Protein??? Carbs???

Options
I am new to myfitnesspal and I'm LOVING it! I've recently lost 20 lbs and am now at somewhat of a plateau. I started P90X this week and am loving that too. I was told by a friend (who knows his stuff) that I should cut down on carbs and boost my proteins. I'm having a real problem with this, even eating a reasonable amount of carbs I still seem to be going over every day. Can anyone give me any pointers/advice? Also, who can give me some good ideas for protein packed foods and snacks?

Replies

• fullboost
    fullboost Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well done so far first of all!
    As for protein snacks here's a few things i use to boost my protein intake
    Tuna - 30g of protein in one tin, i personally eat mine with chopped onions, light mayo and a few spices.
    Beans - Most types have a lot of protein, but your typical tin of baked beans in sauce will have 15 - 20g of protein in.
    Other meats and fish - Pretty self explanatory, chicken breast is always easy and flexible

Of course those aren't the only choices, just the ones i commonly eat.

And if your still having trouble there's always the option of protein powders.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    The reason why your friend suggested upping protein, especially with you doing P90X is to help build muscles. I'm not sure how much he said to cut back on carbs, but you still need some carbs, because that's one of the sources that provide you energy for your workouts.

I agree with fullboost; tuna, salmon, shrimp, chicken, turkey, pork are great sources of protein (try to stick with lean cuts to minimize fat), as well as beans. Cottage cheese, milk, and eggs are also good sources of proteins. Protein powder or bars are an option and I do that occasionally especially after a big weights session. Cut back on white bread, pasta, etc and go whole wheat as those are better for you and should be slightly less in carbs, sodium, and will have a better source of fiber and protein as well. Hope this helps!
  • aud524
    aud524 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info fullboost! It's definitely helpful!
  • aud524
    Options
    Thanks lilchino! I almost forgot about cottage cheese! :smile:
  • Pir8dave
    Pir8dave Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm with Fullboost.

You are doing a great job. I have had several "plateaus" as I have lost weight. Try to get to a 40-50% carb and protein ratio. I use protein powders (Good ones with low sugar, no soy, only whey protein) from people like Cyposport/Muscle Milk, EAS and others that have 25-26g of protein per serving. I also find low fat or no fat cheeses and yogurts helpful. I mix in a tiny bit of whole grain low sugar granola in a 1/2 cup of yogurt is a great snack before a workout. Also, black beans are a great source of protein and carbs, as well as other beans and legumes (pintos, lentils, etc.) Chopped nuts like walnuts, almonds and pecans (no salt) in measured quantities are great, too.

Also, you really have to eat enough. Women doing P-90X should be getting 1500 cals a day I think I have read. At any rate no less than 1200. If you skimp on the calories and do intense workouts, you will run a deficit that will make your body store up what you eat. I did 2/3 of Round 1 P-90X thinking I would lose weight faster if I only did 1200 calories a day. It did not work and I stayed at the same weight for two months.

Keep up the good work.

All the best,
    Dave
  • aud524
    Options
    Thanks Dave! Good to know about the calorie intake and P90X too!
  • melgibson
    melgibson Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    For me the easiest way to up my protein and lower my carbs is to swap a meal or two for a home made protein shake.
    I love them, I also only use soya milk in them (and on my cereal), has less carbs and sugar and more protein than regular milk.
    I then just try to eat carbs with protein as much as I can, so I try to avoid carbs alone, if I make an effort to eat this way it comes on by it's self.

I use soya protein powder as I have found that it has the least fat, sugar and carbs and best for adding the most protein without all the other stuff.
    I also eat nuts instead of crisps or snacky things.
    All these little changes have an impact and they all add up.

Good luck with your goals :o)
  • Pir8dave
    Pir8dave Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    There's a great P-90X Thread we have going here on MFP. Lots of good info from fellow P-90x folks:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/111145-p90x-starting-a-new-thread?page=9
  • aud524
    Options
    Thanks Guys!