Another BodyPump post? Yep.

Options
tl;dr - I want to focus on fat loss vs. muscle gain. Is BodyPump right for me?

Almost total newb here. I was hoping to get some advice from some of the more experienced folk.

BodyPump: What is it good for? That's my question.

I'm a reader, and I tend to do a lot of research before I do something. I've taken a few BodyPump classes and I've enjoyed them, but I'm wondering if they are what is right for me. The research I've done tells me that in order for a body to gain muscle, it needs to have a caloric surplus. While I do want to gain muscle eventually, fat loss is more important to me right now, so I'm operating on a caloric deficit.

I also have heard and experienced that BodyPump isn't considered "lifting" because the participants tend to use lighter weights. Would it be considered more as circuit training?

Replies

• lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    id consider more a cardio workout, light weights numerous reps, hit the free weights and cable machine to do a weights workout
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I used to do body pump 2-3 times a week for quite a long time. I'm now lifting free weights (heavy) and am far stronger with a better physique than when I did body pump. It's not a complete waste of time but there are far better ways to get much better results
  • drebabyy
    drebabyy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The good thing about body pump is your going to work every major muscle group in a hour!! I'd rather do that than the free weights! I do the free weights but it's a little more time consuming. I sit at the stations dreading getting up. Once a again i choose pump because you move along with the instructor, jumping from one muscle group. And i feel like i have to do it!
  • Unfairman
    Unfairman Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!

The consensus seems to be that BodyPump is a pretty good cardio workout, but doing some actual lifting (even on a caloric deficit diet) would also be beneficial.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy the classes you would be more likely to stick to it in the long run too. I take fitness classes because I enjoy them and push myself more than on my own. I hope to do heavy lifting when I get closer to my goal but for now I am just finding things I enjoy doing, and getting healthier.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    The good thing about body pump is your going to work every major muscle group in a hour!! I'd rather do that than the free weights! I do the free weights but it's a little more time consuming. I sit at the stations dreading getting up. Once a again i choose pump because you move along with the instructor, jumping from one muscle group. And i feel like i have to do it!
    Your understanding of free weights are misunderstood. You ARE using free weights (no machine) in bodypump albeit not heavy. If you're sitting at "stations" then you're probably using machines (which isn't free weights).
    And you can work every major muscle group in 30 minutes with just a few exercises with HIIT training and heavier weights.
    Bodypump is basically a weight endurance/cardio class.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BrownEyeAngel
    BrownEyeAngel Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Putting on muscle requires a calorie surplus (with a correct amount of protein), progressive overload, and volume training (to a point).

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I love body pump and do a class every Saturday morning! out instructor is excellent! and I log it under Circuit Training.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    It is possible to add lean muscle mass while in a calorie deficit. Quite frankly that is what you are really aiming for. You want to have your body turn to its fat stores for fuel. Now with that said, don't expect to put on any size in a calorie deficit. Personally, if it were me I would continue to maintain that deficit until you reach a reasonable body fat % then go up in calories and weight training to start adding mass.
  • Unfairman
    Unfairman Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jim! This is exactly the answer I was looking for.