SO frustrated!!! Think it's back to 1200 cals grr.

Options

Replies

• Tigg1011
    Tigg1011 Posts: 146
    Options
    Yes I log everything honestly and weigh everything!

Sorry, I am working my way up with the strength training. Its one of Jackie Warners dvds and uses strictly weights. I have been doing this for a week now (3days/wk is what is recommended and what I am doing) before that I was doing 30ds. I can use 8 lbs on some of the exercises but a lot of it is shoulder heavy and I am really weak in my upper body...

Age-29
    Height- 5'2 1/2"
    SW-141
    CW-143
    GW-130

Also, the 1400 is from my TDEE-20% set to sedentary and only set to that incase I cant get a workout in, however I eat back the exercise calories my fitbit gives me most of the time.
  • snowboardandasuitcase
    snowboardandasuitcase Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend weighing yourself periodically over the next cpl days, to see if that's the common number. If another number shows up multiple times, that is more likely your weight. Last week (almost a month in) I had gained two pounds from the previous week, but today I had lost those two pounds, plus one! Just take the scale with a grain of (figurative) salt. You said you look better, so you know what you're doing is working. You're just over thinking one number. Keep with it, and I'm sure you'll start to see differences soon. Just make sure you're not eating too few cals!

Grat job sticking with your workouts thus far!
    :)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    My scale hasn't moved in the 4 months I've been lifting (I like food; don't judge!) BUT my clothes fit way differently and I have less cottage cheese on my legs than I did in February.

You can quit and go back to 1200 but my guess is you'll be kicking yourself in another month.
    When your strength training it makes a huge difference. But the OP misused the word strength training. Hers consist of weights lighter then my purse (note to OP, this is not called strength training). She's not going to have the same effects unless she loses weight or picks up strength training that trains for strength and not endurance runs with purses (there's nothing wrong with that, it's great for cardio, but it's not strength training).
  • oceanmistcali
    oceanmistcali Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am new so how do I figure out my right calories to eat according to the tdee thing.

I am 38 years old

5"4 inches tall

176 pounds

I am not sure what my activity level will be I do spark people boot camp challenge 7 days a week strength training

5 days a week of cardio for 25 minuets?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Sorry, I am working my way up with the strength training. Its one of Jackie Warners dvds and uses strictly weights. I have been doing this for a week now (3days/wk is what is recommended and what I am doing) before that I was doing 30ds. I can use 8 lbs on some of the exercises but a lot of it is shoulder heavy and I am really weak in my upper body...

Age-29
    Height- 5'2 1/2"
    SW-141
    CW-143
    GW-130

Also, the 1400 is from my TDEE-20% set to sedentary and only set to that incase I cant get a workout in, however I eat back the exercise calories my fitbit gives me most of the time.

Any new exercise causes water retention. If you're logging accurately then my suggestion is patience.

Eta: I know this wasn't your question but I'd strongly recommend weight training with compound lifts and heavy weights. I've done what you're doing now and the results were zilch compared to a progressive loading lifting program.
  • jhedeen
    jhedeen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone said above about increasing calories if you are lifting weights. You are gaining muscle and and you need to eat healthy calories to keep your body from going into starvation mode. If your not already pay good attention to your macros. I noticed I was really going over in my carbs. When I noticed that I starting getting changes again.
  • Tigg1011
    Options
    Well, thats what the dvd says its for. And not for nothing but Im not gonna start off with 10 lbs, you have to work your way up. Which I plan to do. Even when I had a personal trainer in the past, she started me out with lighter weights...thats normal.

When your strength training it makes a huge difference. But the OP misused the word strength training. Hers consist of weights lighter then my purse (note to OP, this is not called strength training). She's not going to have the same effects unless she loses weight or picks up strength training that trains for strength and not endurance runs with purses (there's nothing wrong with that, it's great for cardio, but it's not strength training).
    [/quote]
  • CoderGal
    Options

