PX90 DVD question for those who did it

Options
Hi all, I have the PX90 DVD the hour or so version per DVD. I can only do 15-20 min at a time. would you suggest to do only 15-20 min of each dvd sequence on a weekly basis or would you go through each dvd 15-20 min at a time before doing the next one in the weekly sequence?

Replies

• explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hey, P90X graduate here.

I would say your best bet, if possible, is to do the 15-20 minutes, take a 5 minute break, do the next 15-20, until you are done with the workout.

Just, don't hurt yourself. Take your time, take breaks. P90X isn't about hurting yourself, its about getting fit
  • dltaylorii
    dltaylorii Posts: 132
    Options
    Hey, P90X graduate here.

I would say your best bet, if possible, is to do the 15-20 minutes, take a 5 minute break, do the next 15-20, until you are done with the workout.

Just, don't hurt yourself. Take your time, take breaks. P90X isn't about hurting yourself, its about getting fit

^ This.

Superman. Banana.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have to say, that's the reason I stopped P90X. I was doing the entire workout, and it took way too long because I needed frequent pauses. I completed 6 wks and gave up. I don't think that just completing the first part of the workout will get you to where you want to be; each session is meant to be done as an integrated whole. You could just do one set of each exercise, which will save time if you fast forward, but you won't get the same benefit.

You might want to do Chalean Extreme instead; those workouts are just over a half hour each and are much more schedule friendly.
  • explosivedonut
    Options
    Hey, P90X graduate here.

^ This.

Superman. Banana.

I have never hated Tony Horton more in my entire life. Thanks for the flashbacks, lol.
  • dltaylorii
    dltaylorii Posts: 132
    Options
    I have never hated Tony Horton more in my entire life. Thanks for the flashbacks, lol.

Anytime. ;)

I still throw in some P90x videos as supplemental workouts throughout my week. I have one of those love/hate relationships with that magnificent goofy *kitten*.
  • carolose46
    carolose46 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions. School is finishing and I have my special need son (wheelchair and non-autonomous) without breaks for the summer. I can only do 15-20 min workouts because he needs frequent attention and care. Since the DVD are in the house I was wondering how could I better used them. I know it's not the best but like the rest of my life I try to make the best out of it ;)
  • jhedeen
    jhedeen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree chalene extreme is great and short. Les Mills Pump have fairly short workouts too.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I still throw in some P90x videos as supplemental workouts throughout my week. I have one of those love/hate relationships with that magnificent goofy *kitten*.

:laugh: love that
  • ellenkilpatrick
    ellenkilpatrick Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i say stick with the workouts...eventually you will be able to do the entire 90 minutes at one time... be patient though.. and yes i agree with everyone else... it is definitely a workout that i love to hate.... but i have to mute "ole boy" and play music to keep me going.....
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have one of those love/hate relationships with that magnificent goofy *kitten*.

Ha!!!
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about doing the P90 before doing the P90X, or some of the 10 minute trainer series. P90X is somewhat of a bear if you are not use to physical training. But here is the other thing I will say. Remember not trying to be mean!! Is the reason you can only do 15-20 minutes because that is when your mind says your done, or is that really when your body says you are done.

I remember my fist experience with P90X, I got half way through the second round of Chest & Back and blacked out. Obviously my body said that is enough. But the next time I did that workout I got through the whole thing, it sucked but I did it, then it got even easier from there. So unless you a puking or passing out you probably have the ability to go a little farther. Maybe even by using more of the modified moves.
  • carolose46
    Options
    Have you thought about doing the P90 before doing the P90X, or some of the 10 minute trainer series. P90X is somewhat of a bear if you are not use to physical training. But here is the other thing I will say. Remember not trying to be mean!! Is the reason you can only do 15-20 minutes because that is when your mind says your done, or is that really when your body says you are done.

I remember my fist experience with P90X, I got half way through the second round of Chest & Back and blacked out. Obviously my body said that is enough. But the next time I did that workout I got through the whole thing, it sucked but I did it, then it got even easier from there. So unless you a puking or passing out you probably have the ability to go a little farther. Maybe even by using more of the modified moves.

