Want some friends with experience in how the body works

Options
I find myself getting very discouraged. I don't have a scale at home. I'm doing Insanity and have been pretty active since I last got weighed at the doctor. He made me feel terrible about how heavy I am and told me I should be in Overeater's Anonymous etc.

Anyway, before the doctor shamed me, I saw my weight on the scale when the nurse was doing it and I decided right then that I couldn't keep letting myself slide back. A year before I had lost 60 lbs and after some extenuating circumstances I gained it all back and more. So I started tracking and doing Insanity. I've been doing this for two weeks and have been on my feet constantly for a week before that with the process of packing, moving, and unpacking a LOT of stuff. I got on a scale at Publix yesterday and I saw that I did not lose one pound. I got on it again a minute later and it went up a pound.

I'm thinking the scale is inaccurate and a mix of muscle gain vs fat loss but I am still pretty discouraged that I'm not making progress. And I'm scared and impatient because I just want to be back to where I was :( need help/

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    From what I've read most people don't lose a lot of weight with insanity, but they lose a lot of inches. Insanity is hard and makes most people retain water for muscle repair. I'd probably stay off the scale until I was done with the program.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/963977-insanity-how-soon-for-results?hl=lost+1lb+with+insanity#posts-14706982

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1022687-questions-about-insanity-weight-loss?hl=Insanity#posts-15679730
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1022283-i-finished-insanity-pics?hl=Insanity&page=1#posts-15678228
  • babylemonade
    babylemonade Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I'm trying not to worry about it too much. I'm on Day 10 and I just today wrote measurements down so I can track my progress that way.

It's just that a lot of doctors look at the number only so I'm worried when I go back to the dr in a few months he will only care that my weight is nearly the same and give me the same lecture again. I guess I do need a new doctor because all he did was sit me down, look at me, and start preaching. Didn't touch me once.

Also, I'm a bit confused as to how much I should be eating. I don't have an HRM so I put general circuit training that says I burn 500-600 calories-ish during the workout. And sometimes I don't end up with a net higher than 1200. Not sure if net calories are as important. I'm just so afraid to be eating too much. When I lost weight last year I was basically starving myself and as you can see, I couldn't maintain it.
  • mayflowermn
    mayflowermn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi there...I just wanted to let you know I read your post and I sent you a private message.

Take care!
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    1st get a new doctor.

2nd, take a deep breath and tell yourself this: I did it once, I can do it again and better this time because I have experience!

The body is programmed to respond to a famine (dieting is a famine to the body) by gaining back the weight it lost and then some. It's a protection mechanism and the only way to protect yourself from that is to change the way you think about food and life.

I recommend watching 'Hungry for Change'. It really helped me 'get it' and since I've been working hard to change my life and in doing so went from 275-282 down to 232 today and I KNOW that since I eat differently and think about life differently today I will lose more and keep it off :)

So, take step one (he's an a-hole IMHO) and then step 2 and never look back!
  • babylemonade
    babylemonade Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    1st get a new doctor.

2nd, take a deep breath and tell yourself this: I did it once, I can do it again and better this time because I have experience!

The body is programmed to respond to a famine (dieting is a famine to the body) by gaining back the weight it lost and then some. It's a protection mechanism and the only way to protect yourself from that is to change the way you think about food and life.

I recommend watching 'Hungry for Change'. It really helped me 'get it' and since I've been working hard to change my life and in doing so went from 275-282 down to 232 today and I KNOW that since I eat differently and think about life differently today I will lose more and keep it off :)

So, take step one (he's an a-hole IMHO) and then step 2 and never look back!

Thanks for the advice! I'll look up that movie asap. And I am definitely getting a new doctor. I want one that will actually help me. He was telling me that just eating right and exercising doesn't work and I'm sitting there thinking...wtf kind of doctor are you??! I wanted to tell him, yes it does because I did it before. I just need to stay on track and not give up. It just sucks talking to someone who has no faith in you. If you're looking to get medications or surgery to help you eat less, he's the doctor to go to. He doesn't care about his patients.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Also, the most accurate time to weigh yourself is first thing in the morning, without clothes on, after going to the bathroom :) Your weight can vary greatly during the day depending on what you're wearing, what you've eaten and drank (which has physical weight to it), if you're retaining water because of a salty meal the day before, if it's tom etc etc. And then of course different scales are calibrated differently so two scales may give you different weights, even if everything else was the same. Heck, if I move my scale to a different part of the house I get a different number!
  • sanibelshell
    sanibelshell Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track- and you can do it again! Don't make decisions after only a few weeks. I agree you have to weigh on the same scale under the same conditions to compare weight. Track your measurements but don't measure too often if it will set you back if you don't reach a certain goal. Track your food and don't eat alot of empty calories. You need a doctor that will help you and give you a plan, not a lecture and certainly not belittle you. And what really helped me- NO EXCUSES!
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Getting a new doctor would probably be best for you because you don't see eye to eye with your current doctor but I don't believe the doctor was shaming you, just trying to give you advice on a different approach to lose weight. There is an actual nonprofit program called Overeater's Anonymous. The truth hurts and you just didn't want to hear it but he's your doctor, you should be discussing these things with him.

Did he recommend you for medication over diet and exercise for a specific reason? Is there a medical condition that we do not know about like being insulin resistance or being prediabetic? Metaformin? What test did you do at the doctor's office other than getting on the scale?