Age-29
    Height- 5'2 1/2"
    SW-141
    CW-143
    GW-130

There's nothing wrong with what you're doing and there's nothing wrong with moving little weights up slowly, but when people use the word strength training they generally mean the heaviest weight they can lift for about 5 reps...for women this usually starts at about 45 lbs. And I would ALWAYS be eating those calories back ALL THE TIME. Otherwise you're creating a larger and larger deficit which tends to cause your weight loss to slow, which seems to be the situation you are, because by the sounds of it you're still netting below 1200 if you're not logging all the time or eating them back. I weigh less then your goal weight and eat 2100 for example. Get it out of your head that 1400 is allot. It is not and is a lot less then an adult female should be eating over a long period of time.
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I've had one injury or another for upwards of 6 months. I've not been able to work out regularly, mostly because of pain, but sometimes just because I'm frustrated. I've been trying to eat at a maintenance level or deficit since September...I've gained back about 7 pounds since then.
    I'm doing 1200 for 2 weeks...and 2 weeks only. Just trying something different as my body does not want to co-operate with any serious exercise. I will go back up to TDEE-20 after I get back from the cottage.
    Good luck in your decision...sounds to me though that you are doing everything right...if your clothes are fitting better and you are feeling better, seems like a no brainer to keep doing what you're doing and not revert back to 1200 because of 2 pounds...
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Well, thats what the dvd says its for. And not for nothing but Im not gonna start off with 10 lbs, you have to work your way up. Which I plan to do. Even when I had a personal trainer in the past, she started me out with lighter weights...thats normal.
    For what you are doing, the weights you are doing is fine. And the dvd says its for strength training because the media has a skewed version of what women should do and many women are afraid to pick up weights and this gets around that. But you're not really going to get the benefits of weight lifting as the above poster said. But it is a great cardio exercise for endurance. It's cardio, not weight lifting. You huff and puff because you're moving, not because you're lifting something heavy.

And like I said most beginner untrained women start strength training with a 45lb bar and move up from there. But they do different exercises that are't cardio like the ones you are doing. You should consider giving it a try if you want to get lean. The benefits would be much greater then cardio strength and firmness wise. But the cardio you are doing now is very beneficial to your heart and lungs. Strength training is more about getting rid of fat, getting stronger and firmer, building bone density, etc.
  • snowboardandasuitcase
    snowboardandasuitcase Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    2-3 lb weights? I thought you were strength training, my mistake. All the same, exercise causes you to retain water. Hiking carrying no weight can still put me up 10lbs.

How much do you weigh and what is your height and age? 1400 is likely not your TDEE, I've never heard of anyone having a TDEE that low unless they were malnourished and had a eating disorder at which point you shouldn't be here. Your TDEE is your total daily expenditure. 1400 would be your TDEE minus a bunch. I suggest you pick up a book and start reading about weight loss so you have a better understanding and don't give yourself any more frights. The forums can be misleading. But weight is never going to be constant. You're always going to be fluctuating.

Geeeez, relax. She said she's only been doing this for a month. Starting off with smaller weights and a higher number of reps is a great way to go. "I suggest you pick up a book and start reading about" how to conduct yourself helpfully. This is not the "General Diet and Weight Loss Scrutiny/Attack" section. We're all doing the best we can, and if you're having a bad day and need to talk...

:flowerforyou:
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I am new so how do I figure out my right calories to eat according to the tdee thing.

I am 38 years old

5"4 inches tall

176 pounds

I am not sure what my activity level will be I do spark people boot camp challenge 7 days a week strength training

5 days a week of cardio for 25 minuets?

I suggest you start your own topic so things dont get confusing:flowerforyou:
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 1", 56 years of age (on 6/27!) weigh 131 at the moment (about 2 pounds up due to water) and am fairly sedentary due to a connective tissue syndrome. Can't do heavy lifting or real strength training because my muscles and ligaments tear but can do the sorts of weights you're doing (2-5 pounds) and am building toward 10 (whoo-hoo! - sounds silly, I know!) . I have what my orthopedic surgeon referred to as one of the "tiniest bone structures" he's ever seen. I'm shooting to get down to 110 - or 105 - because I need to get strain off my joints in order to stay out of a wheelchair. My diet (the stuff I eat) is very good so all my blood work looks great.

Now, all that said, my TDEE sits right around 1700; less 20% it's around 1350-60. And in general that's what I eat - MFP had me at 1200, I bumped to 1250, but I generally burn an additional 100-150 exercise calories a day and I always eat them back. IF with all I've got going on I'm eating around 1350-1400, I cannot imagine you at your age (and higher metabolic rate) dropping down to 1200 and getting anything going. I'm with everyone else here...increase your lifting at a rate that feels right to you (but don't lollygag); eat at minimum around 1400, and be patient!!!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    At your weight, a 20% deficit from TDEE is too aggressive. Try 15%. And yes, you can lift heavier, and it will help you more than 1000 reps with 2 to 3 lb weights. I'm smaller than you are, and TDEE-15% for me is 1700 calories. I don't do any cardio. I just lift heavy 3 times per week. At 1700 calories per day, I'm losing half a pound per week, on average.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Yes, I actually did cry a little...I wasn't expecting to have lost a ton, I was going to be excited for even 1/2 a lb. This was the whole reason I waited a month before weighing myself again because I got so discouraged I was ready to give up so I said screw it I wont weigh myself for a while...& now Im up 2. I know muscles retain water to repair them..but do you think with just using 3 & 5 lb weights I can really retain that much? I plan on continuining to workout, discouraged or not because I feel great when I do, however I was thinking maybe I am eating too much? I rely on my fitbit for most of this which gives me the TDEE of about 1400 as well as other websites...I dont know. I havent been this heavy in almost 2 yrs and now instead of 10 lbs to lose, I have 12.
    THANK YOU!! to everyone btw for all your input, I really appreciate it.

