advice for crossfit

Options
I'm debating on trying a crossfit gym. I'm wanting to know from anyone who has had success from crossfit for any advice or tips about taking a crossfit.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    I'm debating on trying a crossfit gym. I'm wanting to know from anyone who has had success from crossfit for any advice or tips about taking a crossfit.
    Learn correct form on basic lifts like squats, deadlifts, cleans, and rows before embarking on Crossfit because there's no assurance that the instructors will be good at assessing it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding like a snarky jerk, please search the forums as this topic has been asked more than a dozen times and usually sparks a useless debate.

Research what criteria make for a good coach/gym, try out as many boxes as you can find in your area, weigh out the cost options, ask a lot of questions and remember every workout is scaled to your fitness level, no you won't get "bulky"...

but you can see similar results at a lower price tag with joining a "globo" gym, hiring a PT for a few sessions or even once a month, picking up a strength program like NROLFW, Starting Strength or Stronglifts, doing moderate cardio and eating in a deficit.

There are perks to CF outside of the workouts themselves, usually a lot of boxes host extra clinics on fitness and nutrition, plus the community aspect is nice and its never boring.
  • cmccoy0901
    cmccoy0901 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Well the instructor of the crossfit is my former personal trainer. I worked with him for 8 months, and he left the gym I attend to open his own crossfit gym. My main source of working out is zumba but I'm wanting to add something to change things up some.
  • cmccoy0901
    Options
    Anyone else got advice for this type of workout?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Anyone else got advice for this type of workout?

yes. stop debating and go sign up. they usually have free class. they have a cheap on boarding program. see for yourself. you'll be the best judge of if you like it or not.
  • cmccoy0901
    Options
    I'm not too worried if I will like it or not just whether I can do it or not.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Only one way to find out.

Bonus tip: they will adjust the workouts to your current fitness level
  • cmccoy0901
    Options
    Only one way to find out.

Bonus tip: they will adjust the workouts to your current fitness level

ok thanks for the tip