Healthy Party Foods???

Options
Before you yell at me I did search through some of the older post asking the same question. The thing is, I would like an idea of something you have actually tried and really enjoyed! I'm have a girls night/birthday party (I'm turning 24) at my house on Saturday night and they all know I'm watching what I'm eating and I'd like to make some delicious but healthy foods to snack on. All of the older post just gave websites to go to (not actual recipes) and "this and that sounds like it would be good".

So far, I know I will be having a veggie tray and that I am going to make fruit skewers.

So please send me some suggestions of things you've made/had and if you want to send a link to the recipe I'm happy with that too :)

Replies

• thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    pretzels, hummus, there are some healthy dips out there (try replacing sour cream/cream cheese with greek yogurt or silken tofu). Deviled eggs with avocado, maybe you can try carrot fries or homemade sweet potato fries, zucchini or potato crisps, baked edamame with salt and vinegar, broccoli cheese balls, baked buffalo wing flavored broccoli/cauliflower floret bites.
  • mkcongrove1
    mkcongrove1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'll have to look some of those up!! I think I might make some home made Kale chips as well!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    If you like spinach artichoke dip there's a great recipe from The LooneySpoons Collection. It's got canned white beans as the base so there's more protein. The recipes in the book are nice, but the titles are punny.

This one is called Hearty-Choke dip.

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/janet-and-gretas-hearty-choke-dip/recipe.html?dishId=10399
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I like beetroot tzatziki. http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/6261/beetroot+tzatziki

Healthy and very colourful

Veggies and dip/fruit platter is always my go-to healthy party food but I will try to think of a few more ideas. I'm having a party on Saturday night so I'll be interested in what people come up with
  • gmallan
    Options
    You could make Asian-style rice paper rolls with a dipping sauce. Delicious and healthy. I make big version of these for dinner sometimes.

Something like this:

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/17608/vietnamese+rice+paper+rolls

You could also do some mini chicken breast skewers with a yummy marinade an dipping sauce

Popcorn would be a good option seasoned it with a variety of spices/nutritional yeast
  • gmallan
    Options
    You could do little mini shooters of chocolate avocado mousse with whipped cream. I've tried this recipe and it is decadent

http://thischickcooks.net/2012/06/01/chocolate-avocado-pudding-for-non-avocado-and-avocado-lovers/
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Shrimp cocktail! Also, greek yogurt makes AWESOME ranch dip. Use the 0% fat and you can eat it all night with veggies. I don't personally like raw carrots that much, but I love cherry tomatores.
    Fruit skewers is a great idea.
    If you are looking for something wtih protein, chicken satay with peanut sauce is another favorite of mine. Or mini turkey burger "sliders" on mini whole wheat pita, topped with cranberry salsa (half salsa, half whole berry cranberry sauce). Lean ground turkey also makes really good cocktail meatballs :)
  • mkcongrove1
    Options
    You guys are seriously AWESOME!! This is why I love this site so much!! I am so excited to make these! I'm going to have to have multiple parties so I can try all the different recipes!
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'll second the shrimp cocktail idea.

Could do a bowl of parfait with the Greek yogurt topped with granola.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I love spinach and artichoke hummus on almond crackers! My favorite snack. Tortilla chips with fresh salsa and guac is good for you. Pinwheels are good.
  • gmallan
    Options
    No worries :smile: Don't forget vodka jelly shots with low cal jelly :drinker:
  • mkcongrove1
    Options
    No worries :smile: Don't forget vodka jelly shots with low cal jelly :drinker:

Oh you know it! I also have an infamous pudding shot recipe as well!! :drinker:
  • Equina
    Equina Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    one of my favorites...won ton jalapeno poppers. preheat oven to 350. spray a cooking sheet with non-stick spray. place 1/4 of a wedge of crystal farms jalapeno cheese on a won ton wrapper, can also use laughing cow. add some chopped jalapeno ( i use one large slice but then I love spicy!). wet the edges and then fold either in a "package" or a triangle. Bake for 12-15 min and serve with chunky salsa...sooooooo good, feels like junk food but is not. 27.5 calories of yummy crispy goodness.
  • gabbylab
    gabbylab Posts: 146
    Options
    Caprese_Skewers-2_zps73b97ef8.jpg

I made these for a picnic over the weekend. Caprese skewers :)
    Mozzarella pearls, fresh basil leaves, grape tomatoes and drizzled olive oil and balsamic glaze over them. I used pretty toothpicks though :wink: The plate looked divine.
  • mkcongrove1
    Options
    Sometimes I really wish MFP had a like button so I could like all of these wonderful ideas! I feel like a school girl, all excited to make delicious healthy food!
  • gmallan
    Options
    Stuffed mushrooms are delish or mini mushroom pizzas.
  • gabbylab
    gabbylab Posts: 146
    Options
    This one is fun and pretty too! Angel Food Cake trifle. Especially this time of year with fresh berries. Low cal and easy.

angelfoodtrifle_zpse3750cd9.jpg
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    bump for the won ton wrappers recipe.... sounds YUMMO
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Southwest Egg Rolls

They're awesome and baked, about 110 calories a piece (if you add cheese) about 95 without cheese. I make them and serve them with peach salsa!!

Egg Roll Wrappers
    1 can Black Beans
    1 7 oz can of chopped chilis
    1 Can Sweet Corn
    Shredded Cheese of your choice, I used Velveeta White Mexican
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp black pepper
    4 cloves garlic chopped (I use the jar kind 1 tblsp)

Make the filling the night before you make the egg rolls (it will be a lot better).
    Drain and rinse the beans, drain the corn and chilis
    Mix everything but the cheese. After everything is mixed, I put it in a strainer in the fridge and cover it over night. One of the keys to this recipe working and the egg rolls being crunchy is to make sure you have no excess moisture in the mixture.

When you are ready to make them.
    Preheat the over to 425 degrees
    add the cheese to the other mixture, mix well.
    Lay an egg roll wrapper on the counter in a diamond shape. Wet the edges with water, place about a heaping tablespoon in the middle of the egg roll and roll, bringing in the sides as you roll.
    Place rolled egg rolls on a sprayed cookie sheet.
    when you have rolled all the egg rolls, spray the top of them with Pam and bake for 15 minutes
    Spray them again and turn over, bake for 10-15 minutes more.

We had a Nutritious Recipe Challenge at work today, I made these and won the People's Choice Award!
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Dip for Veggies!

16oz Greek Yogurt
    1 pkg Dill Seasoning (Hidden Valley, it's by the dressings)

~275cal/c, lots of protein, tastes as good or better than most other dill dips I've ever had for veggies.

Edit: Seriously, try this... it looks epic. We're going to try it in a week or so here. http://www.isavea2z.com/no-bake-watermelon-cake-recipe/