I gained (on the scale, not actual fat) when I was doing 30 Day Shred. It eventually went down, though. If you're working out as much as you say, and only eating 1400 calories, you aren't gaining fat.

In my opinion, 1400 is too low, too.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    2-3 lb weights? I thought you were strength training, my mistake. All the same, exercise causes you to retain water. Hiking carrying no weight can still put me up 10lbs.

How much do you weigh and what is your height and age? 1400 is likely not your TDEE, I've never heard of anyone having a TDEE that low unless they were malnourished and had a eating disorder at which point you shouldn't be here. Your TDEE is your total daily expenditure. 1400 would be your TDEE minus a bunch. I suggest you pick up a book and start reading about weight loss so you have a better understanding and don't give yourself any more frights. The forums can be misleading. But weight is never going to be constant. You're always going to be fluctuating.

Geeeez, relax. She said she's only been doing this for a month. Starting off with smaller weights and a higher number of reps is a great way to go. "I suggest you pick up a book and start reading about" how to conduct yourself helpfully. This is not the "General Diet and Weight Loss Scrutiny/Attack" section. We're all doing the best we can, and if you're having a bad day and need to talk...

If this isn't a scrutiny attack, then what is it lol.

I didn't mean to be attacking, I tried to be helpful. I'm just saying that if she says strength training most people will come in here and make the assumption that it is about 5 reps of as heavy weight as she can lift because thats what the majority of strength trainers think. I just pointed out a misuse of a word for her own benefit really, didn't mean to attack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strength_training

If you go down to the table and look up 'strength' you'll see it's 1-5 reps. Once you get into endurence it sways more towards cardiovascular benefits then strength.

Like I said, it's a great exercise, I'd hardly say that's attacking. I just tend to tell the truth. And that shouldn't sting at all. If you go from no exercise to doing anything you're benefiting. And this type of exercise just has a different type of benefit. But if you call it something it's not then you could get misleading advice.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    It has now been one month that I have been using the TDEE-20 method and have been eating 1400 calories and sometimes more depending on what my fitbit says. I did the 30ds and this week started strength training dvds (30 mins) and Im on my 2nd week of c25k ( I started on wk4 since I wasnt going straight from the couch) Anyway! I feel better, I've been working out nearly every day with rest days here and there and thought i was possibly looking better as well. Well today I got on the scale for the first time since starting all this (a month now) and I am up 2lbs! Wth?! Yes, I know muscle weighs more than fat but there is no way I put that much muscle on in such a short time and eating at a deficit. Im feeling really discouraged and upset. I think maybe I just need to go back to eating 1200 cals. It worked to begin with but then I plateaued which is why I switched to TDEE method. :ohwell: :sad:

Just for fun, let us math.

The difference between 1400 and 1200 is 200 calories. A pound is 3,500 calories.

200*30=6,000
    2*3,500= 7,000

That is a difference of 1,000 calories. So gaining a full 2lbs of fat or muscle mass is not quite there.

So, OP, what is the more likely cause of your weight gain? Muscle or fat mass gain, or water/food waste retention?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Suggesting someone educate themselves is scrutinizing. Riiiight.
  • Tigg1011
    Options
    Ok, thank you everyone for your input. 1400 calories is my base. Like I said, I eat back my fitbit calories from exercise, you can look at my diary I usually range from 15-1600 calories most days. If you think I suck in my diary let me know..I thought about trying to cut carbs out but Im looking for a sustainable livable change for good. Not some quick fix.
  • errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Have you actually calculated your TDEE using In Place of a Roadmap on here? I had a FitBit a while back and the numbers it gave me were absolute crap. It had me eating way less than my BMR. Here's the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It had set me at around 1400 calories/day too, but I'm 5'10" and weight about 170. I don't think it's a super great tool for figuring out your numbers.