a good scale was 343 and I started losing at 336 with the app.

I've never been a slacker for my size. Fairly active because of work but that was part of the trouble too. As work became less busy, I became less active and I didn't compensate anywhere else. Add a dash of stress and the weight creeped up. Being less busy often equaled boredom eating.

The first 6 weeks the only changes I did were to what I was eating. I had been making decent food choices for my main eating in the last many years but still had too much snacking and of the wrong stuff. Using the app, it was horrifying to see how fast the calories added from anything with cheese or even small quantities of snacks that were high in sugar. Those went out the window quick. I was actually over my calorie goal quite often for a while but I was probably a bit more active than the app accounted for.

I started adding in walking sessions as the weather improved. I also was close to leaving a second job and that was freeing up more time to think about and have time to exercise. And as of late, I added in some machine weight lifting. It's quite convenient as I have a nice multi station Weider in my basement that I've had for some time but haven't given proper attention.

So the new habits are working out well but the tracking of calories/goals with the app is what I really like. There's something I want to eat that's going to bust the goal? Work in some exercise calories. I really like that strategy.

I have my goal meter set to 250. I'll be quite ecstatic when I get there since that'll be a good 15 year rewind on weight. From there I'll decide where the new goal should be since I'll have to consider the changes from the workouts.

It looks so much closer psychologically now that my weight starts with a 2 :happy:

Replies

• TiaTia2003
    TiaTia2003 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You are well on your way. Making small changes really add up to great weight loss. You must be so happy to kiss the 300s goodbye. Good for you!
  • canhardlyweight
    Options
    I love the app, too. It really puts things into perspective when you see the numbers totaling up. I think more now about what I actually eat, instead of guessing it's not really that bad.
    Congratulations, sounds like you're well on your way to 250! Keep it up! :)
  • TIMv4
    Options
    I'm crazy accurate using the food scale at home. Very handy and simple enough.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    So happy for you, I was there man, I know what it meant for me to say goodbye to the #3 it was my second best day on MFP, my best was when I hit the 100 pound lost mark. Keep on going man, you are doing great.
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    Awesome story sir :) Congrats on hitting the under 300 mark. Keep up the good work, and keep on making those healthy choices :) you'll meet your goals in no time!
  • hinzee4
    hinzee4 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss so far!! Keep it going!!!
  • chepurner
    chepurner Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    congrats! it does make a lot of difference to know for sure what you are consuming! good luck on your journey and 250 before you know it!
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Congratulations!!
  • Davisc28
    Davisc28 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • kargesa
    kargesa Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Your story is very motivating! I have been trying to make changes in my life as well. I decided to start small so that it wouldn't feel like I had flipped my life upside down, but so far the changes aren't adding up to much weightloss. Your success has motivated me to make some additional changes.

Good luck reaching your goal!!
  • TIMv4
    Options
    Your story is very motivating! I have been trying to make changes in my life as well. I decided to start small so that it wouldn't feel like I had flipped my life upside down, but so far the changes aren't adding up to much weightloss. Your success has motivated me to make some additional changes.

Good luck reaching your goal!!

Since I'm still pretty busy, I do rely on canned or frozen fruits/veggies to fill up and get many of those healthier calories in there. Frozen strawberries are pretty good when defrosted. Peaches are terrible. Green Giant has some great vegetable or potato mixes in a bag with lighter sauces that are only a few hundred calories. Canned/jarred fruit cocktail/peaches/apricots are a fave if they are the no sugar added Splenda ones.

Turkey sandwiches on 40 calorie flax bread with mustard is popular for me too. Those are 140-160 calories depending on if I used yellow or honey dijon mustard. I want one now . . . .

I add flax to yogurt. Fiber-ing up stuff that way works well.

Some snacks I like are the Walgreens raisin/flax granola or some sort of jerky. The local convenience stores have delicious little tubs of cantaloupe or strawberry/blueberry/kiwi. Also a few servings of cheese popcorn or pretzel sticks do me well for snacks as long as don't make them a daily thing.

My favorite treat is Dean's Greek blueberry frozen yogurt. 160 calories a serving. I've only seen it at Walmart. It's a good thing I have the food scale to portion it to a few servings. Good stuff.

Thanks folks, lots of people with the same goals on mfp. It's a great way to learn and share things outside of the numbers game with the app.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    nice job man.. I'm about 20 lbs behind you! Looking forward to hitting the 200's... keep it up brother!!!
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Great job so far. Keep it up, you definitely got this.
  • mkcongrove1
    mkcongrove1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Since I'm still pretty busy, I do rely on canned or frozen fruits/veggies to fill up and get many of those healthier calories in there. Frozen strawberries are pretty good when defrosted. Peaches are terrible. Green Giant has some great vegetable or potato mixes in a bag with lighter sauces that are only a few hundred calories.

You should look into Birdseye frozen veggies! I am obsessed with them! They are the best frozen foods I've found so far and so easy to make in the microwave! They also have some mixes as well that are so delicious I make a whole meal out of them.

And seriously, what you have accomplished is absolutely amazing!! Reading people's stories like yours keep me motivated. You are awesome!
  • yoscarlino
    yoscarlino Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Way to go! you should be proud of yourself!
  • joannedemarco
    Options
    Congrats!!!!!
  • MoJoPoe
    MoJoPoe Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You are on your way! Keep that motivation!
  • Grinb
    Grinb Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Great job man I was amazed when I hit the under 300 mark, my ticker is set to 250 as well then it's off to onderland lol
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your life style change, and getting in the 2 zone, you certainly have the determination and know how with this app to conquer just about anything, the mind is a powerful tool!

Cheers!
  • TIMv4
    Options
    Great job man I was amazed when I hit the under 300 mark, my ticker is set to 250 as well then it's off to onderland lol

Likewise. Good side by side pic showing the difference. Holy mackeral. I'm guessing I'll eventually settle into the 220-230 area but we'll see. I once went from 292 down to 219. I still have some of those pants around. The size looks almost comical.

But even before I started this I've always been observant of people who haven't found a way to break the cycle. They're younger and have trouble moving around and have health problems starting in. I think "That's decades of hardship and medical expenses and impediments to living a good life."

But there's all sorts of things that get us to where we are/were or slow us down from changing things.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!