Your best LIFESTYLE CHANGE advice!

Options
Lots of posts lately asking questions about how to increase calories in a healthy way, starting lifting with free weights, etc. I thought I'd share a few of my tips and invite you guys to share your own!

Increasing Calories
>Increase in small increments. Don't go from 1200 to 1900 overnight because you'll feel overwhelmed. Go to 1300 for a few days. Then 1400. Then 1500, etc.

> Switch from light, fat-free, sugar-free, and diet to regular food items. Regular items usually double the caloric value of the lighter versions (plus they aren't filled with artificial stuff).

>Bananas, grapes, nut butters, nuts, avocados, oils, and yogurt (dairy in general) are higher in calories and just a small amount can add up pretty quickly.

>MFP: The way it was designed- If you're going to use MFP the way it was designed, you have to do two different things: determine your activity level and understand what counts as exercise. Sedentary does not describe most people's lifestyles. That applies to people who literally don't do anything throughout the day, and if you are a parent, if you do laundry, if you clean the house, if you walk the dogs, it doesn't apply to you. Most people are Lightly to Moderately Active and should choose according to what they do each day. In addition, anything you do on TOP of your normal, day-to-day activity should count as exercise. Then, and this is important, eat those calories back. If you feel like MFP overestimates calories burned, invest in a Heart Rate Monitor. But please, please, stop setting your activity level to Sedentary, choosing to lose 2lbs a week and then not eating exercise calories back.

>Protein shakes
If you're hesitant to add more "food" food back into your diet, a good protein shake can contain up to 300+ calories of drinkable deliciousness. I love Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey in Double Rich Chocolate. If you search the term Protein Powders in the forums, though, you'll find a plethora of other suggestions from seasoned MFPers.

Exercise Programs
>Start with a good beginner's program. (These are not the only ones out there, just the two I'm familiar with)
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
I follow Stronglifts 5x5 and I really love it. Make sure you read up on good form. There's a ton of information out there. Form is everything in lifting.

>Cardio isn't bad. If you love running, first of all, congratulations because I absolutely hate it, and second of all don't give it up! I think a good exercise routine has a healthy combination of both strength training and cardio. The breakdown of the combination is definitely debatable, but the fact that you can, and should, do both isn't.

Overall
>Make every change you make sustainable. This has been the biggest thing for me. From exercising to eating, really consider if it's something you can see yourself doing 5-10 years from now. If not, adjust it!

Replies

• nicola19489
    nicola19489 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    great advice
  • choxmay
    choxmay Posts: 12
    Options
    Great advice!! I especially like the idea of increasing calories for weight loss resuls. I am planning to start making protein shakes to increase my caloric intake to meet my TDEE.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Most important bit right here: >Make every change you make sustainable

I remember telling myself that I was going to run/cardio three times a week for at least 30 minutes. Lol nope, that lasted for like two weeks. I hate cardio. Doing cardio is not sustainable for me because I hate it. However, telling myself that I'll go lift for an hour a day is totally doable. I love lifting. I don't mind lifting for an hour so it's sustainable.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Most important bit right here: >Make every change you make sustainable

I remember telling myself that I was going to run/cardio three times a week for at least 30 minutes. Lol nope, that lasted for like two weeks. I hate cardio. Doing cardio is not sustainable for me because I hate it. However, telling myself that I'll go lift for an hour a day is totally doable. I love lifting. I don't mind lifting for an hour so it's sustainable.

Your arms are GORGEOUS