Calculating Food at Restaurant

Options
CookNLift
CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
I am taking my grandma to a German Biergarten on Sunday and I was looking at the menu and don't really know how to add the calories, portions, or food entries for some of the meals. What should I do?

Replies

• barnzey901
    barnzey901 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I tend to split each food up and search for similar things on my fitness pal.

I don't always get an exact match but I get the closest I can - Even better if the nutritional information is on the restaurants website like quite a few do now

Just estimate the portion size and try and find the closest thing to it :smile:
  • CookNLift
    Options
    What about some items that are kind of hard to find on MFP; like Schnitzel lol
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Schnitzel is in the MFP database - lots of choices.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    You can also use recipe sites like allrecipes.com. Search on the food item and you will find its nutritional data. The restaurant preparation of the dish and the all recipe dish may not be exactly alike but it at least you will have something to go by.
  • CookNLift
    Options
    Thanks everyone I think I'm going to do just that! I guess I typed shnitzel wrong the first time I searched for it lol whoops.

Just wondering, but I am going out to cocktail hour tonight with people from work and I will probably have a vodka and club soda with lime. But the appetizer choices are so bleh and unhealthy.

Anyone wanna help me figure out the best choice?

Buffalo Wings...............................................................................................4.25
    Spinach & Artichoke Dip...............................................................................3.50
    Mozzarella Sticks.........................................................................................3.50
    Chicken Tenders..........................................................................................3.50
    Nachos Grande............................................................................................4.25
    Chuck Wagon Fries......................................................................................3.00
    Prime 15 Chili...............................................................................................2.50
    Onion Rings..................................................................................................2.50
    French Fries.................................................................................................1.75
    Chips & Salsa...............................................................................................1.50
    Potato Skins.................................................................................................3.50
    Hot 2- Chilli Dogs W/Fries............................................................................4.50
    5 oz. Hamburger w/ Fries.............................................................................3.95
    Sliders..........................................................................................................4.00
    Spicy Queso-Cheese Sticks........................................................................4.00

Or

Oysters On The Half Shell....1.75

Connecticut Little Neck Clams.....1.00 each

New Zealand Mussels......0.50 each

Colossal Shrimp Cocktail.....2.75 each

SAMPLE PLATTERS

MINI.....10.95
    2 Clams, 2 Oysters, 2 Colossal Shrimp, 2 New Zealand Mussels

SMALL.....27.95
    6 Clams, 6 Oysters, 4 Colossal Shrimp, 4 New Zealand Mussels
  • CookNLift
    Options
    Since I'll probably cook myself dinner when I get home I am thinking about the following:

1 vodka and club / lime

6 Oysters on the Half
    2 Clams on the Half (both with a little bit of cocktail sauce and lime)

(I don't get why so many places have such garbage appetizers for happy hour. I wish they would shy away from the oily gross foods and move towards healthier ones)
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Broiled or steamed seafood is always a good choice, as long as you don't dip in butter!
    Wings are one of my weakness - but count on 75 cals a pop so if you're eating a dozen wings that's 900 cals right there, not including the blue cheese dressing.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Since I'll probably cook myself dinner when I get home I am thinking about the following:

1 vodka and club / lime

6 Oysters on the Half

(I don't get why so many places have such garbage appetizers for happy hour. I wish they would shy away from the oily gross foods and move towards healthier ones)

They must not be that gross or they wouldn't be on the menu anymore if they didn't sell
  • penelopeyvonne
    penelopeyvonne Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It's *just* possible that they may publish their calories online... I've found this with a couple of restaurants recently, esp. if they're part of a chain. Makes making that meal choice so VERY much easier!!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,656 Member
    Options
    Oysters on the half shell have almost no calories and have protein too.
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I am going to be picking and choosing to best record what I eat on Saturday. I'm taking myself out for breakfast for my birthday and then my parents are coming down and taking me out to supper. (I'm kissed my 1200 calorie limit goodbye already for that day) Neither of the places I am going to are in the database (already checked) and neither list the nutrition info on their website.
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    OP: My suggestion: Look up the calories in advance. Think about how much you like the food and decide if it is "worth it." If it is: decide on portion size in advance, enjoy and if you are over calories there have a lighter calorie dinner or make up the calories by eater lighter tomorrow. Do same with the other things you care about tracking such as fat, sugar, protein, vitamins.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options

Because of speed....very easy and fast to make fried foods....put in a fryer and forget about it until timer goes off. For a resturant that is usually pumping out happy hour plates...this is a huge time saver...and with so few health consious people going there....its a win for them. Only way that will change is if people vote with their wallets and not eat that stuff....that being said...dont think I'm on a soap box...I love fried foods. :)
  • CookNLift
    Options

1 vodka and club / lime

6 Oysters on the Half

They must not be that gross or they wouldn't be on the menu anymore if they didn't sell

They're gross because they are pre-made frozen foods that are simply deep fried and put on a plate with no actual preparation aside from draining the grease. They're on the menu because most people don't care what they're eating and order the appetizers to save money and because they're hungry.