The Cake Is A LIE! The Cake Is A LIE!

Options
There was a retirement party at work today. An employee put in 38 years of service and called it a career today. There was a huge cake and giant tub of ice cream. Four different people offered me a plate and I could barely refuse. The thought of having to put in an extra 30 minutes at the gym to counter the empty calories was just enough motivation. So, there was cake . . . but not for me.

Replies

• ame337
    ame337 Posts: 27
    Options
    good for you! I would of ate the cake.. then not worked out extra :) hehe
  • Noah137
    Noah137 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You should have ate the cake...you know... for science.
  • Grell_R_Sutcliff
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!!!!!:happy:
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing your self contol won and that is a great tasting victory.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! To resist that Cake is truly AWESOME!!
  • lsjobom
    lsjobom Posts: 5
    Options
    Now2 that is well power............Way to go
  • nbingham
    nbingham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    But... this is a triumph! I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS! :-P
  • Noah137
    Noah137 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    But... this is a triumph! I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS! :-P

I bet the cake was great, so delicious and moist.
  • prprncss84
    prprncss84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    haha of course! For science!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I HATE these things. It's always one of two responses. Either you get "ooo, someones being good today!", or you get the people who say "You've earned it, just have a piece." The "you're being good" line is always from the overweight older ladies who make jokes about how they could never resist cake. My first thought is "You don't have to tell me you can't resist cake. believe me, everyone can tell."

No, I'm not being good, I'm leading a healthy lifestyle, the benefits of which completely outweigh the desire to have your cheap cake. It makes it easy to say no when I start to get nauscious from the comments.

Did I mention that I don't like these things. :/
  • josh6603
    josh6603 Posts: 39
    Options
    I HATE these things. It's always one of two responses. Either you get "ooo, someones being good today!", or you get the people who say "You've earned it, just have a piece." The "you're being good" line is always from the overweight older ladies who make jokes about how they could never resist cake. My first thought is "You don't have to tell me you can't resist cake. believe me, everyone can tell."

No, I'm not being good, I'm leading a healthy lifestyle, the benefits of which completely outweigh the desire to have your cheap cake. It makes it easy to say no when I start to get nauscious from the comments.

If you HATE them so much why comment? Why not just keep moving along if it bothers you much. The title of the topic eludes to the fact that this is ment for amusement and not for trumpeting a success. If that joke is lost on you oh well. This topic is also posted in the random area of the forums. I just wanted to share an experience highlighting what using this site and trying to maintain a healthier lifestyle can do to your perception of a seemingly innocuous situation.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Well I did not resist the cake and had a piece last night. I enjoyed every bite too.:happy:
  • TateFTW
    Options

If you HATE them so much why comment? Why not just keep moving along if it bothers you much. The title of the topic eludes to the fact that this is ment for amusement and not for trumpeting a success. If that joke is lost on you oh well. This topic is also posted in the random area of the forums. I just wanted to share an experience highlighting what using this site and trying to maintain a healthier lifestyle can do to your perception of a seemingly innocuous situation.

Dude, I'm saying I hate the parties with cake. I'm with you. . .it's so hard t o resist anyways, and it always seems like everyone else at the parties is there just to sabatoge you.
  • josh6603
    Options
    A simple misunderstanding. But yeah, most of the guys there are in there 40's and 50's and could care less about their health. When my brother and i tell them that we are counting calories and watching our diet they laugh and tell use it's a waste of time. It gets annoying real fast. And you are right, the "being good" comments can wear you down fast. Luckily my shift was starting and i had to bail out of the room to get ready for work.
  • TateFTW
    Options
    It's not a real messagae board without misungerstandings. ;)
  • josh6603
    Options
    Lol. Indeed
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    A simple misunderstanding. But yeah, most of the guys there are in there 40's and 50's and could care less about their health. When my brother and i tell them that we are counting calories and watching our diet they laugh and tell use it's a waste of time. It gets annoying real fast. And you are right, the "being good" comments can wear you down fast. Luckily my shift was starting and i had to bail out of the room to get ready for work.

I absolutely agree with you. I went to my cousins daughters bday on Saturday and everyone was like , oh , it's just cake and actually shoved a piece in my face and set it on the table in front of me after I refused. They may as welll spoon fed me!!!!!!I did well and didn't eat it partly because i don't like whipped cream frosting. If it had been butter cream, I might have caved. I mean, good grief whatttya gotta do?????
  • TateFTW
    Options

I absolutely agree with you. I went to my cousins daughters bday on Saturday and everyone was like , oh , it's just cake and actually shoved a piece in my face and set it on the table in front of me after I refused. They may as welll spoon fed me!!!!!!I did well and didn't eat it partly because i don't like whipped cream frosting. If it had been butter cream, I might have caved. I mean, good grief whatttya gotta do?????

That's part of the problem. People have NO CLUE about whats in what they eat. The other day my wife and I went to moe's. We're regulars there and know most of the people who work there. We were talking to a worker there and he agreed that moe's was off the charts on fat and carbs, but he said he didn't believe it had as many calories as the website said. This site makes you so aware of how every little thing you eat affects your daily intake, you start to see how no one else seems to understand just how many calories are in some foods.

I've actually turned a few people onto this site because when they offer I'll tell them I'm a member of a website where I enter every single thing I eat and it gets tallied up every day. Once I explain that if I eat that cake I have to not eat later to compensate they lay off.
  • Joyjmb
    Joyjmb Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I went to best friend's birthday last night at local bar for bingo and while I deftly avoided the iced birthday cookies (adorned with bingo #s, no less) I could not escape the notice of my friends that I was not drinking at all. Just sipping my water with lime. Everyone gave me so much crap. That is, until the birthday girl sidled up to me and gave me a big hug and took a sip of my water. 'I know you're weighing in tomorrow - I'm proud of you for being good.' Oh bless 'er!
  • nbingham
    nbingham Posts: 102 Member
    Options

That's part of the problem. People have NO CLUE about whats in what they eat. The other day my wife and I went to moe's. We're regulars there and know most of the people who work there. We were talking to a worker there and he agreed that moe's was off the charts on fat and carbs, but he said he didn't believe it had as many calories as the website said. This site makes you so aware of how every little thing you eat affects your daily intake, you start to see how no one else seems to understand just how many calories are in some foods.

I've actually turned a few people onto this site because when they offer I'll tell them I'm a member of a website where I enter every single thing I eat and it gets tallied up every day. Once I explain that if I eat that cake I have to not eat later to compensate they lay off.

I have a skinny friend who showed me some of her honeymoon photos last week. Before joining MFP I probably wouldn't have noticed, but the first thing I saw was what she had for breakfast. Most people would probably look at it and think it was healthy, but I was curious. I came home and looked everything up on MFP. 1800 calories! For just breakfast!!!! That seriously blew my mind.