Thank you for your suggestions. School is finishing and I have my special need son (wheelchair and non-autonomous) without breaks for the summer. I can only do 15-20 min workouts because he needs frequent attention and care. Since the DVD are in the house I was wondering how could I better used them. I know it's not the best but like the rest of my life I try to make the best out of it ;)
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have been doing P90X at my own pace for 4 years now. I don't follow the program to a T every week but here's what I do for maintenance and it seems to work. For the weight routines (shoulders & arms, legs & back, and chest & back) I go at my own pace. I don't even watch the videos anymore. I printed off the worksheets with the list of exercises, turn on music, and go through the exercises at the rate my body is happy with that day. When I want to get done faster, I don't take breaks. If I am feeling more relaxed, I take lots of breaks. Some days I lift heavy, some days light. I think what matters most is that you are moving something but I'd try to get through a whole video in one session. Even if you use a chair for all your pull-ups and do all your push ups on your knees, it is still going to do amazing things for you! That's a promise!
  • carolose46
    Options
    I have been doing P90X at my own pace for 4 years now. I don't follow the program to a T every week but here's what I do for maintenance and it seems to work. For the weight routines (shoulders & arms, legs & back, and chest & back) I go at my own pace. I don't even watch the videos anymore. I printed off the worksheets with the list of exercises, turn on music, and go through the exercises at the rate my body is happy with that day. When I want to get done faster, I don't take breaks. If I am feeling more relaxed, I take lots of breaks. Some days I lift heavy, some days light. I think what matters most is that you are moving something but I'd try to get through a whole video in one session. Even if you use a chair for all your pull-ups and do all your push ups on your knees, it is still going to do amazing things for you! That's a promise!

thank you :flowerforyou:
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion that you may want to try is to go back and start with Power 90 before you go through P90X. Other Beachbody programs that I would suggest would be Chalean Extreme, or Slim in 6 to prepare you for P90X. I started my weight loss journey with Tony, and have him to thank for getting me where I am in my mind, body, and career.

That program changed my life. I remember my first workout I thought I was going to die after about 10 minutes, I kept going and modified/took breaks wherever I needed to. Eventually I started noticing that hey! last time I could barely eek out 3 of those and I just did 15 with no problem!!

If you don't want to purchase a stepping stone program then I would suggest you follow the schedule, do your 10-15 minutes and then the next week aim for 20-25 minutes. Or you can pause it and kee coming back if you need to. What I've found in myself and with training clients is that most people tend to underestimate themselves, your mind will tell you to give up way before your body needs to. Hope this helps
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for the other X'ers out there.... what kind of soup do you have today??

German Potato Soup
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

I've got a special needs kiddo too (cerebral palsy). I understand how hard it can be to get a workout in.

I don't think doing P90X would work for you with your limited time. The time you have available would barely get you through the warm up and you certainly don't want to jump into any of the programs without a warming up first.

For shorter workouts, you may want to look into some of Jillian Michaels' programs. Most are 30 minutes. I've heard ChaLean is shorter too. I also use a program called You Are Your Own Gym. It's bodyweight exercises you can do with common household items as props.
  • ben_kuder
    ben_kuder Posts: 1
    Options
    Go to maximizedliving.com and try the MaxT3 workout. It is 2 DVDs each has 6 12 minute workouts on them and they are intense and very modifiable. I alternate DVDs every week doing 6 workouts a week.
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Shorter workouts tend to be even more intense than long ones. If there are problems with Px90 there will be with other workouts as well. Don't give up - the more you sweat, the stroger and more flexible you will be. I suggest you do what you can, but do not forget to stretch and cool down if you end after 20 min.
  • explosivedonut
    Options
    Ah, my mistake. I thought the workout was because of fitness level, not from other things. You might want to take a look at 10 Minute Trainer (as others suggested). There is also Focus T25 http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/focus-t25-workout.do a series of 25 (or so) minute workouts with Shaun T (The dude who did Insanity). It's not out yet, but that could be a good option for you.