Ideal weight?

Options
Hey! Like most of you users, I am looking to lose some weight. I am 23 and 5'3". I was always around 110 until last year when I started taking anxiety medicine (also was in Italy num num) and gained about 30 pounds! I couldn't believe how fast I gained weight and was definitely not used to the extra weight! Now, after a lot of motivation, I lost about 22 pounds (I'm 118) and I know numbers aren't reallllly that important, but to get to my question especially to any nutrition/fitness experts....

what would be my ideal weight to look on the skinnier side? I was thinking around 105, but I am not really sure.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    105 is underweight, by a bit. If you want more definition, lifting is your friend. And when you lift you need to eat.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Decide your ideal weight based on your ideal body fat percentage. Figure out what body fat percentage you'd like and you can calculate what your ideal weight needs to be
  • infamousdrew76
    infamousdrew76 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think it's pointless to set an "ideal" weight! Set a goal weight that is realistic for what you think you want to be, then work towards that. As you get closer you will probably care less about your weight, and adjust what you thought was your "ideal" weight based on what you see in the mirror and how you feel!
  • TinkerBelly65
    Options
    Ideal weight is what you want it to be. If you get back down to 110 and love it then just maintain it, pushing yourself for some one else's idea of what you should weight is dumb. Just do what feels natural and healthy!
  • AJ_G
    Options
    I think it's pointless to set an "ideal" weight! Set a goal weight that is realistic for what you think you want to be, then work towards that. As you get closer you will probably care less about your weight, and adjust what you thought was your "ideal" weight based on what you see in the mirror and how you feel!

^ Yea I agree with this too, it's more about how you feel when you look in the mirror.

You're gorgeous by the way :) Good luck with the weight loss
  • jennaberardino
    jennaberardino Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice! Gaining weight made me super insecure so it's nice to hear the encouraging words! I have heard before that lifting is really good, but if I am already very muscular (dancer for 18 years) will that just add or is it a great fat burner?
  • resilient86
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice! Gaining weight made me super insecure so it's nice to hear the encouraging words! I have heard before that lifting is really good, but if I am already very muscular (dancer for 18 years) will that just add or is it a great fat burner?

That really depends on your diet and the lifting program you choose. If you eat calories in excess, you will put on more muscle. Don't be afraid of lifting though! Here's one of my favorite pictures for some motivation. "It's not the number on the scale that matters!"

ae2ccf95898fa94381d22ffa43292e2c.jpg

And just for your reference, this pic came from a blog of a dancer who started lifting to lose weight and gain muscle. Here's her blog: http://backonpointe.tumblr.com/post/39609375456/eatclean-getfit-is-the-number-on-the-scales
  • jennaberardino
    Options

^ Yea I agree with this too, it's more about how you feel when you look in the mirror.

You're gorgeous by the way :) Good luck with the weight loss

good advice and thank you!
  • jennaberardino
    Options

That really depends on your diet and the lifting program you choose. If you eat calories in excess, you will put on more muscle. Don't be afraid of lifting though! Here's one of my favorite pictures for some motivation. "It's not the number on the scale that matters!"

ae2ccf95898fa94381d22ffa43292e2c.jpg

And just for your reference, this pic came from a blog of a dancer who started lifting to lose weight and gain muscle. Here's her blog: http://backonpointe.tumblr.com/post/39609375456/eatclean-getfit-is-the-number-on-the-scales

Thank you so much for the response and the reference! great motivation....I guess everyone must deal with this at some point or another in their lives....just gotta realize there are more important things than the "ideal weight"!!!! you are all great people!
  • AJ_G
    Options
    Can't find a female version of this, but here's the reason why people should put on muscle before/during their cut:

http://www.leighpeele.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/10-percent-body-fat-male-pictures1.jpg
  • jennaberardino
    Options
    wow big difference! I would rather not be muscular :/ i gotta look good in skinny jeans! (isn't that all they make nowadays?)
  • Spitgray3
    Spitgray3 Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm new to this... My Ideal weight is 200 lbs. I'm currently 224 (Loss a pound yesterday)