Anybody know much about calorie-free shirataki noodle?

Options
2»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    If a person is using diet foods then they probably will find them a good alternative despite the taste and texture. On the other hand if your just using moderation or IIFYM then you'll probably hurl like I did when I first tasted them.
  • Livdoesketo
    Livdoesketo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like them, and I tend to use them just as I'm restarting keto (low carb) so that I don't go over my carbs for the day. You have to boil the crap out of them, the tofu ones taste nicer, they don't adsorb sauce, they work best if you boil the crap out of them, then add them to stuff you are already frying and mix with something like cream cheese.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I really like them! You've already figured this out, but the yam ones are indeed calorie-free, while the tofu ones have about 20 cals for half a bag. They're cheap--about $2 per bag or less--and I use them a lot. I like mixing them up in a stir-fry or in a sukiyaki-type soup.

They are NOT "calorie-free". There is just a weird rule in the USA that you can list anything under 5 calories a serving as 0 calories.

Oh, my bad. They are between 0-4 calories, then. That could definitely break the bank, let me tell you. :wink:
  • texanintokyo
    texanintokyo Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I was surprised about all the bad reviews because they actually have no taste. Then I found out that what I have been eating is tofu noodles NOT shirataki noodles which are made from yam. I have heard recently in the US they have been adding tofu to take the taste of the shirataki noodles but my suggestion is to just buy the tofu noodles. The take on the taste of whatever you put them with and they are great in the summer when it it hot. I also use them instead of pasta when making spaghetti and meatballs. I just mix the tomato sauce with the noodles about an hour or two before eating so the flavors are blended.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    They are disgusting. :sick: I'd much rather spend the calories on real pasta that tastes yummy!